Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tiffanyfaith86

How is this possible? Could i really be Type 1.5

Therese

I am not sure you are correct about the auto antibody thing. LADA can have antibodies to islet cells as well as the GAD antibody but typically they develop the GAD first. GADs also destroy the beta cells. GADs also diminish hence at the begining you can be positive but at later stages the antibody will have gone. I am not sure that this is so in everyone case. The islet cell antibodies however stay for life. LADA and Type 1 are one in the same in that they are both auto immune Diabetes. Type 2 is not. 70% of typical type 1s also have GAD. It really is the same disease however it just surfaces at different ages and LADA is slower in manifestation. People that have a fast onset of LADA maybe have had it for years without knowing it so only sought help when they were in the end stage and were actually getting sick.

I am a typical LADA. Initial problems in pregnancies atributed to Gestational and i was anti islet cell negative. Post the last pregnancy my sugar levels didnt go back to normal and was diagnosed with type 2 a year later. The Dr decided to test for GAD just as a precaution as i am not overweight, am in excellent health and have no family history of type 2. Bingo GAD positive. Now 18 months later my GADs are at a lower level but i am anti islet positive. The whole process has been 7 years long and i am still producing some insulin. Cpeptide is 0.18. I work in pathology as a scientist but had never heard of type 1.5 or LADA but there you go we cant know everything. I was just as shocked as everyone else to hear this can happen. I hate the feeling of the yoyo state we seem to be in constantly. I have decided to try low carb as then i can take less insulin thus hopefully stop the swings. I dont mind so much being high but the lows suck.

Just one more thing. Auto immune disorders can go hand in hand with each other so if you have an autoimmune thyroid disorder it would be worth getting tested for autoimmune diabetes. I noticed it in you blog. (have i got the right person)

lorilei

"The main difference with difference of treatment is with it is the remission/ depletion cycle. I found the remission/ depletion cycle in LADA much more difficult to manage than the diabetes type 1 itself."

agreed..sometimes i would pray for the pancreas to just stop and sometimes i would pray for it to work forever...

mazea

Ah the remission depletion cycle. I went from 10 1/2 units Levemir insulin 2 weeks ago to 3 units of Levemir today. I haven't had unbroken sleep for 2 weeks because of hypos. I have no idea how long the 3 units of Levemir will last before it goes up again.

Your post and the one responding to it seemed to imply this is a period that happens early and then stabilizes? Did you just naturally stabilize or was something changed in your regimen?

Hormones. Pregnancy. The contraceptive pill are all things that effect my blood sugars.

Also I am doing a therapy called psychodynamic therapy for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder(like the veterans form war) and it brings me into a depletion remission cycle too. The therapy gets you into a state where you feel the emotions at the time of a trauma, links them and a memory you had forgotton comes back. It's not like a full memory, it's like a partial memory of only the grief at the time as I already have the physical memory of what happened usually.At the moment it is pregnancy and the just getting a partial memory back about the grief I felt during my dad's violent rage when I was 9. My blood sugar levels always go up the 2nd week I get a partial memory back and then drop in the fifth week after I get a memory back. So at the moment pregnancy and the therapy. I won't be doing any more therapy until after the baby is born now as I want to keep my blood sugar levels, which are good from having hypos.

I find it interesting that the therapy effects my blood sugar levels the way it does.

mazea

When my blood sugar levels stabilise they stay the same for up to weeks at at time. I think my blood sugar levels have been stable for 5 weeks once.

agreed..sometimes i would pray for the pancreas to just stop and sometimes i would pray for it to work forever...

It's a bit like having a blessing and and a woe at the same time. I like it when my insulin needs are low as I can eat things I can't normally eat when my insulin needs are high.

tiffanyfaith86

i have still been unstable until this week, kept having to adjust my insulin, but now i think im finally able to use only 10u of Lantus and 2-3 for Humalog. a1c went down .2 since march :( wish it was down to 5.5 again

soso

That depletion/remission cycle is making my life pretty difficult at the moment.

