Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

duck

Anyone here with HypOthyroid?

lgvincent

Thanks to not being informed of my options by my doctor, I have hypothyroidism. I had Grave's Disease and he gave me the radioactive iodine. I take synthroid but don't like it. I've heard it can cause weight gain and I'm 13 pounds heavier than before the Grave's Disease started. I take extra in hopes of getting my weight down but it doesn't help. I'm interested in trying something new.

nantomsuethom

lg, I have been taking sythroid for 27 years. My weight has rollercostered all my life but it's my own fault from crazy dieting. :o

I have never heard that synthroid makes you gain weight. Whenever my dose is increased my doctor says "this will help you lose a few pounds".

I read recently (can't recall were) that they wanted to try synthroid on obese people to see if would help them to lose weight.

archimeech

I've been on synthroid 88mcg for 1 year now. I too have Graves Disease. Lowell, outside of taking even riskier drugs to reduce the effects of hyperthyroid, what other alternatives are there? Not that it matters for us now, but I'm still curious.

KrisinNM

Most TIs also have hypothyroidism as it is one of those autoimmune diseases that our bodies (having nothing better to do) decide to attack. I was tested right away when diagnosed with diabetes.

I take 250 mcg a day. Of course it doesn't come in that dosage so I have to pay for a 200 and a 50. :mad: It is also one of the few drugs that the generic is not as good.

duck

Cool--I ask because I am taking 350 mcg a day (yeah, that is not a typo, 350) since my TSH levels are always "high". I was supposed to do another lab in the middle of last year, but I got hosed with work, decided I disliked my endo anyway, etc., but I can safely assume that when I start up with my new doc here this month, they will want labs on my TSH at 350 mcg of levothyroxine, and those labs too will show elevated TSH.

So, I was doing some research yesterday on "synthroid". There is a lot of debate about how generic versions of synthroid vary wildly in potency--The best advice available was if you are forced to use generics, get -retested, and tell the pharmacy and insurance you want one type of generic, not different kinds for different refills...Makes sense.

But there are a number of proponents for Armour Thyroid and "Thyrolar", two thryoid-replacement prescriptions that add T3 in addition to T4 (synthroid uses only T4). The "accepted" thinking right now in endocrinology is that synthroid and it's T4-only composition is fine since the body can create all the T3 it needs from T4, when needed. But the counter argument is basically the body manufactures it's own T3 when it needs it in "normal" people, as opposed to converting T4...So that got me thinking about getting my doc to precribe Thyrolar or Armour Thyroid, and then see where my TSH is.

I am weary of hoping for a "magic bullet", but I generally always feel a bit tired and my hair has always been a bit coarse since I was dx'd as hypothroidic (back in 1987). From the anectdotal stories on the WWW, seems like a little T3 worked for a lot of people. I was just curious to know if anyone here is taking a T3 drug and your results.

BTW, T3 is apparently much more potent than T4, so you'd need much less of a T3/T4 medication than straight T4 only...

I'll post an update if/when I have one, if anyone cares about my progress on this.

nantomsuethom

Duck, I never looked into the meds that far to know about the T3 and T4, very interesting.

As for the generic issue, a few years ago my doctor refused to prescribe the generic synthroid, now he does. I have noticed that my TSH runs around 4 with synthroid and low with the generic. I haven't talked to the doctor about this yet. His office gave me 8 weeks worth of samples (generic) and my TSH was 0.06! I just had my prescription filled (200mcg alternating with 175mcg), synthroid. If my level seems to go up again I think I will discuss it with my doctor and stick to the generic.

duck

Yeah, I was just "popping pills" as prescribed, and unlike my diabetes, I never really researched hypothryroidism or synthroid/levothyroxine. I attributed my lethargy to diabetes, but since I have recently become real aggressive in keeping my sugars in check, and my overall feeling of "being well" has increased, I still feel a little lethargic, etc. And I know self-diagnosis is a trap, but my symptoms would lead me to think I have hypothyroidism (if I didn't already know it)--But I know that, and my treatment doesn't seem to be working as well as hoped.

