Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

duck

What other diseases are common for diabetics?

duck

I know that "many" Type-1 diabetics (and Type-2s?) have issues with thyroid function as well, so it is not uncommon to have diabetes and hypothyroidism. I have been told that the other "common" issue that may develop is a lack of adrenal response as the three seem to be related. Has anyone else ever heard/been told this?

-AND-

Is anyone here aware of any other auto-immune issues that can crop up for diabetics?

HeatherP

Celiac disease. I'm currently working on getting a diagnosis. It's sort of like having an allergy to certain grains and their by-products (this is not an accurate way of describing Celiac, but makes it easier to understand). :(

HeatherP

duck
Celiac disease. I'm currently working on getting a diagnosis. It's sort of like having an allergy to certain grains and their by-products (this is not an accurate way of describing Celiac, but makes it easier to understand). :(

HeatherP

I know what it is, and the thought of that makes me wanna cuss...I know that when I first joined this forum, there was a member who talked about her husband getting diagnosed with that as well, but she didn't make it sound like diabetes was causal; Please tell me you don't know this for a fact... :eek:

HeatherP

There's a definite link: T1 and thyroid problems are risk factors, but that doesn't mean that you're guaranteed to develop it.

KickStart101

Hey Duck: Well, I've never done a study on it but I knew of 2 Diabetics

with Type 1 in my past neighbourhood that got Rheumatoid Arthritis

that is also an Autoimmune Disease, plus myself. I have also, this past

year, dxd. 3 other Type 1 Diabetics with Rheumatoid in the U.S. on other boards. They went to their Doc's, mentioned it, their Docs sent them to Rheumatologists and sure enough. They came back to thank me for the diagnosis. No big deal, I have it, I know the signs. Some of them also have Raynaud's Disease/Phenomenom. I also have that.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.