Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jchops

Early Induction?

Jchops

I am Type II and 20 weeks, and my doctor just informed me that even though everything is going great with the pregnancy, it's standard procedure to induce between 39-40 weeks for diabetics. I was gestational with my first, went nine days late, had a 9lbs.7oz baby vaginal delivery without so much as a tear. I am VERY strongly opposed to induction. (If I weren't high risk, I'd be having this baby at home with a midwife.)

Has anyone else gone through a Type II pregnancy and been allowed to go past 40 weeks? Or know of any good sources for additional information, perhaps from midwives or non-US doctors, who seem to be more in-tune with the natural rhythms of childbirth and less quick to rush an induction or C-section.

genie86333

When I was pregnant with my first diabetic pregnancy, they weren't going to induce early unless there was a problem - they did non-stress tests all the time as I got close to being due. My next one they did a c-section early (I'd had 2 c-sections already) because my older daughter was >11 lbs at birth.

Jchops

Thank you. I've already been told I'll have to go in for non-stress tests twice a week for the last two months, and I'm fine with that. Heck, I'll go in every day if it will make them happy. I just don't understand the blanket decision to induce every diabetic mom, especially if the pregnancy is going just fine and shows no signs of complications.

Mommy2APickle

Hi! I am a Type II and my doctor has said he will induce me when I am 38 weeks if all goes well. But then again, I also have chronic hypertension, so maybe with the two combined is why they are inducing me early?

Keezheekoni

Early induction is the norm, however if you can find a perinatologist to get referred to they will "let" you go until 40 weeks exactly.

There is good reasoning behind induction in diabetics. The placenta starts to degrade about 3 weeks before a normal placenta will. Grr. Trust me, I hate inductions too.

Now, I'm planning on having an unassisted birth, as long as the baby is early. Otherwise I'll be induced in my 39th week and having a waterbirth at a local hospital. I have an OB who is very willing to work with my more crunchy methods. :)

Oh, and congratulations. :)

Jchops

Thanks for the information. I actually have great blood pressure- it's the one test I'm never at all worried about. But as for the placenta degrading, that sounds like a legitimate concern. I wish the doc had mentioned that, instead of just saying that he always induces at 39 weeks.

I'm still going to see what I can do to go into labor without induction...which will probably mean going in every day for a non-stress test, but worth it if I can avoid pitocin/epidural.

Mom of one

When I was pregnant with our first (and our only right now), I was induced just over 38 weeks. My diabetes throughout pregnancy was very tightly controlled with A1C's at 5.3's. My OB/GYN told me at the 2nd induction day (because I didn't take to the 1st one), that I could wait it out if I wanted. Because we were nervous about the placenta hardening, we went ahead with the 2nd gelling. We had a fabulous birth experience. Our team at the hospital was amazing!! We also had taken hypnobirthing classes, and we both felt (my husband and I) that that contributed a lot to our birthing journey! I did not have to have my water broken for me or be put on oxytocin, as my water broke on its own, and the surges (aka: contractions) were strong and our baby came well and fast

slipperyelm

If the placenta starts degrading (or hardening???) early, doesn't that tend to trigger labor anyway?

It just seems like so many people get induced these days. I had no idea diabetics were getting induced as a matter of policy---and early to boot!

mazea

This is something I am considering too. Our baby is due on the 30th October and the hospital told me it is standard to induce at 38 weeks.

I'm really opposed to the the idea for a few reasons. I've heard that inductions raise the chance of interventions and caesarians. I'm considering refusing induction until 40 weeks unless there is a problem. But the babies safety is my main concern so I'm also worried about going to 40 weeks. Some babies naturally go to 42 weeks and if they induce at 38 bub might not be properly baked.

lorilei

sorry..thought i had replied..with my third i was dx'd as gd but was actually 1 or 1.5 whatever you want to call it...on insulin with wacky bg...and high blood pressure...

i was on partial bed rest BUT the day before my due date i was still pushing to wait it all out...was placed on a three hour monitor of the baby and against the perinatologists direction, my ob let me go until my own target date which was to be three days later ( i was determined to have this baby on my grandmother's birthday..which i also share..april 1)...

i was given very strict instructions regarding bp and bg monitoring...and the baby came 9 water broke) on her own 1 hr after i was released from the hospital...

i understand your determination to hold on...just make sure the baby's health is in check...i was not at all worried about my own health...but as a mom i should have been.

btw, as u all know...my dtr is now two and what a blessing..looks and smarts if i do say so myself..:)

thesweetestlove

The way my doctor explained this to me is that as a type 2 diabetic you are at increased risk for still born. We had a very serious discussion about this and he was able to cite studies and explain that your risk of still born goes up exponentially each week over 38. Pretty scary stuff, but I was glad he took his time to carefully explain to me the reasons. I hope this helps :)

genie86333
If the placenta starts degrading (or hardening???) early, doesn't that tend to trigger labor anyway?

No, not necessarily. My mom lost a baby in the 60's because of this. She *never* went into labor. By the time the docs realized she really was pregnant (wierd situation - she kept telling them she was pregnant & they kept telling her she wasn't & diagnosed her with everything *but* pregnancy - a stomach bug, gas, an abdominal tumor, etc) my brother had been dead for 2 weeks & they had to do a c-section.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.