I could do with some counseling, it is depressing and distressing.

DCaplinger

I thank God I don't have that issue. My production is nil, and has been for a while. I think I agree with earlier comments, I'd pray for either healing or for complete lost of indiginous production so I could move on with my treatment.

SoSo... lean on is, kiddo. That's what we are here for. :)

Regards,

D

soso

I have been having such a lousy time with it lately I can barely talk about it. Started with lows on lows on lows about 5 weeks ago, I suspected my basal and cut it back which helped at least with the before meal lows (which weren't deep, but hard to work efficiently with) In fact I got so I was only using 3u of Lantus, so I decided to stop as it was such a small amount maybe I could just do without fora little holiday.. no prob for a week then waking higher than I like so have re introduced it..

Last week I had normal bf results and then insane, unexplainable highs after lunch, which would then drop like a stone if I finally did a 1 unit correction..

I tested meter on meter, tested with diff meters so it really was happening.. for example one day i was 10.6 nearly 3 hours after lunch I corrected with 2 units and 75 mins later was 4 and 10 mins after that was 3.2...

If that happened to me once I just put it down to experience and move on, but similar scenarios happened 3 days out of 5, I can find all kinds of explanations for A led to B etc, but my normally reasonably reliable control seems to be having a freak out... I suspect that I am up and down other times of the day as when I randomly test about half the times I am having numbers that while not unduly high, are not at all what I expect and I feel odd sometimes and don't test (prolly as a result of depression about it)

Even my DH who likes to always pretend I am fine (I don't mean that in a bad way) agrees that something is fishy...

So I have just dialed everything back and logging and things are a little better, but it is still happening just smaller swings and I managed to get through yesterday without a high or a low.....it is sucking my energy and clients keep saying how tired I look.... I try not to bleed all over them..lol

Thanks for listening...

Ategeler

I am in the same boat as you. It is so frustrating when dealing with the inconsistencies in insulin production! I never know what to expect from day to day sometimes.

Hope things get better soon for you.

tiffanyfaith86

same here, just lastnight i was 167 before dinner, did 4u Humalog(been doing 1-3 lately, but had a medium fry from Mc D's) and 2 1/2 hours later at 10 something i was 109 so i was pleased. I did my Lantus 12u. And before breakfast at 9am, my FBG was 191. How is that possible?

Ategeler

Well I am no expert on this but I am going to venture a guess which could be totally wrong. But could it have something to do with the Dawn Phenomenon?

tiffanyfaith86

thats what i was thinking, but if i was 107 and did my 24hr shouldnt i of only been like maybe 130 or so.. not close to 200. I would say thats to high even for dawn phenom.

Ategeler

I am just too new at this whole thing myself. It is a bit of a mystery to me too. Hopefully, one of the more seasoned members can shed some light on your overnight increase in BG!

kingleonidas

My c-peptide is 1.6, islet cell negative, gad-65 negative, binding proteins negative, insulin serum is 7.

Does this look like type 2?

foxl
My c-peptide is 1.6, islet cell negative, gad-65 negative, binding proteins negative, insulin serum is 7.

Does this look like type 2?

LADA CAN look like T2. By most definitions (not all), Type 2 CAN, or not, involve a certain amount of insulin resistance as well as autoimmune process.

My C-pep is 1.3, low-middle normal range. LADA is just about any combination of positive antibodies, and insulin resistance is present or absent.

foxl

Didn't you say you had ICAs? (Islet Cell Antibodies?).

Looks to me like you have some characteristics of both. What is your weight/BMI?

kingleonidas

Islet cell ab was negatIve,m no antibodies and gad was also negative. Totally normal. After losing 25@ounds I am now 5 foot 9 inches and 170 pounds.

Ategeler

The higher the number in a C-Peptide the more insulin resistance you have. Your number looks lower than what I would expect from a Type 2. Also, some people are Type 1 w/o showing antibodies. Maybe yours haven't shown up yet? I am by no means an expert on this but I do know that postive GAD are very common in LADA diagnosis.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.