Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kmac

Sweet Potatoes

kmac

Hi everyone--I am looking to capitalize on the collective wisdom on this forum!

I have recently discovered sweet potatoes and learned that I can tolerate a small portion of them without a spike particularly if I eat them with some fat. This is good news as potatoes are problematic for me.

The sweet potato is not a food that I have eaten a lot in the past and I don't know much about them. Formerly, I have eaten them on only Thanksgiving baked until well done and sweet. I know in some areas they are much more commonly eaten.

I have a couple of questions and am looking for advice about recipes and cooking methods.

1. Main question--I have trouble finding them at the grocery stores here. I see some of what look to be the same thing to me labled as Yams. What is the difference or are they the same?

2. If there is a difference which would be better--ie perhaps less carbs and more fiber. Some are HUGE and some are potato sized--any difference there?

3. I have been trying them as a potato substitute and using in place of potatoes. Any other ideas?

My next attempt, I think, will be trying to replicate a "scrambler" with hash browns, sausage and scrambled eggs with cheese such as served at Denny's and other such restaurants. Any ideas about this? I am looking forward to input from other members. I have learned so much from others here about changing my eating without going on a "diet" and feeling deprived. Thanks in advance.

Kathi

davef

Kathi,

When I was first DX'ed I too found that I could tolerate Sweet Potatoes, I think part of the reason is that they have a fair deal of fiber. To be honest I went over board and ate them everyday until I got sick of the sight of them.

I believe that in North America alot of people use Yam/Sweet Potato as interchangeable terms however, the real Yam is not related to the sweet potato at all. They tend to be much bigger and have a darker skin. Also Yams are have a much higher sugar content (taste far sweeter). Sweet Potatoes tend to have a yellow/organge skin and flesh. A quick google search tells me that current varities of Sweet Potato are Goldrush, Georgia Red, Centennial, Puerto Rico, New Jersey, and Velvet.

I have a recipe for a vegetarian main dish (Sweet Potato Tangine) if you are interested

Penny

Kathi, I bake my sweet potato in the skin. Usually, I put some butter on it and sprinkle a little Spenda and add cinnamon. I only use the Spenda for the cinnamon. I have also made "fries" from them. It is a little more work, but they are really good. I cut the potato into french fry size slices, coat the cookie sheet in a little oil and put it in the oven...works good for me. I also like my baked sweet potato with just butter and a little salt and pepper. I do not seem to have a spike with it anyway it is fixed.

davef

Ok, I'm in work right now. I'll dig out the recipe later. It's from an Australian Chef (Bill Granger). I've made the dish for some vegetarian friends and they all liked it.

Mich

Hi Kathi,

Sweet potatoes/yams are one of the few carb-ish things I allow myself. I've found the carbs listed from 20-24 grams per 1/2 cup. I eat mine with a little butter and salt. They do produce a spike in my blood sugar, even with the skin included unless I pre-bolus.

Mich

kmac

Thanks very much for the ideas, Penny and Mich. I am looking forward to seeing Dave's recipe later. Sounds interesting. I'm no chef, but I can try!

Kathi

foxl
Thanks very much for the ideas, Penny and Mich. I am looking forward to seeing Dave's recipe later. Sounds interesting. I'm no chef, but I can try!

Kathi

LOVE to cook and looking forward to recipes! Tagines are spicy ...

LoraH

We don't eat a lot of sweet potatoes, but when we do I usually cube them and then toss the cubes into a bag with a little olive oil and a packet of dry onion soup mix. Then cook them in the oven till they are soft inside and a bit of a crunch on the outside.

davef

Here's the Sweet Potato recipe I promised, while it has honey (not much) I find I tolerate it well:

Sweet Potato And Chickpea Tagine

Serves 4

2 Tablespoons Olive Oil

1 Large Onion, Finely Chopped

2 Garlic Cloves, Crushed

2 Teaspoons Grated Fresh Ginger

2 Teaspoons Ground Cumin

1 Cinnamon Stick

2 Teaspoon Saffron Threads, Soaked In 3 Tablespoons Cold Water

400 ml (14 fl oz) Vegetable Stock

800 g (1 lb 12 oz) Sweet Potatoes, Peeled And Cut Into Small Cubes

400 g (14 oz) Tin Chickpeas, Rinsed

200 g (7 oz) Green Beans, Trimmed And Cut Into Short Lengths

1 Teaspoon Honey

Sea Salt

Freshly Ground Black Pepper

To Serve

Couscous

Plain yoghurt

Chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)

Heat the olive oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over medium heat.

Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5—6 minutes or until the onion is soft.

Add the garlic, ginger, cumin and cinnamon and cook, stirring, for 1—2 minutes until fragrant.

Add the saffron threads in their water and the vegetable stock and bring to the boil.

Add the sweet potato, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until the sweet potato is tender.

Add the chickpeas and beans and simmer for 5 minutes, or until beans are bright green and tender.

