Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

vulnerable26

20 weeks preg and need advice

vulnerable26

It has been a long while since I last posted but here I am 20 weeks pregnant with a baby girl:eek: After having many miscarriages in the past I am so worried this pregnancy will turn out that way. I am doing the best I can to keep my sugars under control.

My question is the only thing I can tolerate eating is fruit and carbs. My peri said as long as my sugar is under 200 I should be ok. I lost almost 20 pounds with this pregnancy thus far. After reading lots of stuff online I am starting to think otherwise my blood sugar should be back down to more normal ranges. I take my insulin and *try* to eat healthy, but not eating or being able to hold anything down is making me run higher.

Do you honestly think the occasional 200+ spike is okay for my baby. My average blood sugar is around 120 to 150. Thanks for reading, I am just so worried I will mess this up and kill my baby:(

Keezheekoni

You won't kill your baby, though you're likely going to have a very large baby with low blood sugar issues at birth. Breastfeed as much as you can when she's born and don't allow sugar water or formula to be used unless absolutely necessary. Your breastmilk will be the best thing she can have to get her numbers up.

My peri and OB are keeping me in really tight control during this pg. Under 95 fastings and under 120 2 hours post-prandial. If I even look at going over 200 my natural labor and non-induction plans will be thrown out the window.

Good luck to you! If you're still having hyperemesis or something causing you to only eat certain things, you might ask for a script of phenergan. It seems to work really well for hyperemesis. :)

vulnerable26
You won't kill your baby, though you're likely going to have a very large baby with low blood sugar issues at birth. Breastfeed as much as you can when she's born and don't allow sugar water or formula to be used unless absolutely necessary. Your breastmilk will be the best thing she can have to get her numbers up.

My peri and OB are keeping me in really tight control during this pg. Under 95 fastings and under 120 2 hours post-prandial. If I even look at going over 200 my natural labor and non-induction plans will be thrown out the window.

Good luck to you! If you're still having hyperemesis or something causing you to only eat certain things, you might ask for a script of phenergan. It seems to work really well for hyperemesis. :)

Yes I was worried about the baby being big however last peri appt the baby was 4 days behind? He stated that he would have never known I was a diabetic if I had not told him. This is where I am confused my numbers are all over the place and so far so good. Maybe I am just lucky? Or maybe to early to tell? I was prescribed something for the morning sickness however as with everything I am allergic lol. Thanks for the reply =)

Keezheekoni

I'm assuming that you had the typical 20 weeks scan at your peri's office to tell you that the baby is 4 days behind? Trust me when I say that at the 20 week scan u/s are +/-7 days. As you get later in the pregnancy it goes upwards to +/- 21 days. The best time to "date" the pregnancy if you don't know when you ovulated and conceived is around 6-8 weeks along. If you were measuring on time then, then the baby is fine. My babies don't actually get "bigger" until the last trimester. Now I'm measuring 3 weeks ahead, but just two weeks ago I was 2 weeks behind. :T

vulnerable26
I'm assuming that you had the typical 20 weeks scan at your peri's office to tell you that the baby is 4 days behind? Trust me when I say that at the 20 week scan u/s are +/-7 days. As you get later in the pregnancy it goes upwards to +/- 21 days.

Oh I did not know that. The peri said everything looked normal thus far. I am trying to keep a tight control as I go further into this pregnancy to avoid having to have a c section. Thanks again I am still all very new to this!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.