Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Barbadosgal

Not pregnant but question to ladies on menstration and BG

Barbadosgal

Hello ladies. I am not pregnant but figured this would be the most appropriate forum to ask my question assuming that mainly women visit will be visiting this forum.

Does menstration affect your BG readings? Does it make your BG go higher while you are menstrating? I am newly diagnosed and was wondering if I should expect any "usual" pattern of my BD's going up during my period. Thanks for your feedback.

GeishaGirl

My BGs actually go DOWN during that time of the month, but I've been told that's pretty unusual. Then again, if it's medically unusual, that'll be me :)

AngelKitty
Hello ladies. I am not pregnant but figured this would be the most appropriate forum to ask my question assuming that mainly women visit will be visiting this forum.

Does menstration affect your BG readings? Does it make your BG go higher while you are menstrating? I am newly diagnosed and was wondering if I should expect any "usual" pattern of my BD's going up during my period. Thanks for your feedback.

Hi there,

I have found that my BGLs idle a little higher a few days before and during said cycle - I have discussed these slighly higher BGLs with my Diabetes Educator and she said this is pretty normal (for diabetics).

I call this time of the month "Clash of the Hormones"! :T

foxl

I run about the same but right before, I have this hunger like a wolverine -- I could gnaw the leg off the person next to me.

Also -- I recently posted a query about running a short cycle right after dx ... it did seem ot change mine.

princesslinda

I notice I will consistently run 8-10 points higher the week before my cycle, but this resolves when I actually start menstruating. I also get PMS symptoms of anxiety/stress, which may be a contributing factor.

Barbadosgal
I run about the same but right before, I have this hunger like a wolverine -- I could gnaw the leg off the person next to me.

Also -- I recently posted a query about running a short cycle right after dx ... it did seem ot change mine.

Hi Linda, when you said 'running a short cycle right after dx" what exactly do you mean? I notice that I got my period right after dx 21 days after my last period and for years my cycles have always been 27-30 days. Is that what you meant by a short cycle?

mell1682
Hi there,

I have found that my BGLs idle a little higher a few days before and during said cycle - I have discussed these slighly higher BGLs with my Diabetes Educator and she said this is pretty normal (for diabetics).

I call this time of the month "Clash of the Hormones"! :T

I feel so lame admitting this but it took me a long time to learn this one as I've just recently started REALLY and truly started caring over the last year or so. My bloods go super high and I have insulin resistance of the worst kind before and during "that time" and then afterwards, it's hypos galore. Oh the joys! :D

foxl
Hi Linda, when you said 'running a short cycle right after dx" what exactly do you mean? I notice that I got my period right after dx 21 days after my last period and for years my cycles have always been 27-30 days. Is that what you meant by a short cycle?

YES! Exactly -- about the same timing too! And here I was hoping menopause was beginning ... :D

Caravaggio

My BG go up a couple of days before and the 1st 2 days during my period. For more info and members' experiences, search the DF forums for past queries on this topic.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.