Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

megan

Synthroid side effects?

megan

I am hoping others that are taking synthroid will share their experience.

I was diagnosed hypothyroid 1-14-09.I started taking 25 mcg synthroid.8 weeks later I go to the endo with new labs and I had gained 11 pounds since 1-14.Well he upped my dose to 75 mcg cause my free t3,t4 are still way too low,and I never asked him if the weight gain could have been from the synthroid.I wish I would have,and out of the 9 weeks I have been taking this medicine I don't feel any better maybe a little worse.Just hoping others would share their experience with the synthroid.Also before I started taking my weight had been stable I was just tired and cold all the time somewhat depressed.

thanks.

megan

I forgot to mention that there were a few days or I should say alot of days I required more insulin since starting the medication,maybe that explains the weight gain.I still would appreciate others comments.

Jules49

I did not gain weight. Can't remember how many years I have taken it. I took 25mcg for several years. Two years ago mine was upped to 50 mcg. It might raise mine a little. I take it when I first get up. Depending on my fasting number will take a little humalog if it is near 100. I will take 1/2 unit of humalog. Have to wait an hour before I can eat after taking it.

Jan B

I take 200 mcg, and any less than that just doesn't work! I've used this amount for probably 10 years or longer. A few times, my doc would decrease the amount, and I would slide downhill.

The only side effects I get are from NOT takiing it. Since your system is sluggish if it needs the synthroid, you'll still feel kind of sluggish until you have enough.

The correct amount might cause you to lose a little weight -- not to gain any.

Oh, and it takes up to a month on the correct amount, before you will feel GOOD again.

megan

Thanks for the replys.It looks like I need to give it time to get sorted.I had no idea the fatigue that one gets with hypothyroid untill it happened to me.I am thankful to get diagnosed and to get the treatment started.

foxl

I DID gain some weight on synthroid! when I first started it was quite noticeable.

And I have read it can increase insulun needs, as well. However I have been HypoT since long before I was D so did not perceive any insulin effects at the time.

Hope your dosage gets straightened out soon. Good luck!

nancyadams

Hi. Your post caught my eye. I took Synthroid for many years. I also had my doctor raise my dose like you are doing. There was some improvement. But no matter how high I raised it, I kept gaining a little weight, year after year. You know how that is--a growing stack of pants on the floor of my closet that I can't wear anymore. :( I also just didn't feel great ever! And I was always colder than everyone else.

But I then heard about the patient site called Stop the Thyroid Madness, and I got the book. I found out that the weight gain is because Synthroid and the other T4 medications do not fully take away your hypothyroid and that doctors are not realizing this. It blew me away!

I switched to Armour. Armour is natural, and contains the very hormones our thyroids make. Those are T4, T3, T2, T1 and calcitonin. Just that told me that this was going to be a better treatment than the Synthroid was.

Well, it IS better. I am not gaining weight anymore. My blood sugars are better. I got off my antidepressant just recently. My hair isn't so thin anymore (thank goodness). I don't wear my sweater around the house like I used to. I have been blown away. :congrats:

Anyway, I thought you might want to look at that site and see what you think: Stop the Thyroid Madness - The truth about thyroid and thyroid treatment. There is a place to order the book, which I preferred since I have to share the computer with my husband who likes to play internet poker all the time. ha

Nancy

I am hoping others that are taking synthroid will share their experience.

I was diagnosed hypothyroid 1-14-09.I started taking 25 mcg synthroid.8 weeks later I go to the endo with new labs and I had gained 11 pounds since 1-14.Well he upped my dose to 75 mcg cause my free t3,t4 are still way too low,and I never asked him if the weight gain could have been from the synthroid.I wish I would have,and out of the 9 weeks I have been taking this medicine I don't feel any better maybe a little worse.Just hoping others would share their experience with the synthroid.Also before I started taking my weight had been stable I was just tired and cold all the time somewhat depressed.

thanks.

duck

Megan, I'm normally skeptical about people with one post who joined that exact day to reply, so as much as I think nancyadams may have been wanting to give good advice, I'd say "buyer beware."

You just starting synthroid, give it some time. Weight gain is a bit uncommon but not unheard of when starting thyroid medications, and it does take a while to get your meds dialed in. Even worse, your needs will change so you may be fighting this battle a while.

The best advice I can give about Synthroid/Levothyroxine/Armour is take it on a very empty stomach, and take it at the same time everyday. Take it with pure water...not tea, not soda, CERTAINLY NOT with milk. If you take it with milk, you might as well take the pill and flush it down the toilet. My current endo gave me all this advice when I first started going to him, and my synthroid needs have been more consistent since.

But finally, thyroid issues are very complicated. I don't think medical science has gotten their head around thyroid diseases in any way, shape or form. Something me and nancyadams will agree upon is that too many doctors seem to think "here: take this pill" and that is all there is to it. Unfortunately, it is not, and it takes a while to get dialed in. But don't give up, there is hope and lots of info out there.

Doug
Megan, I'm normally skeptical about people with one post who joined that exact day to reply, so as much as I think nancyadams may have been wanting to give good advice, I'd say "buyer beware.".

