Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Miss_X2

Alpha Lipoic Acid and Ketones

Miss_X2

My doctor has told me I'm pre-diabetic and while she's not prescribed anything for me, at this point she's just trying to encourage me to lose some weight.

I have the Bayer A1C meter and it gave me a reading just yesterday of 6.5, it was 6.8 two weeks ago.

About four weeks ago I started taking Alpha Lipoic Acid. With a bioavailability of approximately 30%, I'm taking enough of it where I attain approximately 600 mg oral dose.

My blood sugars are coming down as evident by the shift in the A1C results however, I've also noticed that I now have ketones in my urine, though no glucose.

What's happening with my body? Has the ALA forced my body into burning fat? Where are the ketones suddenly coming from? My A1C has improved and blood sugar readings have improved as well and yet ketones are suddenly appearing in my urine. Any ideas or questions?

genie86333

Miss X2,

Frank's post was a precaution...lots of times when one of a new member's first posts mentions a product/supplement, it ends up being an ad. Especially when you don't give a lot of other info.

That being said, you mentioned you got a blood sugar reading of 6.5 & a week ago it was 6.8. Are those the only tests you've done? It's beneficial to test a lot more frequently than that & we really can't even start to give an opinion on what's going on with your body without more information than 2 tests. You also mention that you've seen a lowering in your A1C although you haven't given any idea of what the readings are. The more info you give us the more likely we are to be able to answer your questions.

What have you done to change your diet to lose weight? Also, more blood sugar readings are helpful - recommended times are when you wake up in the morning & before each meal, as well as 2 hours after the first bite of each meal (2 hours after is the most important because then you'll know if a particular food is causing your blood sugar to spike.)

If you're truly not trying to sell us something, welcome to the board!

Miss_X2
Miss X2,

Frank's post was a precaution...lots of times when one of a new member's first posts mentions a product/supplement, it ends up being an ad. Especially when you don't give a lot of other info.

That being said, you mentioned you got a blood sugar reading of 6.5 & a week ago it was 6.8. Are those the only tests you've done? It's beneficial to test a lot more frequently than that & we really can't even start to give an opinion on what's going on with your body without more information than 2 tests. You also mention that you've seen a lowering in your A1C although you haven't given any idea of what the readings are. The more info you give us the more likely we are to be able to answer your questions.

What have you done to change your diet to lose weight? Also, more blood sugar readings are helpful - recommended times are when you wake up in the morning & before each meal, as well as 2 hours after the first bite of each meal (2 hours after is the most important because then you'll know if a particular food is causing your blood sugar to spike.)

If you're truly not trying to sell us something, welcome to the board!

Oh gosh no, I'm not selling anything :eek:

The A1C was 6.8 and two weeks later is was 6.5, so it went down by .3 since taking the ALA.

I'm so happy you finally cleared up one question in my mind. I've always read that you should test your blood sugars "two hours after your meal" but I never knew when to start the timer. I would start it after I finished eating so I was approximately 15-30 minutes behind.

Have there been studies done on individuals with poor or slow gastric emptying and its effect on blood sugars? Does anyone know about this?

I track my daily levels with a Bayer Contour and I use Winglucofacts software to analyze it. It looks like this:

Glucose Ranges, mg/dL

Very High (301 - 601) 0%

High (151 - 300) 21%

Target (70 - 150) 79%

Low (51 - 69) 1%

Very Low (0 - 50) 0 0%

Has anyone tried the Dr. Atkins diet for diabetics?

genie86333
Oh gosh no, I'm not selling anything :eek:

The A1C was 6.8 and two weeks later is was 6.5, so it went down by .3 since taking the ALA.

I'm so happy you finally cleared up one question in my mind. I've always read that you should test your blood sugars "two hours after your meal" but I never knew when to start the timer. I would start it after I finished eating so I was approximately 15-30 minutes behind.

Have there been studies done on individuals with poor or slow gastric emptying and its effect on blood sugars? Does anyone know about this?

I track my daily levels with a Bayer Contour and I use Winglucofacts software to analyze it. It looks like this:

Glucose Ranges, mg/dL

Very High (301 - 601) 0%

High (151 - 300) 21%

Target (70 - 150) 79%

Low (51 - 69) 1%

Very Low (0 - 50) 0 0%

Has anyone tried the Dr. Atkins diet for diabetics?

Ah, ok, those were your A1C readings, not BG readings then - hence my confusion. :)

Lots of people have the same question about *when* to test...I know I did too.

I don't know the answer about slow gastric emptying, but I know others around here do, so they'll jump in soon.

Good BG readings, especially for someone just starting out - 79% in target range. Are most of those fasting or after eating?

I haven't tried the Atkins diet (although I do have a copy of the book that was given to me & I should at least take a look at it) but I do low-carb. I've gone as low-carb as 30g a day, although I personally was unable to sustain at that level for more than 6 months (although I should go back to that as my #s were better than...just got to break the carb addiction again.) There are lots of people who low-carb around here (although their ideas of low vary) and do quite well with it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.