In any case, I am hopeful. It's not like I feel sick or worn out, just lethargic mostly. And I know that many people feel that way without being afflicted, but I need to rule it out--And then if that's just how I am, I will learn to live with that. :D

webpundit

I'm on 88mcg Synthroid.

I'm very interested in hearing more about how many more people have experience with weight gain on this medication. Like most other posters I too have only heard about weight loss when one is on Synthroid but both me and and my Mom (also recently diagnoised with hypothyroidism) have gained weight. Any others here?

KrisinNM

Thyroid disease is nothing to mess around with since thyroid function regulates lots of other things such as cholesterol levels and untreated can lead to heart attack.

Thanks for doing all the research Duck :) I always check out all prescriptionmeds before taking them but haven't kept up on the synthroid because I have been taking it for 20 years.

duck

I don't have my doctor's appointment until the 13th, so any progress about this will be a little slow depending on how the appointment goes--According to different "health" sites on the WWW, there is something of a raging debate about whether T3 is needed at all in thyroid hormone replacement therapy. Some doctors cite studies that indicate replacement T3 therapy is dangerous, particularly for patients with heart trouble or the potential for cardiac-related issues. And the pro-T3 camp says that is really no different than it is for patients using synthroid; You need to be aware of the issues for cardiac patients.

I intend to try and discuss all this with my new doctor. I have also made an appointment with a new endo, but that won't be until March--And as far as I know, I am heart-healthy, but being a diabetic now for over a decade I don't take anyting for granted anymore! :eek:

zookeeper671

I've been on Synthroid (88mcg) for hypothyroidism for the past 8 years. My doc has mentioned adding T3 to help combat some fatigue. As for weight gain, I suppose I'm lucky. Have never had a problem on, or off, of Synthroid.

duck
I've been on Synthroid (88mcg) for hypothyroidism for the past 8 years. My doc has mentioned adding T3 to help combat some fatigue. As for weight gain, I suppose I'm lucky. Have never had a problem on, or off, of Synthroid.

If you do it (and please consider the stuff the "Anti-T3 crowd" says), please let us know the results. I am very curious about T3 now.

BTW, nice signature.

SunniD

I've been on thyroid meds for hypothyroid for many years ~25. Mine was Hashimoto's disease I believe.

When I started on human synthetic insulins I required more thyroid meds

cause I felt really lethargic or what I call a couch potatoe. I phoned Eli

Lily about Humalog and was told they sent letters to all docs telling them

to increase the doses of pts. on this new insulin at the time. I do not know

of any doc who received that letter so none would increase dose. I finally

walked out on last one, went home and phoned Eli Lily and then got a

retired endo to help me get the right dose prescribed as I had to live for

3 yrs without enough and it's real hard and lots of symptoms.

My dose is finally where it should be and am on Novorapid insulin now.

My tests are excellent and I take 137 mcg for 2 days and 150 mcg the next.

I'm kind of picky so really fine tuned it. I have to mark calendars now to make

sure I get right dose but it helps.

I also know of people using animal supplements for thyroid as well as other

hormones like PTH. When I considered that I found you had to take into account 'mad cow' which didn't really bother me having been on beef and pork insulin most of my life. The biggest concern was the fact that there is

no regulation to the dose and it's not listed on bottle. I guess if it was good

enough for the cow, it's good enough for a human or so it appears but

that didn't wash with me. With the variance between pills and lot nos. I didn't think it was even worth trying. The lady I know came for treatment

here for a cancer tumor and she lost her PTH and thyroid because of the

treatment. If you guys think we're lethargic you should see someone without

PTH. She requires the animal supplements to live as there is no med for

replacement of that from what she said. I didn't check into that.

My wt. gain was directly related to the human synthetic insulins. 20 lbs.each

time I started the insulins on the first day for a grand total of 60 lbs. There is more fluid in all my tissues in whole body. My pics really tell the story.