+100

1 post to plug a book screams that its a spammer or troll

nancyadams
Megan, I'm normally skeptical about people with one post who joined that exact day to reply, so as much as I think nancyadams may have been wanting to give good advice, I'd say "buyer beware."

You just starting synthroid, give it some time. Weight gain is a bit uncommon but not unheard of when starting thyroid medications, and it does take a while to get your meds dialed in. Even worse, your needs will change so you may be fighting this battle a while.

The best advice I can give about Synthroid/Levothyroxine/Armour is take it on a very empty stomach, and take it at the same time everyday. Take it with pure water...not tea, not soda, CERTAINLY NOT with milk. If you take it with milk, you might as well take the pill and flush it down the toilet. My current endo gave me all this advice when I first started going to him, and my synthroid needs have been more consistent since.

But finally, thyroid issues are very complicated. I don't think medical science has gotten their head around thyroid diseases in any way, shape or form. Something me and nancyadams will agree upon is that too many doctors seem to think "here: take this pill" and that is all there is to it. Unfortunately, it is not, and it takes a while to get dialed in. But don't give up, there is hope and lots of info out there.

Well, lol, I gotta start somewhere with my first post!! And her post caught my eye on my "first day". lol

And for what it's worth, she can give Synthroid all the time she wants. But I found out by joining several patient groups that there sure is a lot of us who don't do well on it, and who end up with adrenal fatigue because of it, besides a lot of other problems. I had depression on it, and found out that a whole lot of others did, too. I also keep getting fluffy in the waist and thigh areas. Found out that was common too.

And you don't have to take Armour on an empty stomach. ;) I didn't know that at first, but learned that from the other groups. And the milk problem is good advice. Apparently, calcium can inhibit what's in the pill.

So, what I said in my "first post" still stands. :)

Nancy, the new person

nancyadams
1 post to plug a book screams that its a spammer or troll

Goodness.

This so-called "spammer or troll" is actually just a new member who had to do her first post somewhere, don't ya think?? ;) And yes, I decided to "plug" something that worked alot better for me, and probably would for her. So if mentioning in the last sentence that I liked the book comes across as spamming, I guess I'll just have to say that the website is tops.

Nancy :)

duck

Nancy, I think you and I probably agree about the "Synthroid is the End-All, Be-All" BS that is pushed on thyroid patients. However, there are a lot of scammers who roam forums and post for no other reason than to sell something, or push an agenda. My concern has less to do with "you" then it has to do with "them".

In any case, welcome to the forum. For what it's worth, I see my endo next month and I will ask him to put me back on Armour again if we can't get my Levothyroxine levels dialed-in...Long story about my Armour experiment, but suffice it to say my endo was very willing to work with me, but after six months of not being able to get my labs correct, he talked me back onto Synthroid.

Doug
Goodness.

This so-called "spammer or troll" is actually just a new member who had to do her first post somewhere, don't ya think?? ;) And yes, I decided to "plug" something that worked alot better for me, and probably would for her. So if mentioning in the last sentence that I liked the book comes across as spamming, I guess I'll just have to say that the website is tops.

Nancy :)

We both have opinions

Yours sounds like an infomercial for a product based on "your experience"

Mine is based on hosting/managing and moderating forums for about 10 years. 90+% of the time that kind of first post is made by spammers. Many forums would have simply deleted any similar first post that links to a product and perhaps banned the user.

If I was wrong I apologize. Time will tell either way.

Welcome to DF - Dont judge DF by me - Im a jerk.

Feel free to contribute in other areas.

foxl

Actually the efficacy of adding T3 at about 10% to T4 was published in the NEJM about ten years ago.

Whiel the site is inflammatory, and perhaps generated by a big pharma co. (Synthroid got sued yrs back for claiming superiority to generics) it does NOT have to be "natural" T3 or T4, to be more efficacious than straight T4.

If you are indoubt, ask your MD ... or another MD ... or another MD ... or another website! :D

Me, I seem to thrive on the generic synthetic T4, and am just as happy no cows died for my sins ... in this instance, anyhow.

nancyadams
Nancy, I think you and I probably agree about the "Synthroid is the End-All, Be-All" BS that is pushed on thyroid patients. However, there are a lot of scammers who roam forums and post for no other reason than to sell something, or push an agenda. My concern has less to do with "you" then it has to do with "them".

In any case, welcome to the forum. For what it's worth, I see my endo next month and I will ask him to put me back on Armour again if we can't get my Levothyroxine levels dialed-in...Long story about my Armour experiment, but suffice it to say my endo was very willing to work with me, but after six months of not being able to get my labs correct, he talked me back onto Synthroid.

Thanks for the welcome. I haven't had much time other than these posts to do much more. Have company that keeps my time bound. Unfortunately, one of the guests loves her sugar and since my BG levels are inching up, I have to resist all her goodies that she buys from Sams. ugh :(

There's a page on the Stop the Thyroid Madness site which helped me a lot. I think it's called "things we have learned". That could help you with getting back on Armour.

Nancy

megan

Thanks for all the replys.

