Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

angelsbridges

LADA blood sugars

Jan B
It's an Anti-Nuclear Antibody screen...I think she was using it to check for Lupus, but I am unclear - it says it can show type I diabetes? I think?

Bridgette,

My ANA has been high for quite some time. And it gets higher as I age. Sometimes diabetics are a little higher, and if you have more than one autoimmune disease, you could be even higher. Also, different labs assign different meaning to the numbers (thanks a lot!). Several years ago I was 1:40 (normal), then 1:80, then 1:160, and the last one, I was 1:320. To make it even more irritating, I was never given a good answer for any of it (since my RA factor was negative; you can still have RA even being negative) -- I did my own research.

I have RA, OA and used to worry about Lupus too. I had a lot of muscular pain and spasms. I was driving myself nuts trying to figure it all out.

I swear I feel so much better now not even thinking about it!! I'll admit I'll be ticked if I'm 1:640 next time!

angelsbridges

I didn't get any numbers, it just said "NEG" next to my results.

I was dx with fibromyalgia in my late teens, but my bloodwork all seems fine. They tested for RA too, and that came back negative.

Even if you have an autoimmune, will it always show up in an ANA screen?

lorilei

6/07 Hba1c 8.2, + Gad65, -IA2, -IA, below norm cpeptide, and low norm insulin prod...obviously these all changed by Nov 2008...was this what u were looking for? I was not dx prediabetic, but was misdiagnosed (more than likely) gestational diabetes and on insulin for last preganancy which ended late march 2007...

as for the rest of the autoimmune stuff, i have absolutely no idea...sorry :)

angelsbridges

It's ok, I just wanted to see if the autoimmune stuff would correlate at all.

I'm going to hold out for the endo, but it will be helpful to take that list of tests to him :)

Jan B

Even if you have an autoimmune, will it always show up in an ANA screen?

No. I remember spending so many hours trying to understand all that stuff. I did learn one thing that was valuable to me. The connective tissue of diabetics can harden over time, which can cause a lot of pain (even some Lupus symptoms), and possibly give a higher than average ANA result. That actually answered a lot of my questions . . . and never once did a doctor mention this to me!

All that mess didn't start with me until I'd had T1 for about 25 years. In the time since I joined DF, most of that pain has subsided (I have good A1cs now too). I am a firm believer in the mind/body connection. Be happy, share w/friends, have fun . . . and the body does not hurt so much! That's just my opinion. ;)

angelsbridges
I am a firm believer in the mind/body connection

Me too, me too. It's actually amazing what you can do when they're in tune with one another. Doesn't always stop forms of pain, but it definitely helps!

Jan B
Me too, me too. It's actually amazing what you can do when they're in tune with one another. Doesn't always stop forms of pain, but it definitely helps!

Good point. If you are in the midst of pain, it's hard to "get happy and feel better". But, if you generally try to have some fun & be with friends on a regular basis (instead of being alone in pain), you can get yourself above it . . . and sometimes prevent more pain. I'm gonna believe it anyway!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.