Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shankar_m

type2 - pregnant levels over 140 after meal

shankar_m

My wife is type 2 diabetic and during while planning for pregnancy we consulted an endocrinologist at a reputed hospital in Bangalore. He checked her H1AC levels and asked us to go ahead and try to conceive.

Now she is around 5 to 6 weeks pregnant. She has been on Glycomet 250 mg (Metmorfin) for the past 2 months. We consulted a gynecologist and during the ultrasound scan, the fetus appeared healthy (yolk/sac) , expect that the heart beat of the fetus was not yet found. They suggested we have a scan again on 14th may

But meanwhile her insulin levels have been over 140 to 200, one and half hours after food. We consulted the endocrinologist about these high levels, but he asked us to wait until they locate the heart beat of the fetus in the upcoming scan, before my wife is put onto insulin.

We are really worried because of her high levels ((140 to 200) 90 minutes after meal), that if these might have already had any adverse effect on the baby?

I request you to please guide us and provide answers to these queries:

1. Because of the high levels mentioned would there have been any affect on fetus (6 weeks now)

2. If there any problems with the fetus, when will we come to know about it? and what can we do about it?

3. Do you think it is better for us consult another endocrinologist?

Please email us back as we are really worried.

shankar_m
what sort of diet are you eating? have you been working to reduce her carbohydrate intake?

Yes, We have reduced her card intake. She is now eating lot of vegetables (cucumber, green leafy vegetables, carrots). She is also following 3 snacks and 3 small meals plan.

She is also excercising (walking)

But our main worry is the glucose levels (over 140 to 200) and whether it might have had an affect on fetus (she is around 6 weeks pregnant now

matingara
Yes, We have reduced her card intake. She is now eating lot of vegetables (cucumber, green leafy vegetables, carrots). She is also following 3 snacks and 3 small meals plan.

She is also excercising (walking)

But our main worry is the glucose levels (over 140 to 200) and whether it might have had an affect on fetus (she is around 6 weeks pregnant now

i cannot help you with the effect of glucose levels on the fetus. i have no expertise in that area.

with BGLs over 140 - she might need to reduce her carb intake even more. have you TOTALLY eliminated breads, rice, fruit, grains, potatoes (etc) from here diet?

:)

-- Joel.

genie86333

While I'm not a doctor & can't say there *won't* be any problems, I will tell you my personal experience with this. I had 2 diabetic pregnancies & the doctors didn't do *anyhing* about it - no special diet, no medication, no insulin, they didn't even advise me to get a meter. Both babies were large and my oldest briefly went blue when the cord was cut because of the sudden drop in blood sugar, but neither had lasting problems because of it.

Also, other than inheriting poor genes from my mother (who was also type 2) I had no health problems as a child even though my mother was diabetic when she was pregnant with me in a time that there were no at-home blood sugar meters & she was on a low-fat diet (which of course means high-carb - I remember lots of pasta from my childhood!!!!!)

Oh, also, I second Joel's advice -- try cutting all "white" foods (pasta, rice, bread, potatoes) out of her diet, if you haven't already done so.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.