My starting dose of 25 mcg actually made me worse according to my 8 week labs because my free t's ended up lower than prior to starting the meds.So now I am on 75 mcg and it can only get better.It already feels a little better.I have actually taken my daughters to the park 2 times in the last week and I have taken the dog on 3 walks in the past week.Which that is not much but at least I am not lying down every chance I get now.When I was diagnosed I seen the nurse practitioner that day and she started me on the 25 mcg,I wish I would have seen the endo he probably would have started me on a higher dose.Oh well I hear there is no quick fix.My endo did say we will get the TSH slightly below 1 and then I should be better and of course the free t's in the upper range.

foxl
Thanks for all the replys.

My starting dose of 25 mcg actually made me worse according to my 8 week labs because my free t's ended up lower than prior to starting the meds.So now I am on 75 mcg and it can only get better.It already feels a little better.I have actually taken my daughters to the park 2 times in the last week and I have taken the dog on 3 walks in the past week.Which that is not much but at least I am not lying down every chance I get now.When I was diagnosed I seen the nurse practitioner that day and she started me on the 25 mcg,I wish I would have seen the endo he probably would have started me on a higher dose.Oh well I hear there is no quick fix.My endo did say we will get the TSH slightly below 1 and then I should be better and of course the free t's in the upper range.

Sounds to me like your thyroid degenerated during the treatment. Hashimoto's is notorious for causing "storms," or fluctuations. so ... perhaps your NP really gave you quite the right dose, based on your lab results at the time.

RobinP

I was diagnosed with hypothyroid the same day as my diabetes. My TSH was 11.05. He then ordered a free T4. That came back as 1.1. He started me on Synthroid 50mcg. So far, I haven't noticed any changes. I'm still tired. He'll recheck me in April. Should I make sure he runs a free T3 test too? He's not an endo, just my regular doc, a DO.

nancyadams
I was diagnosed with hypothyroid the same day as my diabetes. My TSH was 11.05. He then ordered a free T4. That came back as 1.1. He started me on Synthroid 50mcg. So far, I haven't noticed any changes. I'm still tired. He'll recheck me in April. Should I make sure he runs a free T3 test too? He's not an endo, just my regular doc, a DO.

My TSH was all over the map because I have hashimotos. I'd twist his arm into testing your free T3. :cool: From the Stop the Thyroid Madness site, I sure learned how important it is. It also has a page that helps you interpret your lab results. I think it's called "lab values" or something like that. The bad thing about being on synthroid is that we can never really get the most important thyroid hormone (free T3) high enough to remove all our symptoms. And like doctors did with me, they will then cover up your continuing symptoms with antidepressants. I was on Wellbrutin. They almost put me on a statin. But when I switched to armour, my cholesterol fell to a nice 175. :D And I got off the antidepressant. :D Ok, getting off my soapbox now.

Nancy

duck
My TSH was all over the map because I have hashimotos. I'd twist his arm into testing your free T3. :cool: From the Stop the Thyroid Madness site, I sure learned how important it is. It also has a page that helps you interpret your lab results. I think it's called "lab values" or something like that. The bad thing about being on synthroid is that we can never really get the most important thyroid hormone (free T3) high enough to remove all our symptoms. And like doctors did with me, they will then cover up your continuing symptoms with antidepressants. I was on Wellbrutin. They almost put me on a statin. But when I switched to armour, my cholesterol fell to a nice 175. :D And I got off the antidepressant. :D Ok, getting off my soapbox now.

Nancy

Oh come one Nancy, you don't want to help keep Big Pharma profitable?!?

/sarcasm

nancyadams
Oh come one Nancy, you don't want to help keep Big Pharma profitable?!?

/sarcasm

Well, duck, if Big Pharma happens to have something that really works (which they do with Armour), then I'll be more than happy to let them have a profit from that! :D

I believe there's a saying about not throwing the baby out with the bath water....;)

RobinP

What exactly is Armour? A pill? I wonder how my dr will react when I ask him about it. lol

foxl

Yeah it is a pill made from slaughterhouse products -- cow thyroids -- somewhat purified. It was like the first treatment for thyroid replacement.

Long ago, seemingly in another life, I used to work in a lab where I prepped thyroids!

nancyadams
What exactly is Armour? A pill? I wonder how my dr will react when I ask him about it. lol

It's from pigs, not cows. :laugh: Yes, it's a pill. From what I've read in the Stop the Thyroid Madness book, it came out in the late 1800's and all thyroid patients were put on it and they all did well. I think I remember my own grandmother on it.

In the 1960's, I think, she says that all patients were switched to Synthroid and later all the other brands, and it lost favor. But by the turn of this century, thyroid patients were rediscovering it again, because they felt a lot better on it. I'm definitely one who did, though not until a year ago.

As far as your doctor, I had to go through four doctors before I found one who would let me use it. One said it wasn't made. Another said it was inconsistent. Two said Synthroid was better. They were all wrong!! Doctors aren't taught much about it. There's a page on the Stop the Thyroid Madness site that tells you how to find a doctor who will let you get on it. I really recommend the site.

Nancy

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.