Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

9903card

Minimed Continuous Glucose Monitoring System sensor lasts 10+ days

9903card

I am interested if any members are currently using the CGM? I have used a Minimed pump for 10 years and about 5 months ago started using the CGM system. It is GREAT, you can download the results from your pump & print out many different reports. It makes adjusting basals & bolus's so much easier.

Anyway, I just learned during a seminar, that the white sensor will only allow you to have it connected for 7 days, then it gives you a sensor end message. If you disconnect the sensor and charge it up, then reconnect it, you can get alot more time out of the sensor, I have had mine in since Sat April 11th, & the readings are still accurate. Our insurance covers the sensors, but it is nice to get so much more time out of them.

Gordonm

Actually it will give you the sensor end at 3 days. I just hit new sensor and go another 3 days. If it is still working good I charge it up again and go for 3 more days and hit new sensor. I have gotten 1 sensor to go 12 days but I average about 6 to 7 days. I currently have one in for 9 days and still going.

I agree on the feature of downloading all the info. It really helps out the basal and bolus testing and keeping things in line. I really missed it on the day I took it off. I wanted to go a day or two without it but really missed not having the reading all the time. I now know pretty much where I am at all the time now.

GretchO

My endo downloads all the sensor information when I have my visits...it's nice for them to be able to see what I see.

I generally wear my sensors for 12 days. I've gone a bit longer but the accuracy starts to get a bit ooky after 12 or 13 days. I recharge the transmitter at about day 6.

GretchO

I got CGMS about 5 months after I got my pump so I'd say the combo is one factor that has helped bring my A1Cs down. CGMS made basal testing infinitely easier (especially overnight)...getting my basals set correctly has helped a lot. Going lower carb has also helped a LOT. My BSs are much steadier having reduced the amount of carbs I eat in a day (70-90 grams).

Gordonm

My A1cs even before the pump were in the 5.8 to 6.2 range. I have been about the same since the pump and the CGMS. I do not have the extreme high and lows to deal with so I feel my A1c is the same but it is a more stable number.

poodlebone

I also use my sensors until they die, recharging the transmitter as needed. Lately I can only get them to last a week, but I have gone as long as 15 days a couple of times.

I also had good A1cs but it was due to many low lows. The CGMS allows me to catch the highs & lows before they get too high or too low.

hjc56

I just started using the CGMS and I am wondering if anyone puts the sensor on their back hip, somewhat in the area that you would lay on at night if you are a side sleeper. I'm afraid my pump won't be able to pick up the transmitter. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks for any thoughts or insights.

poodlebone
I just started using the CGMS and I am wondering if anyone puts the sensor on their back hip, somewhat in the area that you would lay on at night if you are a side sleeper. I'm afraid my pump won't be able to pick up the transmitter. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks for any thoughts or insights.

I've never used that area but if you can find a place to keep your pump near it, it shouldn't be a problem. I often use my arms and while I try to sleep on the side where the sensor isn't inserted, I do end up rolling over during the night. I wear a pair of stretchy cotton shorts with side pockets and clip the pump inside the pocket on the same side as the sensor, or to my underpants if not wearing shorts/bottoms. I think if you did the same while having a sensor in the hip area, it should work.

GretchO

I use the back/hip area primarily and don't have issues with the pump picking up from the transmitter. I sleep on my side and tummy.

bigtruck454

I have had a Minimed pump for about 12 years, and I just started CGM on 6-2-09.

I am to uderstand that you are leaving the sensor in place for extended periods of time without complications?

I feel like I am babysitting the CGM system instead of it being of any help to me.

I am still doing fingersticks, and the accuracy of the CGM, and my care are dependant on that.

Minimed has recently changed the manual for CGM, and my educator said that I need to calibrate the CGM at least 4 times daily.

I am going to try and give this some time, but I am having difficulty beliving this is going to do any better than what I have previously been dong other than charting out progress.

The transmitter is returnable for 30 days.

