Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Susan_Root

teen girl gaining weight

Susan_Root

My 15 year old daughter has had type I diabetes since the age of 3. She was always a slim muscular girl. Puberty started about 2-3 years ago for her and with that, her insulin requirements have doubled, to say the least. She has put on so much weight over the last 2-3 years where she's now 150 pounds despite being pretty active and trying to eat well as a teen. I have seen and heard about girls in particular putting on weight from the increase of insulin during the puberty years. Anyone else experience this with their teenage girl? Does exogenous insulin play a role in this?

genie86333

I know you say she's "trying to eat well as a teen" - but what exactly does that mean? Does she eat low-fat or low-carb or what?

It may be that she's eating too many carbs - yes, her insulin needs have increased, but by cutting down on the carbs (if that's the problem) her insulin needs can be lowered which can help with not gaining weight. Now, as for what's needed by her, that's up to the two of you to figure out - some people here advocate 30g or less a day...others say 100g or 150g is a good amount for them. You need to find the correct balance for her.

There are probably others around here more experienced than I am who may have a better answer or know different info...but thought I'd chime in since no one else had.

Oh, also...Welcome to the forum!

lorilei

i have no personal expereince, but i have heard of wt gain with exogenous insulin and better bg control...also, female metabolisms do change esp in teen yrs...hope you can discuss this with her doctor without impacting your daughter in way that she becomes obsessive...are her numbers good?

SuzySushi

Yes, I'm experiencing this with my 12 year old daughter. I don't have an answer, but hormones wreak havoc with insulin requirements for teenage girls. Our CDE says it's not unusual for girls' insulin dosages to double when they're teenagers (they drop back down when they're out of puberty).

Unfortunately, my daughter is on another (not for diabetes) medication that causes carb cravings, so that doesn't help the weight gain.

Let me know if you find any answers!

jmrasmus

Yes i know exactly what you are talking about. OK i'm not a parent but i was diagnosed when i was 11 right before puberty, and to say the least i was almost underweight skinny. Then puberty hit insulin did increase some for me, and my general diet was never amazing or incredibly healthy, but i gained a lot of weight. i still have trouble taking it off sometimes now. But the thing i have noticed was that i gain weight very easily and i lose it quickly and i have been told by other diabetics (especially t1) that it is true for them.

I mean insulin is a protein hormone and that in itself makes you gain weight. the more you take the more weight you will put on. so doing whatever you can to lower the daily dosage should help. It's one of the things that works for me. Although this doesn't mean you should not inject enough to cover whatever you are eating... so it also comes with eating habit changes (which are so hard being a teenager and a girl and just some foods are really hard to cut back on) and self control and teenagers are not generally synonymous

Exercise obviously helps but it can be hard to be motivated unless it's fun. I'm not a treadmill type, but i've discovered kickboxing at a local mma gym. It is very cool and it's a women only class... it really helped a lot and was much more motivating

I'm not sure if that helps or if i said anything you didn't already know; that's just what has worked for me and i definitely went through something very similar ... so i hope i gave you maybe a few ideas or insight

Good luck to you and your daughter

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.