Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

keisha

Im T2 and just found out im pregnant.

keisha

hi everyone, I just found out that im 4 weeks pregnant and my levels are not too good at all. I dont know what to do. Ive just recently started getting my sugar down. It was 75 this morning (never this low in the am fasting) but i know if I get my a1c checked it would be about 13%. What do i do. What can i do to make sure my pregnancy healthy?

genie86333

Hi, Keisha.

Congrats on the pregnancy & welcome to the forum!

First thing to do: don't stress! Stress isn't good for the baby nor is it good for your bs levels.

Good to know you've already started trying to get your numbers down. How are you doing it?

If you haven't already, contact your doctor to discuss if there's anything you need to do differently.

Also, try to avoid (if you're not already) "white" foods - pasta, rice, potatoes, bread...anything high in carbs.

Most of all...test, test, test. (but I'm sure you knew that already!) :)

keisha
Hi, Keisha.

Congrats on the pregnancy & welcome to the forum!

First thing to do: don't stress! Stress isn't good for the baby nor is it good for your bs levels.

Good to know you've already started trying to get your numbers down. How are you doing it?

If you haven't already, contact your doctor to discuss if there's anything you need to do differently.

Also, try to avoid (if you're not already) "white" foods - pasta, rice, potatoes, bread...anything high in carbs.

Most of all...test, test, test. (but I'm sure you knew that already!) :)

Honestly I dont know how im doing it. Before I found out i was pregnant it seemed like eating better and keeping my levels down was the hardest thing to do. But as soon as i found out i was pregnant it came like second nature. I am avoiding "white" foods, junk foods and regular sodas. Even though at times my sugar gets low and I have to have a cup of juice to stop the dizzy feeling. Ive been more aware of sticking on a schedule as to when I take my medicine, that has seemed to help alot. So far my sugar hasnt been above 155:)

I just want to do whatever I can to make this a healthy pregnancy, even if the odds are against me.

mell1682
hi everyone, I just found out that im 4 weeks pregnant and my levels are not too good at all. I dont know what to do. Ive just recently started getting my sugar down. It was 75 this morning (never this low in the am fasting) but i know if I get my a1c checked it would be about 13%. What do i do. What can i do to make sure my pregnancy healthy?

First off, I wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS!!! Second, I know it's absolutely stressful right now, but if you keep testing and figuring things out, you can do this. I'm not a type 2 but I was very out of control when I got pregnant both times, A1C's 11 and 13. I was scared out of my mind but the only thing we can do is change how things are NOW. It was scary at first with all the bad things looming over me but my daughters came out 100% healthy and you'd never know they came from a diabetic! I agree with everything Genie said, you should see your doctor ASAP. I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you! Sorry I wrote so much :)

slipperyelm

Congratulations. I was amazed at how motivating it pregnancy was to eating right, too! I was not type 2 nor did I even have gestational diabetes, but I ate so commendably through pregnancy---all for my baby of course! :) There are a lot of things you'll find you will be able to do--all for your baby of course-- some of them harder than eating right for 9 months.

I'm thinking you have not called for an appointment with an OB-gyn yet. Do that today. When you make the call, tell them you are type 2, have an A1c of 13, and on metformin, and insulins. I think the OB-gyn may want to get your medications & insulin more on track right away, So be prepared for an appointment right away, and perhaps a referral to an endocrinologist if you do not already see one. If they do not offer an appointment right away, ask for one, or ask to speak directly with the doctor.

Now don't be afraid, type 2 women can certainly make it through pregnancy and birth just fine and have wonderfully healthy babies. We welcome you to tell us how things are going and to ask questions. Everything you say here and ask here is likely to help someone else who is too shy to post or who had not yet thought of those same things but was about to!

Again, congratulations!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.