I think this system needs some serious refining before it functions better in this busy world of ours.

poodlebone
I have had a Minimed pump for about 12 years, and I just started CGM on 6-2-09.

I am to uderstand that you are leaving the sensor in place for extended periods of time without complications?

I am still doing fingersticks, and the accuracy of the CGM, and my care are dependant on that.

Minimed has recently changed the manual for CGM, and my educator said that I need to calibrate the CGM at least 4 times daily.

If I leave a sensor in for 14 days, the site looks very good when I finally remove it. My sites from an infusion set that I remove after 3 days look worse and take much longer to fade. I think it's because the sensor isn't actually infusing anything into your body. I can barely see the spot on my arm where I removed a sensor 3 days ago (after having it in for 10 days), but on my abdomen I can see at least 5-6 little red spots from past infusion sets.

When did Minimed change the CGMS manual? The last time I called with a question they stressed, again, how you should only calibrate 2-4 times a day and they always make it seem like the fewer calibrations you do, the better. Some days when I have a sensor that's really tracking well I only calibrate two times. When I have one that's off, I do tend to overcalibrate.

The pump takes your last 4 calibrations into account when you do another calibration. I read a trick where if your sensor is off and you have a stable BG and some time to spare, do 4 calibrations in a row, 15 minutes apart. This gets 4 stable calibrations into the memory and helps to bring a sensor in line. I've used that trick twice and it did work.

I have some sensors that don't track well and others that are so good I will often bolus without doing a meter BG. It is frustrating when a sensor doesn't track well but overall the system has been a great tool for me.

Flyers01

You can have in for that long I only was doing 3 days I tried to do it a second time fro 6 days and the sensor get;s way off track with my Blood sugar 100 point difference.

I was thinking it is because I do situps everday and maybe messing up the sensor

Was thinking of trying to put in my upper thigh any thoughts

thanks all

9903card

I inserted one in my upper thigh on June 19th & still have it in, I tried it once before on my upper thigh and wasn't real happy, but this time it is working well. I think my problmwas was that it wasn't taped down well. My readings are very consistent most of the time.

To bigtruck454, stick with it, go to Minimed.com & see ifthere are any support group classes in your area,they have the quartely in Louisville, you learn alot & has made my CGM work better when you talk to people who use it each day. My A1C went from 7.6 to 6.4 after using CGM for 3-4 months

poodlebone
I inserted one in my upper thigh on June 19th & still have it in, I tried it once before on my upper thigh and wasn't real happy, but this time it is working well. I think my problmwas was that it wasn't taped down well. My readings are very consistent most of the time.

I had tried thigh sites twice before. First time was on my outer thigh and it did not work out. The second time was on my inner thigh and that worked okay but it was very weird having it there. I recently tried again, very high up on my thigh and on the border of the top/side. It didn't work great the first day and then I must have hit it or snagged it while using the bathroom. It bled some and started giving great readings. It died suddenly after 5 days and I was disappointed that I didn't get much life from it. My next one (and current one) I put in the same area on my left thigh. First day readings were way off, then I noticed a little blood under the dressing and the readings really improved. I'm on Day 5 with this sensor and am hoping I won't pull it out when it's time to recharge the transmitter.

I'm always happy when I find new sites to use.

Brittle Athlete

Wow! I paid out of pocket for the new pump and the sensors last year and had a terrible time with accuracy but I'm brittle lots of lows. Maybe since my purchase things have improved. Don't you worry about infections at the site where the sensor is since you wear it so long? I was warned by one of the trainers 3-4 days is okay but any longer and you risk infection and scarring. I'm really happy it's working for you! Congratulations

poodlebone

My CDE originally told me to use each sensor for a week, since that's how long you can go before the transmitter needs to be removed & recharged. I now will recharge the transmitter & put it back on the same sensor if it's still working well and has a good isig. I've only been using the sensors since June 2008 but have not had any infections or problems. I'm careful to rotate sites for both infusion sets & sensors so I'm not too worried about overusing any one area.

