Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sumi

You say potato, I say jicama!!

Seagal

Janice, your jicama was a star at the local market.....well, not your jicama, but the size.

Last Thursday we went to the farmers market and it was the first time I had ever seen jicama in manageable sizes! I bought 6 of them about the size of a beet, so much better for us than the enormous ones that usually abound. Much easier and less wasteful to be able to use one at a time rather than cut into a ginormous one and forget it is there waiting patiently, turning brown & squishy.

jwags

We can buy jicama but it is $3.99 per pound. It makes it a pricey dish. I wish I could plant some in my garden, but I think our growing season is way too short.

janice21475

Growing season, I think I remember the site I got the seeds from says a 5 month season of sunny days. You might still get something, just not real large, in less time. I was amazed to see anything in the ground. I was expecting more vine than I got. Plus, my plants did not produce seeds. I did get a few purple flowers that looked like sweet peas.

We are having some again tonight. There are possible two more out in ground I am leaving until we need them. Next year, Lord willing, I will plant many more. I may stagger them with the okra. They were planted near okra this time and the Jicama used the okra as a trellis. Beats building one. :)

Cheers,

Janice

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.