Stir through the honey and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Serve the tagine on couscous, topped with some yoghurt and chopped coriander.

kmac

Thanks, Dave :)

Looks like a very interesting recipe. Something very different to what I usually fix. Chick peas and beans seem ok for me as well, so I will try it and see how it goes.

Kathi

HuskerMychal

I saw you were looking for tater substitutes too. One thing I have used for smashed taters is califlour steamed then mixed with a bit of oleo and seasalt/garlic powder mix. have "kicked" it up a notch too with some white curry. texture is about the same but you have to use a seasoning or two or it tastes like smashed califlour.

pands45

I make a seet potato casserole for the whole family. I use sweet potato with butter and mash it until it has a mashed potato consistency. I put a layer of this on bottom of casserole dish. Then I brown an onion ,2 garlic cloves and 1/4 pound lean ground minced beef or chicken with steak spice. Once cooked, I drain out fat and layer on top of sweet potato. Then I add sweet potato and butter mash again on top. You can also change it up by substituting bottom or top layer with cauliflower mashed with butter.Sprinkle with paprika and bake for 1/3 hr at 350. Your good to go. Healthy and No spikes!!! Best of all ,the kids eat it too.

mzteacher

hi pands,

that sounds like it would be good....how big is the dish you use? also how do you cook the sweet potato first and do you use the skin?

thanks

susan

pands45

Susan,

I use a rectangular regular size pyrex glass dish .I peel, then boil the sweet potatoes until they are soft like potatoes.Then I mash them.

adiantum

I make salmon patties with sweet potatoes.

slice, m'wave sweet potatoes then mash when cooked.

Add 1 can salmon & chopped onion & 1 egg to bind the mix together. Roll into pattys & pan fry.

I try to leave them stand in the fridge about an hour which helps them hold their shape

Russell A.

My wife suggested to par-boil the sweet pats before you fry them up for home fries. They are more likely to be crispy.

Umm, making me hungry!

Russell

magicdave

I see that your question regarding why the orange flesh sweet potatoes are called yams. As far as preparing them the sky it the limit. I only buy Organic Sweet Potatoes and only smaller sizes because they steam more quickly.

Here is a simple recipe that will provide you with a delicious side dish (I sometimes make a meal out of this recipe).

Steam your sweet potatoes until they are almost tender. Remove them and immediately put them in a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. When they are chilled I wrap them up in some parchment paper covered with aluminum foil. You can use plastic wrap but I try to avoid products made from petroleum. Wait a whole day before using the sweet potatoes.

I slice one (1) sweet potatoe lengthwise and place the halves cut side down in preheated Organic Virgin Coconut Oil. If the oil is hot they will not stick to an iron frying pan. When they are browned to my taste I put them on a plate with an Organic Free Range Chicken Egg that I fry in Organic Duck Fat. Pour a little sugar free pancake syrup over the sweet potatoes and have a truly sumptuous breakfast. :-)

jwags

In our stores they are readily available. I usually buy them by the case at Costco. I peel them , chop in squares and toss with oilve oil and chipole and then roast them. I also like to make sweet potato - pumpkin soup. I peel and chop and saute with onions, celery and any other veggies I have left over. When soft add chicken or vegetarian broth and add a can of pumkin puree. Simmer for 30 minutes or so and then puree with an immersion blender. I then mix up a mix of heavy cream ( 1/2 cup) , coconut milk 1/4 cup, few T of peanut butter, splash of sesame oil and some Thai spice. Blend into soup and thicken.

magicdave

If you fry sweet potatoes they must be eaten fairly quickly or they may get soggy. Making hash browns works very well as long as you are patient and don't stir them too much. If you parboil them before cooking them they will be very soft when you finish. I make "french fires" using Organic Palm Oil Shortening because it is one of the two extremely healthy fats that you can put in your body. I slice my sweet potatoes directly into a bowl of ice water to prevent oxidation of the potato flesh. I then drain them and dry them and immediately put them in the hot oil (375F). When they begin to float I watch for a good color change that will indicate that they are beginning to caramelize. Remove them, drain them and serve them while they are still very hot. Just some pink salt and freshly cracked pepper and yummmmmmmmmmmm :-)

magicdave

For any and all of you that used to enjoy one of those Thanksgiving staples (Sweet Potato Casserole) with all of that brown sugar and marshmallows, I am working on a recipe for making Sugar Free Flavored Syrups that will be sweetened with Organic Stevia Powder instead of Splenda. I know that most of the mainstream medical community has stated that of the artificial sweeteners Splenda is the safest but I have a Liver that has extensive damage from having "insulin resistance" for over 10 years before I was diagnosed with Type II. I can tell the difference between Stevia and Splenda by how much discomfort I feel in my Liver. No discomfort from Stevia some discomfort from Splenda. They can tell me it is safe for the next 10 years and I will still not use it. I started this experiment with syrups because while Da Vinci and Walden Farms make very good Splenda sweetened syrups. I want my syrup to be sweetened with Stevia. If I am successful I will post the recipe here. I will also market the products but you guys can make your own. Peace.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.