My current sensor was inserted on June 26th and is still working well.

rak1978

My current sensor was inserted on June 26th and is still working well.

Wow! That's impressive! The sensors are troublesome for me. My site gets red, itchy, and irritated about 3 days in.

I feel the need to rip it out asap when that happens.

poodlebone
Wow! That's impressive! The sensors are troublesome for me. My site gets red, itchy, and irritated about 3 days in.

I feel the need to rip it out asap when that happens.

When I put them in my abdomen they can get very itchy and it's worse in warmer weather. My arms work very well, less irritation and the transmitter doesn't dig into me there. For my last two sensors I've tried thigh sites and wasn't expecting good results but I've been pleasantly surprised. My first one in my right leg died suddenly on Day 5. The one I have now was almost pulled on Tuesday, when the isig & readings took a sudden dive. I was at work so I just turned it off and figured I'd pull it when I got home. I'm always afraid I'll misplace the transmitter so if I have a problem at work I don't remove it until I get home. I decided to turn it back on before leaving for the day and saw the isig had gone back up, so I calibrated and it's been working great since then! I think tomorrow will be day 14 and I'm not sure if I'll bother recharging the transmitter to keep this sensor going. I'll probably just insert a new one.

rak1978
When I put them in my abdomen they can get very itchy and it's worse in warmer weather. My arms work very well, less irritation and the transmitter doesn't dig into me there. For my last two sensors I've tried thigh sites and wasn't expecting good results but I've been pleasantly surprised. My first one in my right leg died suddenly on Day 5. The one I have now was almost pulled on Tuesday, when the isig & readings took a sudden dive. I was at work so I just turned it off and figured I'd pull it when I got home. I'm always afraid I'll misplace the transmitter so if I have a problem at work I don't remove it until I get home. I decided to turn it back on before leaving for the day and saw the isig had gone back up, so I calibrated and it's been working great since then! I think tomorrow will be day 14 and I'm not sure if I'll bother recharging the transmitter to keep this sensor going. I'll probably just insert a new one.

That's a good tip! I need to try other sites. I've only put them on my stomach, hip, and butt. Since I'm usually carrying a baby or kid, the stomach and hip get a lot of irritation. Next time I'll try either the arm or thighs...I'm scared.

:eek:

It seems that in this day and age they could figure out a way to make those needles a little less intimidating.

poodlebone
That's a good tip! I need to try other sites. I've only put them on my stomach, hip, and butt. Since I'm usually carrying a baby or kid, the stomach and hip get a lot of irritation. Next time I'll try either the arm or thighs...I'm scared.

:eek:

It seems that in this day and age they could figure out a way to make those needles a little less intimidating.

It can be tricky inserting an arm site if you do it by yourself (I do) but it's not impossible. I insert on the upper outside part of my arm. If I'm standing with my arms down at my sides, palms in, you would see the sensor straight on if you looked at me from the side. I know some people use the backs of their arms but my skin seems so much more sensitive there and I don't think I'd be able to insert there without help.

Anyway, if I'm inserting in my right arm I'll use my left hand to pinch up the skin and I can manage to hold the inserter in my right hand and get the sensor in. My arm sensors are always inserted with the sensor pointing down and the transmitter on top. The trickiest part is actually connecting the transmitter and then taping it down without making a mess.

A few of the sensors have made my arm feel sore but not enough to get me to remove it. My last arm site went through periods where it hurt like crazy but only for a short time. That happened 2-3 times a day. I wonder if my arm movements caused the sensor to shift a little and touch a nerve - the pain was bad!! After about 5 days it stopped. Since it only happened a few times a day and for just a short time I put up with it because the sensor was a good one.

I am extremely pleased with the leg sites and will be using them more often. I'd like to avoid my abdomen all summer if possible because sites there get very irritated in the heat & humidity.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.