I have reported this drug adverse affect so it is documented and the companies are aware of it also but do not know how to prevent it yet.

A cure would do that nicely<smile>.

I chat with a cameraman in England and between the two of us we've had

all tests done we can think of to determine what can be done for swelling.

It's not an allergy, or amyloidosis or any other disease so we are still trying to

figure out what can be done. Eating less carbs thus less insulin helps some.

Exercise also helps but that's all we've discovered between the two of us.

SunniD

SunniD

I found some new info on thyroid treatment for Diabetics at Medscape.

This is a site for medical staff and the latest reports available so thought it was interesting.

Quote:

"The Effects of Recombinant Human Thyrotropin, in Normal Subjects and Patients with Goitre

Posted 12/28/2004

Viveque Egsgaard Nielsen; Steen Joop Bonnema; Laszlo Hegedüs

Introduction

Characterization of the human thyrotropin (TSH) α and β-subunit in the late 1980s (Hayashizaki et al., 1985; Wondisford et al., 1988) paved the way for the production of recombinant human thyrotropin (rhTSH), which subsequently allowed detection of residual/recurrent disease in patients with differentiated thyroid carcinoma (DTC) without the inexpedient use of bovine TSH (bTSH) or human cadaver pituitary-derived TSH (hTSH).

In the case of nontoxic multinodular goitre, a much more frequent disorder than DTC, the ideal treatment is under continuous debate (Hegedüs et al., 2003). Some clinicians favour levothyroxine (L-T4) suppressive therapy, despite little evidence to support this strategy, while others advocate thyroidectomy or 131I therapy (Bonnema et al., 2000, 2002b). Although the latter treatment is frequently used in some countries (Bonnema et al., 2000) its effectiveness can be hampered by a low thyroid radioiodine-uptake (RAIU), especially in areas with a high iodine intake. With the availability of rhTSH and its ability to stimulate thyroid function, including thyroid RAIU, 131I therapy may be an option for a larger fraction of patients with benign goitre. In recent years, several studies have reported the effect of rhTSH on thyroid function and RAIU in healthy subjects as well as in patients with nodular nontoxic goitre. In this review we discuss the effects and side-effects of rhTSH in healthy individuals with an intact thyroid gland and furthermore important aspects of the use of rhTSH in patients with benign goitre treated with 131I. "

The rest of the report followed.

Dewey

Hi Duck,

I'm Hypothyroid and am on Levoxyl .137 mg (blue pills, just wonder about those colors and our bodies... :whistling: ).

If I recall correctly, I started out on a lower dose back in 96 or so (.1 mg of Synthroid - little yellow pills). It then progressed to .112 and then up to .125, and on to .137, where it has now stayed....lol

Guest ImaHazelnut

I take Synthroid 150 mcg

I started out with a hyperactive thyroid and went through the radioactive iodine treatment. I have never heard Synthroid makes you gain weight. I have always been told it will help you lose weight if it affects weight in any manner. I have also always been told you should not take it as a weight loss pill and you should ALWAYS take it as instructed. Taking more than prescribed could result in the affects of an overactive thyroid and is dangerous.

gettingby

I'm up to 88mcg of Levoxyl now. Nurse told me that my thyroid levels were good at 6 weeks post dose change. Will be tested again at the end of December, along with A1C. Oh yeah, total weight lose since November of last year: 18.5 lbs.

cherokee_psh
total weight lose since November of last year: 18.5 lbs.

:congrats: Way to go!!!!! Any secrets you want to pass along??? AWWW, come on pllleeeaassee.

I'm on 112mg synthriod. I keep battling the same 15 lbs up then down then up.:fight:

gettingby
:congrats: Way to go!!!!! Any secrets you want to pass along??? AWWW, come on pllleeeaassee.

I'm on 112mg synthriod. I keep battling the same 15 lbs up then down then up.:fight:

No secrets. Just watch what I eat, count my carbs, and walk a little every day. If I can't walk, then I play outside with the dog. Do a little weight lifting too but not too much. Plenty of water too.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.