Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

angel007

type 1 and c-sections

angel007

Hi

I am currently 31 weeks and at my last appt. my dr was talking about c-sections and diabetes. I was just curious this being my first child and knowing that with diabetes you dont heal as fast, wondering if anyone one has had a c-section and if you had many complications. I have had a few friends that have had to have it done, unfortunitly they dont have diabetes..any responce would be great!!

Thanks

Angel

mell1682
Hi

I am currently 31 weeks and at my last appt. my dr was talking about c-sections and diabetes. I was just curious this being my first child and knowing that with diabetes you dont heal as fast, wondering if anyone one has had a c-section and if you had many complications. I have had a few friends that have had to have it done, unfortunitly they dont have diabetes..any responce would be great!!

Thanks

Angel

I think most doctors mention a risk of c-section because some doctors induce all diabetic mothers and the induction carries a risk of ending up in a c-section as well as a diabetic risk of larger babies. I have been type 1 since I was 5, had my first baby at 22 and was induced at 36 wks. I didn't end up with a c-section. It was the same with my 2nd baby...I had a really good doctor who let me be induced for 2 days and I didn't need a c-section. I have had abdominal surgery and while it's not the same, I had no problems recovering. I was in pain for a short while and I had to really watch what I lifted but I didn't get any infection. I think it did take just a little longer for my incision to fully heal through the layers but nothing bad happened. CONGRATULATIONS to you and I am sorry I know nothing more.

sarahspins

I've had 3 pregnancies and 3 vaginal deliveries (babies ranging from 8lb-9lb).. no reason to think you shouldn't be able to. Two of those were inductions and my last was a spontanous labor.

If you do need a C/S though, as long as you are in good control of your blood sugar your healing/recovery shouldn't be much different.

xMenace

One reason for a c-sec is retinopathy. If you are having eye issues and a risk of hemhoraging, it will most certainly be recommended you have it done.

csad
Hi

Thanks

Angel

Hi Angel. I hear your concern, I was as anxious as you during my pregnancy. I can tell you that I had the sort of outcome you're worried about - but it ended up fine. I've had type 1 diabetes for 23 years and now have a wonderful 19-month-old - the result of a c-section after 22 hours of induced labor. The c-section did not heal well -- I went home thinking all was well, and a few days later was back in the hospital, as an outpatient, and they realized it wasn't healing and cleaned it up so it could heal slowly from the inside out. It took 2 months of visiting nurses at home daily to help it heal. This was despite their giving me preventing antibiotics while recovering in the hospital. But my ob said that it was more because of the difficult labor than because of my sugar levels - I'd had preeclampsia, so I had a lot of fluid toward the end of pregnancy; I ended up with a fever during labor, and the baby was in some distress, when they switched from trying to do vaginal delivery to the C-section. My sugars had been excellent both before and during pregnancy (actually in the nondiabetic range for most of the pregnancy). I do think things could have been worse if my sugars had been higher, so keep up the effort there! I don't know how often this happens with diabetes, but I do know that other things can also cause poor healing after a C (I have a nondiabetic friend who went through it, too), and that obs should be prepared to handle it. I think the bottom line is, do your best, get as informed as you can, and tell your ob about your concerns. Congrats on making it this far, and good luck!

sarahspins
xMenace, why are c/s linked to retinopathy? I had never heard that before...?

If you have active retinopathy, labor/pushing can put too much strain on your eyes, making it worse... most advise avoiding it if possible.

RedRD

I had 2 c-sections with absolutely no issues. We were prepared for the possibility, but my doc was okay with not saying one way or the other. I went into premature labor w/both of mine (not r/t diabetes), did not dilate, & ended up w/2 sections. I had my staples removed before I left the hospital (4 day stay), and did fine. PM me if you have anymore specific or personal questions, I'll be happy to answer.

Congrats & Good Luck!

Keezheekoni

I've had 5 children, all vaginally. I'm pregnant with number 6 right now, and am planning either a home birth or an in-hospital water birth. :) None of my kids were over 7#5oz., though some were preemies due to other issues. My full term children were "normal" size for their gestational ages.

I've had T1 for 20 years now.

xMenace
If you have active retinopathy, labor/pushing can put too much strain on your eyes, making it worse... most advise avoiding it if possible.

I don't know what standard practices are. I have a friend who this is happening to right now, due in three weeks.

They may also want you to deliver early, around the 32-34 week mark.

Keezheekoni
They may also want you to deliver early, around the 32-34 week mark.

:eek: No! Not 32-34, that's way too early. Most T1s they'll start looking at inducing around 38 weeks, but that can vary by a week either direction, unless you have another problem like PIH. At 32-34 weeks most babies still won't have a suck reflex or have lung maturity.

