Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sasha

confused!

sasha

Hello

sat here wondering what i should do so thought id just put it out there and see what people think! everyone seems very understanding and honest and good to talk to people who are diabetic and have a clue what your going through.

Im 34 and have been diabetic for 14years on a pump for last 5 years. Ive never really thought about kids untill my mum pointed out that ive prob not got much time left (still think im 25!) sugars generally run ok and h1b usually 6.7 have i left it to late? Im quite happy with my life how it is to be honest but dont want to leave it and then regret it. my other concern is cost as no insurance....moved from the uk to us so getting use to how different it works over here.

fgummett

I don't think that 34 is too late for anything.

Having a child is a wonderful thing -- I'm a Dad :D -- but also a huge lifetime commitment if you are not 100% sure.

Not much advice to offer but I do wish you well whatever you decide. :)

foxl

Actually infertility does become a problem, statistically, after 35.

I have no answers for you -- I experienced primary infertility at 32 and adopted 3 kids in my 40's. Which, I must say, has been a GREAT experience!

sasha

thanks for your replies I think Ive got some serious thinking to do.....didnt think about adoption but def something to consider! dont want to jump into anything untill 100% sure and not because my mum tells me im getting on!

mell1682

I don't think it's too late! Diabetics can and do have healthy babies all the time (I have been diabetic since age 5 and I have 2 healthy little girls) and we actually have healthier pregnancies because we are so closely monitored. I wish you the best of luck in whatever choice you make!

AngelKitty

Sounds like your mum might be a bit "clucky to be a grandma" :)

I'm a mother of two toddler boys and about your age and I would not consider myself too old to add to my family.

Having children is a life changing decision - a permanent one - so make sure to take everything into consideration first (partner / support network / work / income, etc).

The most important thing here is you - do whatever makes you happy and feel fulfilled.

sarah91

I'm 34 and am now 8 weeks pregnant.

I would consider trying for children up until the age of 38 I think. You're as young as you feel though i think you have a better chance of conception whether it be naturally or by fertility treatment under the age of 35.

Go on try it, you might like it!

Sarmar7

I was 33 when I had my little one. Nearly 35 now and not ruling out another one. My cons said anything below 40 is considered Ok now (although fertility does decline) even with Type 1. Good luck.:)

foxl
I was 33 when I had my little one. Nearly 35 now and not ruling out another one. My cons said anything below 40 is considered Ok now (although fertility does decline) even with Type 1. Good luck.:)

The decline at 35 only "counts" if you have not yet had one child. actually. If you have already had a child, you are much more apt to be able to have another.

LiveNormal

Woman, you are still young. I am 38 and am today 10w2d, my first ever BFP I have ever seen in my life and we got it naturally:D . Have been trying real hard for a baby and went through several rounds of ivf but without success at about your age.

What I would say is don't give up, keep your faith and always think positively.

Keezheekoni

I'm 36 and 27 weeks (today) with #6.

Infertility can be a problem, I haven't had a child in 5 years and was starting to think my DH had gotten a vasectomy behind my back! :T Obviously not, but it was a worry...

It was when I stopped charting and he just "guessed" the right time when we got pregnant this time. It's all his fault. :T

Adoption is also a great option, but extremely expensive... so definitely have all of your ducks in a row. Make sure that you have medical insurance, and enough money to raise a child. That's something a lot of people don't think about...

sasha

So I thought I would update this post, as you can see I was not sure at the start of the year about getting pregnant but a couple of weeks ago we decided we would like to try for a baby. I thought that was the hard decision! Ive spoke the doc It was all so negative I understand it wont be easy but I came out feeling like I was being irresponsible by even thinking about it....did i realise the complications , the amount of work it will take but worse that I could die or get really sick after the birth from the strain of pregnancy. I never have been one to sugar coat things but there are ways of speaking to us ! Im 35 next month been diabetic for about 14 years and im on a pump . I dont smoke, never had an a1c over 7 excercise 6 days a week and a very healthy weight my one vice is bottle of wine over the weekend ! Im very happy with my husband , and he supports what I want to do but was very upset about the comments of what it can do and now unsure if he wants me to risk my long term health. how did you make the decision to carry on ?

ramon
Hello

sat here wondering what i should do so thought id just put it out there and see what people think! everyone seems very understanding and honest and good to talk to people who are diabetic and have a clue what your going through.

Im 34 and have been diabetic for 14years on a pump for last 5 years. Ive never really thought about kids until my mum pointed out that ive prob not got much time left (still think im 25!) sugars generally run ok and h1b usually 6.7 have i left it to late? Im quite happy with my life how it is to be honest but dont want to leave it and then regret it. my other concern is cost as no insurance....moved from the uk to us so getting use to how different it works over here.

Life without a child will leave you with a large void in life, kind of growing up without a dad. You know something is missing in life but you just cant put your finger on it. My boy is in his 30's and just presented me a fine Grandson on the 13 OCTOBER.

It changes the whole atmosphere of the house and love comes pouring out from everybody. My daughter is 35 and pregnant and we cant wait. You will experience a kind of love that astounds all. Let us know the good news when it comes.

belyro

I guess your doc has to tell you the risks, but his method of doing so sounds a little over-the-top.

I'm 31, diabetic for 28 years (almost), pumping for a few, and I just had a baby in May. I did experience some health complications (pre-eclampsia and some advancement of my retinopathy, including a retinal hemorrhage in one eye), but they were temporary issues and I don't regret any of it for one minute! You just have to be sure to keep in touch with your various doctors OFTEN to keep any potential issues from getting out of hand.

After my experience I asked my obstetrician whether he thought it would be okay to try again for another baby, and he said "1000% yes" as long as my ophthalmologist gives me the go-ahead. That said, he did say he wants me not to wait anymore than 2 years. I guess he wants me to be done by the time I'm 35 when I would enter the "high-risk" category for yet another reason (in addition to diabetes) - in Canada you're considered "high-risk" if you're over the age of 35. That's just his advice to ME, though....not necessarily to everyone. My endo agrees that having another baby is completely fine as long as my ophthalmologist is on-side with it.

It IS more difficult and there ARE more risks than a non-diabetic pregnancy, but the risks are manageable (with frequent doctors' visits) and totally worth it in my opinion. Unless you have some other health condition that you haven't shared that your doctor is also taking into consideration, I'd say that he's blowing it out of proportion - and perhaps isn't the best doctor to continue seeing during the pregnancy. You need someone who will stay on top of your situation, but also who will be encouraging.

If you're interested, check out my pregnancy blog from earlier this year. (Address in my signature.)

Good luck!

sasha

Bethany thanks for your reply and i will def check out your blog, I have no other health issues , just the fact im 35 soon now as well......I have actually spoke to another doc who has said basically what you said yes its hard and its going to be tough but she pointed out some more positive points like that I didnt start with type 1 till my 20s and Ive had good controll from the start... going to check out your blog now and congrats !

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.