Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eyeofgemini

Preschool

eyeofgemini

Ok so my 4 year old isn't quite old enough for kindergarten and the preschools won't do any testing or shots. Any ideas?

Mich

Find a way to meet other moms with diabetic kids. Form a playgroup. You'll have a lot to discuss and eventually might feel comfortable swapping daycare with the others.

If you are a working mom, the only answer would be private daycare. Some day, a pump will make things easier.

Mich

EeyoreButterfly

Have you tried a head start program? Those typically are run in a school building so she would have access to a nurse. I'm also thinking that this could be an Americans with Disabilities Act issue and that testing/shots would fall under reasonable accomodations. Perhaps your doctor will know of somewhere that will take children with health issues.

Emmy's_mom

HI - we're newly diagnosed. My daughter is supposed to be starting pre school in september but it's only a 2 1/2 hour program that fortunately falls right in between her breakfast and snack time. although I am still very concerend and now have to discuss it with the school first.

genie86333
I went to kindergarten at 4. Have they changed the rules?

Yep. It used to be that if your 5th b-day was before a certain date (as late as November for some places) they'd let you start at 4. Now most places (at least public schools) make you wait til the next school year after the 5th b-day.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.