Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sumi

You say potato, I say jicama!!

sumi

Yesterday, while grocery shopping, I noticed jicamas. I had completely forgotten an old low carb trick that was a favorite of mine. Peel and slice the jicama, roll it in olive oil (or other),add any kind of spices, I used pepper steak spice, and roast as you would sliced potatoes. Maybe its been too long since I ate a real potato, but I found it a great substitute. A one cup serving is 10 total carbs MINUS 6g fiber!!

Marcia K in Fl

I love jicama! I like to peel it and just eat it. It is great cold. It is not easy to find but hispanic areas of Florida carry it and I always buy them. It is a white thing that is good for you!!Yum!

foxl

THANK YOU, Sumi!

I am of PA Dutch descent ... a cultural group whose motto is Patatas, patatas, patatas! In EVERYTHING. My mom had to cook that way for my dad, so growing up I expected my daily "patata," ... and then some. I feel decidedly lost.

Definitely, will try this.

sumi

Yes it IS great cold or in a salad - I ate 1/2 a cup of it while making my "roast potatoes". I read recently that it is a common snack in the Phillipines called singkamas where it is eaten with salt and vinegar, so I am going to try that too, next time I need a snack. Unfortunately;) , lately I have been less hungry than ever so rarely snack anymore!!

foxl
Yes it IS great cold or in a salad - I ate 1/2 a cup of it while making my "roast potatoes". I read recently that it is a common snack in the Phillipines called singkamas where it is eaten with salt and vinegar, so I am going to try that too, next time I need a snack. Unfortunately;) , lately I have been less hungry than ever so rarely snack anymore!!

Or you could bake them with salt and vinegar -- ooooooh how I miss vinegar chips!

Debbie Sue

Can they be fried like potatoes? They sound awesome! I tried the cauliflower 'mashed potato' recipe the other day and it was really good!

foxl
Can they be fried like potatoes? They sound awesome! I tried the cauliflower 'mashed potato' recipe the other day and it was really good!

I would think so ... but dry them off first! (OUCH!).

janice21475

Didn't quite know what to expect but I loved it. I made some plain slaw version for my husband and he liked it, too.

Kind of like a hard pear in taste but not as strong.

We had that, pork chop, yellow squash for dinner, then later hubby had 2 tablespoons peanut butter & a cup of 8th Continent Light (2 grams Carb) soy milk with SF Syrup AND later an Atkins candy bar. His BG this AM was 71.

We will have more of it tonight. I might liquefy it and put it in some SF jello - did that last night with celery and it was VERY GOOD. Put it in the freezer and it was like a frozen slushie.

Cheers,

Janice & Husband

Seagal

In parts of Mexico (at least from San Carlos to Manzanillo)the street vendors serve it in strips, with lime juice & chili powder. I is a very refreshing treat on a hot day.

I have tried frying, baking, steaming and it is pretty good in most variations. Because it is white (like turnips), you sorta expect it to taste like a potatoe, but even tho it doesn't it is still good.

I have also used daikon in the same manner, but I think I like jicama best.

Keri

Petrel

Ooh, I'm going to try this. I have jicama sticks in the fridge right now for the first time in a very long time -- brought a nice veggie basket in for the kindergartener's Easter party (even cut the cucumbers in flower and butterfly shapes with those tiny Wilton cutters), but the hyped-up little glucovores didn't touch a thing in it. Hrumph. :rolleyes:

janice21475

Tonight I shredded some of the jicama and fried it with green and yellow bell peppers and a little garlic oil. Served it with Pork Chop. Very good. We also had yellow squash. Hubby was at 84 before dinner and 2 hours later 80. That is good.

Granny Shanny

1/2 lb. ground chuck, browned & crumbled

1½ - 2 cups coarsely chopped cabbage

1 - 1½ cups jicama, peeled & diced

1/2 red bell pepper, diced

1/2 yellow bell pepper, diced

1/2 medium onion, diced

1½ cups water

2 tbsp. worcestershire sauce

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp ground red pepper (not cayenne)

3/4 cup raw macaroni (Dreamfields)

1/2 cup heavy cream

Combine meat and vegetables, sauté until veggies begin to wilt.

Add water & seasonings; bring to boiling. Add macaroni & cook exactly six minutes. Add cream and cook two more minutes (eight minutes is the full time for the Dreamfields).

This has good contrast in flavors, textures & colors. My everlovin' husband thinks it's stupendous, so I've fixed it twice already this week.

genie86333

I tried jicama recently too...very very good. I used it raw in place of crackers for scooping up chicken salad.

First time I tried it, I didn't get to do a post-prandial, but by late that night (pre-dinner, about 6 hours later, after a low-carb cheese snack, so not fasting) had the best reading (145) I've had lately. The next night, I did a 2 hr pp after finishing the jicama & chicken salad, with some sugar-free chocolate covered macadamias...and got a 250! Not sure if it was the SF Chocolate or the jicama...will have to test both of those separately.

I later read that jicama is a legume & have had problems with other legumes (lentils!), so it *might* be the problem. Really would hate if it is though, cause it's great & I've missed having the crunch with the chicken salad.

genie86333

Grrrr...I decided to test the jicama tonight. Had a wonderful pre-meal reading of 109 (109 YAY!)...ate what was left of the jicama - about a cup, so about 10g of carbs worth, half of that being fiber...and my 1 hr pp was 156, almost a 50 point rise. :( We'll see what it is in another hour, but it's looking like jicama was the culprit the other night.

dbaratta
Yesterday, while grocery shopping, I noticed jicamas. I had completely forgotten an old low carb trick that was a favorite of mine. Peel and slice the jicama, roll it in olive oil (or other),add any kind of spices, I used pepper steak spice, and roast as you would sliced potatoes. Maybe its been too long since I ate a real potato, but I found it a great substitute. A one cup serving is 10 total carbs MINUS 6g fiber!!

wow, I never heard of jicamas. I will be looking for them next time I go to the store!!! Thanks. :D

janice21475
. . . . ate what was left of the jicama - about a cup, so about 10g of carbs worth. . . .

When we have it (which is as often as I can find it) the serving size is much smaller. I cut a 2-3 inch wedge and grate it and fry it in olive oil with green onion & a touch of garlic. My husband loves it and it is good to his BS.

You might have overdosed at 1 cup. If you really like the taste, try a smaller portion.

For us, the cost factor was the reason for the small serving. Once I get some seeds and start growing our own, we may go off the deep end. :eek:

Regards,

Janice & her Husband

genie86333

Hi, Janice.

When I'd looked online 1 cup was the "serving" amount I saw most places & that was only 5g of digestible carbs (11 g total.) If 5 g of digestible carbs worth spikes me more than 60 points, it goes straight to my no-no list. Not worth the $ or time buying a food that I'd have to cut into so many servings (most of which would spoil before I'd use it all that way since I live alone.)

sumi

Genie, It might have been the aliens. I have found that I must test several times to make sure something really is spiking me. ( Especially if that something is pizza!!)

Bre_rosebud

I tried the jicama and didn't like it.I tried it raw first and then tried it fried.Also had Red try it,he didn't like it either.

janice21475

Today I harvested the first of the Jicama I planted this summer.

homegrownJicama.jpg

They are not tiny like I was worried they would be.

I fixed some of it for dinner tonight. Fried onions and green peppers and added 1/2 a finely grated Jicama. Very yummy.

Next summer I will be planting many more.

Wanted to share the results with you all, wish I could have you to dinner. :)

Janice

Seagal

My goodness! You certainly have a green thumb Janice. We have too many trees in our yard to produce much of anything. I envy you guys that have gardens.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.