If your bgs remain stable, they'll "let" you go to 40 weeks, but that's usually the cut off.

mcleanwick

I have had two successful c-sections. My bloodsugars were the best they have ever been during those pregnancies. I had type 1 for eighteen years with the first preg. and 28 years with the second. Both babies were big-- 11 pounds 3 ounces and 9 pounds 11 onces. The healing process went fine on both. No complications. Congratulations to you:)

andypoo

I've had two c-sections and healed up just fine,only thing was premature babies with a couple of health issues ,one with immature lungs and jaundice,the other with slight jaundice. Other than that healthy babies. Good Luck with your baby,he or she will be fine and healthy.

Taytesmommy

I have had 3 c-sections, my last one was 7 weeks ago! I have healed extremely well with all 3 and no infections or slow healing. I do know that my doctor does inject antibiotics along the incision line because I am a diabetic, and I don't believe that is a standard practice. I am already back to running, started last week and everything feels great! All of my boys (yes 3 boys) were born just slightly before full term, with sizes of #1-5lbs 3 oz, #2-6lbs, and #3- 5lbs 12 0z. ALl of them born with no complications, lung maturity issues or sucking problems. Don't fret about the possibility of a section...I've done it 3 times, all were scheduled and my A1c's are always fantastic during and after pregnancy, so that does help with the ability to heal the same as a non diabetic. Good luck with everything!! THey are such a blessing!

Taytesmommy

Just an addition to my post...I forgot to add that will all 3 of my sections I didn't have stitches or staples...just steri strips..and I swear that had something to do with how well I healed.

mmora

I had a c/section and healed very quickly...no problems but I was very scared...I would make my husband take me to the ER to have it checked so often that I was not allowed to go bk! Lol...but all is well and if your bloodsugars are in good control, u should be fine.

Sarmar7

I had a c-section (not related to Diabetes but due to prblems in labour) Jack was born at 38 weeks weighing in at 7lb14oz. I healed quickly with no probs. Good luck.

Mom of one
Hidden

Would you feel comfortable letting me know what plans you are preparing in order to have your at home birth, all going well? We had a wonderful hospital experience, (using the Mongan Hypnobirthing methods throughout labour) and are researching more about diabetics and home births, as I've always wanted one. The hospital is only 30 to 40 min's away from us and I have a sister who only lives about 20 min's away, if anything should arise that we would need to go. We are not pregnant yet, but want to get as much info as possible to present to our Doctor's and nurses at Chedoke McMaster, in Hamilton.

Mom of one
I've had 5 children, all vaginally. I'm pregnant with number 6 right now, and am planning either a home birth or an in-hospital water birth. :) None of my kids were over 7#5oz., though some were preemies due to other issues. My full term children were "normal" size for their gestational ages.

**Would you feel comfortable letting me know what plans you are preparing in order to have your at home birth, all going well? We had a wonderful hospital experience, (using the Mongan Hypnobirthing methods throughout labour) and are researching more about diabetics and home births, as I've always wanted one. The hospital is only 30 to 40 min's away from us and I have a sister who only lives about 20 min's away, if anything should arise that we would need to go. We are not pregnant yet, but want to get as much info as possible to present to our Doctor's and nurses at Chedoke McMaster, in Hamilton.

Mom of one
Hidden

Would you feel comfortable letting me know what plans you are preparing in order to have your at home birth, all going well? We had a wonderful hospital experience, (using the Mongan Hypnobirthing methods throughout labour) and are researching more about diabetics and home births, as I've always wanted one. The hospital is only 30 to 40 min's away from us and I have a sister who only lives about 20 min's away, if anything should arise that we would need to go. We are not pregnant yet, but want to get as much info as possible to present to our Doctor's and nurses at Chedoke McMaster, in Hamilton.

Cinnabon
One reason for a c-sec is retinopathy. If you are having eye issues and a risk of hemhoraging, it will most certainly be recommended you have it done.

Thanks Menace. Everyone knows my eye issue and thanks to my Jesus, my eyes have been good for quite some time. I agree with you and Retinopathy being one of the HUGE reasons for C-sections.

My first child was a C-section because of worrisome doctors, I had no eye issues t that tine and I had a lil girl (now 16!!!)with no problems and no infection.

Blood Sugar control is KEY!

ccryder19

I had a c-section at 35 weeks with twins and its been 3 weeks. So far no complications whatsoever. I think the key is good glucose control. I check my sugars up to 15 times a day-because I don't want anything to go wrong with my incision. Its hard but, worth the effort.

mmora

Hi, I had my son in 2003, I'd been diabetic for 18 yrs then and had a c-section at 34 wks because I got high blood pressure...I was terrified! After I got home, I was so paranoid that I would make my husband take me to the walk in clinic almost everyday to check the healing, luckily everything was fine and I healed with no complications. Everyone is different, my bloodsugars were perfect when pregnant and the beginning of it went great, no morning sickness at all, towards the end it got difficult (I gained 70 lbs) but all went well...try not to worry and good luck.

ghostb

there are way more succes stories than bad ones..so be optimistic..control your blood sugar and you should be ok...good luck :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.