Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LarryR

Where We Are

LarryR

I've just come to realize what a varied group we are geographically. I realized it when I saw a recent post complaining about the extremely hot weather for December. Living in Chicago this made me realize that the post was from someone living in the southern hemisphere. I find this fascinating! Is there a form we could create where people could give their user name and location in this small world of ours? Obviously this would be strictly voluntary and I don't think it would violate anyone's privacy. I would just find it very interesting. If enough people agree, can someone tell me how I could create such a list? I'm willing to do the work if someone can just point me to a resource that would tell me how to go about it. I really love our diversity.

LarryR

Chicago, IL USA

mike-munich

Larry, great idea ! I'm on a couple of other (car related) forums that have "user maps". I think Google offers something like that, and it can be implemented into a forum.

Best from Munich to the Windy City ! :D

Mike

davef

We did something like this last year, we set up a google map, where people who indicate places they have visited. I reckon it would be easy set up a google map for people to show where they are.

Barberian

Kinda like this?

Google Map of DF members for 2009.

You can put a pushpin (upper left corner of google map) on your home, or just in the city for more privacy. I just put a pin in the city. Anyone here can edit map. I've made it unlisted so only peeps who have the url (above) can find it.

MJM

Sounds good. Larry I was in Chicago a couple of years ago and loved it there, and Mike, I visited Munich last year and loved it there also.

mike-munich

The Google map sounds great, it's what the others forums I know have. I'll try and put my pin in. :cool:

and Mike, I visited Munich last year and loved it there also.

Next time you are here let me know. I might be in beautiful Ireland next year again (been there twice):cool:

Hoyt54
Kinda like this?

Google Map of DF members for 2009.

You can put a pushpin (upper left corner of google map) on your home, or just in the city for more privacy. I just put a pin in the city. Anyone here can edit map. I've made it unlisted so only peeps who have the url (above) can find it.

Sorry Barberian, but I don't see the push pin, I can't show where I live. What am I doing wrong?:(

Barberian

I don't know. I went back to the link and I can't modify the map. I've tried several things, gotten it to show the push pins then when I refreshed the page... It won't work again. Logged out of Google, logged in, mix match, can't seem to make it stable. Maybe someone smarter than me can get one going.

mortis505

On the left side, click on "Edit". Then you should be able to add your placemark.

BigcityRich

What a great idea. It will be facinating to see the map filled with pins! I cannot wait. Everyone needs to sign in and play. It only takes a minute to create an account and sign in.

alicat61

:) Hi,

I have added mine, 1st from down under to do so hope the rest follow:D my lead

What a great idea

Patient254

Man, I think I may have messed up the map trying to get my pin on there. I hope not. Can someone confirm this?

mortis505
I kind of added mine, but am listed as "marker 20". :o

I fixed it for you Penny.

Patient254

I don't know why I can't seem to figure out how to put a darn pin on the map. If someone could do Pittsburgh for me I'd appreciate it.

mortis505

If anyone else would like me to add a placemark for them, just PM me. If you can give me a street address it would be great, otherwise just the city, state, country.

Penny
I fixed it for you Penny.

Thank you very much. :) I did this on my own map all the way until it said "show street" and there was my house. I found the homes of most of my family, some that I have not seen because they are in other states....kind of cool! :D

Jan B

I love this . . . I really do. Some of you are so far, far away (but you seem so close)!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.