Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LarryR

Where We Are

Evermont

Unfortunately - it's real easy to drag a pin out of place when 'scrolling' around by dragging the whole map. No 'undo' feature for that either. I goofed up Dave's pin - and tried to fix it. :(

If you haven't tried it yet - check out the map/satellite buttons The maps are better for figuring out where you are - but the satellite pics are much cooler to look at. :cool:

Coppernob

It took me a while but I finally figured it out, so have just placed my pin. :)

I spent about an hour last night trying to do it on Mozilla but it wouldn't give me access even though I had created a google account - it kept going on about cookies and I kept trying to do what it asked to fix the problem but with no luck. I finally thought of using Explorer and voila, I was able to get to the map and stick my pin on. I nearly didn't save the changes but it warned me so all was OK.

This computer stuff can be rather tricky at times - the low blood sugar (50) didn't help me either! :( At least I finally met with success. :)

alicat61
:confused: Alright, who kicked me off the map??? I had to add myself back on:T

:)Hi,

I don't think it was me but it could have been at one stage I had new pins coming up every where. So sorry if it was me.

Now I'm going to embarrass myself terribly but I thought I had accidently moved someone called Placemark 13 and was trying to find them on members list to pm and apologize.:o

It then dawned on me that it was the pin.What a dill am I.(I'll blame it on my head cold):D

I love google maps love to check out my friends houses etc

Subby

Just been playing around with streetview. Quite amazing. In the context of the member's pins, it's like taking a stroll in your 'hood.

It might be more interesting to first be in satellite imagery mode. get down nice and close to where you want to be. What you do is drag the little "man" icon. The streets with streetview light up in blue. A dotted circle appears below him: drop this onto one of the defined street lines.

Once in streetview, you can pan around with the controls in upper left corner, and click on the arrows down the street to "travel". Really like one of those ancient computer adventure games, if anyone know what I am talking about :)

Some places have it a lot, some have it some, some sadly not at all. I was looking forward to a stroll through Dubai or checking out near Dave's, but no luck. I have enjoyed wandering around Jan and Penny's neighbourhood a bit, though, so far. I may well have questions for people as if I'd come around for a wander ;)

Penny

Subby, the street views are at least 1 and 1/2 years old, at least in my neighborhood. Mine shows our old car in the driveway(and even our trashcan :o ), and before we got a new door, which was going on 2 years ago. It also has our address wrong. But I have been enjoying seeing the differences in the way we all live, too.

Subby

Thanks Penny, I think your pin is actually in the middle of a lake (is that near your place?), I didn't think you were water dwelling (but could be wrong?) so I wasn't getting too specific with addresses, just the general area :) You know... the ambiance...

In fact I think this is a good reason to put the pin in the vicinity of, but not right on top of, your address or even street, if you are like me and want to give people an idea of the area where you live (not that mine is very exciting), but don't want cyber terrorists tracking you down and stealing your budgie.

Penny
Thanks Penny, I think your pin is actually in the middle of a lake (is that near your place?), I didn't think you were water dwelling (but could be wrong?) so I wasn't getting too specific with addresses, just the general area :) You know... the ambiance...

In fact I think this is a good reason to put the pin in the vicinity of, but not right on top of, your address or even street, if you are like me and want to give people an idea of the area where you live (not that mine is very exciting), but don't want cyber terrorists tracking you down and stealing your budgie.

My "budgie" (parakeet for us Yankees) Petey, is evil, anyone trying to steal him would soon be sorry. I will look, but the only water close to us is a creek and a couple of ponds.

Keezheekoni

The street view of my house was taken last summer while the little kids and I were in CA. You can actually see a mosaic in the view of my porch, that's Troy on the phone with work. :T Also, somewhere on the front lawn is our mini schnauzer, but for some reason they mosaic-ed her out too...

My pin is there, but it's tucked behind Mortis505's. You have to zoom in close to WA to see my pin...but the pin is directly on top of my house. :)

Keezheekoni
My "budgie" (parakeet for us Yankees) Petey, is evil, anyone trying to steal him would soon be sorry. I will look, but the only water close to us is a creek and a couple of ponds.

Hey Penny, I just checked on your pin. It's actually 3.3 miles from your actual address. Do you want me to move the pin to above your house, or do you not want people actually "seeing" your house?

Jan B
I have enjoyed wandering around Jan and Penny's neighbourhood a bit, though, so far. I may well have questions for people as if I'd come around for a wander ;)

I fixed mine to be 100% accurate -- I'm a lady in a skirt (my pin) out in the pool!

Come visit!

Penny -- it's still funny that you live in a lake!

Subby

Jan, what a lovely sunny picture you got! (suites the street name) Mine and a few others, the weather is so drab and miserable. I can't see a pool. Do you have a red ute out the front? Or is that you on the other side of the road, looking like a statue on the lawn? Intriguing!

Jan B
Jan, what a lovely sunny picture you got! (suites the street name) Mine and a few others, the weather is so drab and miserable. I can't see a pool. Do you have a red ute out the front? Or is that you on the other side of the road, looking like a statue on the lawn? Intriguing!

Gee, when I look, I am in the pool. Did you zoom all the way in (satellite view)? I don't know what a red ute would be! When I zoom in to your place, I notice you really live inside a race track!

Subby

Aha, the red ute (utility van, pick up truck?) might be your neighbours.... Jan what I was looking at was "street view" pull that little icon of a man on the map, over your street and you'll see what I mean ;) The streetview can be very out of date as Penny was saying. Around my place at least a year old.

As for my place, I think my pin is on the athletics field down the road. :)

Penny
Hey Penny, I just checked on your pin. It's actually 3.3 miles from your actual address. Do you want me to move the pin to above your house, or do you not want people actually "seeing" your house?

You can move it. Just so no one tries to take my evil Budgie. :D

Jan B
Aha, the red ute (utility van, pick up truck?) might be your neighbours.... Jan what I was looking at was "street view" pull that little icon of a man on the map, over your street and you'll see what I mean ;) The streetview can be very out of date as Penny was saying. Around my place at least a year old.

As for my place, I think my pin is on the athletics field down the road. :)

Thank you Subby, WOW!!! Too cool! That's our "ute" in the driveway and our garage door is open -- my neighbor directly across the street is right out in front of his house! And my address number is NOT what it says . . . in case anybody wanted to send me some money or something . . .

Subby

Such a sunny tidy place... Looks like people had been doing burnouts down your street from the look of it? You need speedbumps perhaps... pesky as they are.

alura

Thanks to mortis505 for planting my pin for me. My immediate neighborhood doesn't show up yet, so I am shown somewhere in the middle of town.

AVFD-FF

My pin is now on, this is cool!

Hey Penny I have been in your area before, nice place. I date a girl for several years the lived on North Aragon Ave.

This is neat feature to see where everyone is.

Penny
My pin is now on, this is cool!

Hey Penny I have been in your area before, nice place. I date a girl for several years the lived on North Aragon Ave.

This is neat feature to see where everyone is.

Hi Moe. :) It is a nice area, with mostly very nice people. I would like to move, but just because my property is a little too much for us to take care of now. Doesn't look like that will happen because several houses close to me are being foreclosed and selling for much less than they are worth. :mad: So we are kind of stuck for awhile.

zoelula

What a cool idea! Looks like I am the first person in Latin America! Anyone else down here? I didn't do the street view, just approximated Guatemala, but I want to go back and see if I can do that.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.