Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tony

Exercise Program?

Tony

What is everyones EXERCISE PROGRAM?

I'm not exercising now or ever, so that is why I'm asking, because i need to.

Mick

I have a treadmill and recumbant bike in the basement. 3 times a week I do 3 20-minute rotations, from the treadmill to the bike, to stair-stepping with free weights, for an hour. I tend to run, not walk, between 4.5-5 mph, up at least a 10% grade, so I'll cover maybe 1.5 miles in the 20 min. My cycling is against a fairly heavy resistance, and I'll cover 4.5-5 miles in the 20 min., going about 12 mph. I use 5 lb weights and step to pretty fast music, doing arm curls and extensions the whole time. In the summer, I'll go outside and run maybe 5 miles in an hour 10 min, or cycle 15-20 miles in about the same amount of time. I find that listening to music the whole time is a good way to keep going. I wear a heart monitor while I exercise, because having had a heart attack several years ago, I need to meet certain cardiac output goals. I sometimes will wake up at 5am and exercise before work (like 5:15-6:15) but more often I do it after work. I usually do a workout one day on the weekend as well. I always test before and after. I have been doing this routine for several years, and find that my weight is way down and staying there, my endurance is way up--beyond what I could do as a teenager, my body fat index is below 10%, and my cardiac efficiancy is close to 100%. I can't say it does much for my diabetes directly, except help to mess up my sugar levels for a while afterwards!

Michael

Alysse404

I try to exercise at least four times a week, for at least 45 minutes each time. I was diagnosed in November 2001, so I'm pretty new to the disease, but exercise has really been a great release for me. Exercising regularly makes me feel like I have more energy throughout the week and I definitely sleep better after I have exercised. It's often difficult to find the time to exercise some days, but if I just take 30-45 mins out of my day to exercise I feel it's time well spent because I'm making my body put those carbs to work! Also, if I just don't feel like exercising some days, I'll try to make sure i"m not just sitting around. I've spent many Saturday mornings at the mall walking around and doing some shopping because if I didn't I know I'd just sit on the couch and do work. Overall, I think you need to create a schedule that works best for you and that is something that you enjoy.

Who

First off, Tony, man you need to workout cause it will simply make you feel better!

I run 2-2.5 miles (20-25 minutes) at least twice a week. Sometimes I run (pun intended) outta time, thus only 2 times a week! But I also do Power 90 which is a great workout video!!! Talk about working up a sweat!! Those tapes cover cardio as well as muscles and have two levels. 1/2 and 3/4. Just moved to 3/4 myself. :)

I workout 6 times a week, less if I am really unlucky and can't get the time. Sometimes I end up working out very late at night, but then again I am a night owl at times so on those nights, like tonight, no big deal!

Exercise will really help with the blood levels too and help keep you wanting to eat healthy!

I hope that those of you who are not working out now, will start soon. Even if it is something as little as walking 30 minutes, that will help!

Best of luck to all!!

Who

Harold

Haven't exercised since high school. I would say boot camp but I was in such good shape when I went in I never found it demanding. Since then some jobs required enough physical demands I didn't need it. Now I have my eye on a used exer-bike I plan on buying today. Going to put it in the living room so I don't forget about it.:D

statdeac

My exercise routine has varied greatly in the 2 years since I was diagnosed. When I was first diagnosed, I went crazy getting out 5-6 times a week with 30-60 minutes of cardio (walk/run or machine) and weights 3x/week. Over a period of 9 months, I was able to lower my a1c from 12.7 to 5.5!

Then, after a few bouts with dizziness doing "body boogies" on the "Ab Doer" and getting sick, I cut back and got out of my normal eating habits. My average bg readings also gradually rose 15-20 points with more highs and lows, and I put on a few pounds.

For the last 3 weeks, I have been back "on the wagon" and am using a variety of tools, including Kathy Smith's Walkfit tape (not stressful on the joints), Tae Bo and the Ab Doer (hopelessly addicted to infomercials??). I try to do "something" five time per week, for a total weekly exercise time of about 3 hrs.

I have a drs. appt. tomorrow. Maybe I'm getting in shape for that? Funny how upcoming drs. visits can be motivating! Anyone else find that to be true??

hera

i really do not exercise but i do get a lot of exercise on my job.

i take off old magazines and put up new ones. it is mostly walking. i know that i am getting exercise because i have to watch that my sugar level does not drop. when i eat while i am working, i do not take any insulin since i am burning it off.

i work about 6 hours 5 days a week and i am dead tired when i come home.

Wedge

Workout 5 to 6 days a week depending on if im really tired or had a long fire call.I allways start with stairmaster for about 15 min and from there i hit the weights. Monday- Chest and triceps----Tuesday back and biceps---wednesday legs---Thursday shoulders,traps,fourarms. I do stomach in between sets,crunches for 75 to 100 reps. I do my workouts in the morning before breakfast. The exercise in the morning raises my blood sugar so I dont have to worry about not eating. I train at 5:00 am until 6:00 includes my cardio thats it folks 45 min weights 15 cardio and yes u can do the weights in a 1/2 hour its hard but what a pump. I dont have anymore time then this in the morning. At night im with the family usually wrestling with my 5 yr old son who thinks he is the next hulk hogan or just chilling out watching some t.v. Because of the early start im in bed by 9:00 pm. Yes i miss the news thats what my pager is for gives me all the info I need plus the first 10 min of the news is all negative anyway. Im starting to get into the Karate again because of the son and do this at night after dinner for about 1/2 an hour to 45 min but no more then 2 to 3 times a week.:cool:

rfm

I don't have an exercise program at present, and think I need to

plan a slow increase in how much I do since I suspect that my stroke last January messed up my ability to feel tiredness enough that I don't feel tired even after walking enough farther in one day then in any day on the previous month that I won't be able to stand up the next day (not from feeling tired, but from other effects of overexercise).

Also due to my stroke, for some time I would need to plan for something I can do without a ride away from my house - not even to buy something hard to carry,

statdeac

Since I pulled my calf muscle about 6 weeks ago, I have not been able to exercise as regularly. Boy is this affecting my insulin intake! I'm up to about 1 u. humalog to 10g carbs vs. 1:20 before.

statdeac

OK, I am starting to feel better and am exercising more and overall control is better, but I am still taking 1 unit for every 10 g. of carbs! Seems like a lot of insulin to me.

I will try to be patient and see if this improves.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.