Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

angelsbridges

A little guidance?

angelsbridges

I was dx'd as prediabetic a few weeks ago. My fasting bs wasn't that high, but high enough. I am slender and in good health (for the most part, I seem to get a lot of chronic infections like sinusitis), and I eat decently and exercise 30 minutes at least 5 days a week.

I saw the dietitian today, and after discussing it, she's just as confused as I am. I am presenting with symptoms of Type I and Type II (thirsty, frequent urination, fatigue). I have episodes of hyperglycemia and hypoglycemia. She wants me to do an Oral Glucose Test to see how I react. She mentioned that I don't fit the bill for Type II diabetes, other than my grandparents on both sides of my family have Type II (or so they've been diagnosed). She did mention Type 1.5 makes more sense...but now I'm concerned about what I need to be doing to get this figured out. What did you do when you found out it was a possibility?

Thanks for the help in advance.

mortis505

Hello and welcome to DF! First off get a referral to an Endocrinologist. These Drs specialize in diabetes care. If that is not an option AND you have good insurance, request a C-peptide test and a Islet Cell Antibody test, or a GAD65 Auto-Antibody test.

Many Drs assume that when an adult presents with symptoms that it's T2 because T1 has been labeled as "Juvenile". This is incorrect as the autoimmune response can be triggered at any age.

RobinP

I got copies of my blood work at my last dr visit. I noticed there's a c peptide test on there. What is this test?

lorilei

Robin ...in brief...cpeptide is a biproduct of insulin production...the lower the number the less you are producing insulin...the higher the number the greater the insulin production....type 2's produce more insulin to combat reisistance...if your cpeptide is less than 1.0 you are likely to be a 1/1.5...ill let the smart pple add and correct...

lorilei

robin..do u have an endo? your cpeptide is on the lower end...i canlt tell you if you are resistant or not, but it sure sounds like you are heading towards type1...please get an endo if you do not have one..treatment for 1 can often be different from treatment for 2 esp in the beginning( I am not saying that type 2's should not start on insulin though).......also read abit on 1.5 here....or maybe even mody...not trying to scare you just want to help you with the educational pieces some gp's are just not looking for....

mortis505

Normal values for a C-peptide test are usually between 0.5 and 2.0 ng/mL (nanograms per milliliter). However, normal values may vary from laboratory to laboratory.

1.0 is low end of normal and MAYindicate impaired insulin production. Seek advice from an Endo for options.

Ategeler

I think the important thing is to get your antibodies/C-peptide test done to differentiate b/w Type 2 and Type 1/Type 1.5. Type 1.5 is diagnosed in people that are generally older than 25 years of age and that typically don't have a history of Type 2 in the family. My endo said that there are studies showing insulin therapy can act as a preventative measure against further destruction of beta cells in the pancreas if it turns out you have more of a Type1.5 situation.

angelsbridges

So since this switched over to be about the C-Peptide, how do they do the test? Is it just a blood test or something different?

thanks.

lorilei
Normal values for a C-peptide test are usually between 0.5 and 2.0 ng/mL (nanograms per milliliter). However, normal values may vary from laboratory to laboratory.

1.0 is low end of normal and MAYindicate impaired insulin production. Seek advice from an Endo for options.

can any one answer this question...on my original lab values the reference range is different it is 1.1-4.4 ...for c peptide...why is that? is there a different measurement base or is that to allow contamination by lab? this has been puzzling me all night???

lorilei

ohh...never mind I called my doc...she said the values depend on fasting or not...here is an example of what some labs consider normal based on fasting, eating etc...

Children (< 15 years old) 8:00 a.m. fasting: 0.4 to 2.2 ng/ml

Adults 8:00 a.m. fasting: 0.4 to 2.1 ng/ml

Two hours postprandial (after a meal): 1.2 to 3.4 ng/ml

Two hours post glucose load: 2.0 to 4.5 ng/ml

this is taken from Interpreting Your C-peptide Values - Diabetes Health

can i tell you how batty i was going..guess that piece of denial still lurks in the nooks and crannies...drats..

Ategeler

Is it even really worth it for me to get C-Peptide test done if I have already tested postive for the GAD? I have a feeling my Endo would end up saying not to do it since the treatment plan would end up being the same anyway...

lorilei

yes! that way they have a baseline for future references..plus it could mean the difference between "totally insulin dependent" and not in a sense...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.