Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

carrienbo

High blood sugar & Baby Twins....

carrienbo

Hello,

My husband and I want to have a baby. He wants twins and I would just feel blessed to become pregnant without having a miscarriage. When I was in college I became pregnant yet I did not know I was prego and miscarried at 5 weeks. My A1C level has always been high, in the 9's sometimes even higher. I see the doctor alot and I have even been seen at Emery specialty clinic in Atlanta yet getting control has been (it seems) impossible. I am only 24 years old and I already have peripheral neuropathy as well. I would really love to get pregnant but I am extremely scared because of my health issues. I also have a heart condition called Neuro Cardio Genic Syncape (basically means my heart and brain aren't always in sync with each other). My husband talked to me about wanting to do artificial insemination to try and get prego with twins. I would feel so blessed to get prego with one healthy baby but inside my heart I would love to have twins. My husband spent time in prison and when he came home he changed a lot, became extremely religious and a true family man. I really don't want to disappoint him but I feel as if our odds are really low. I keep the mood upbeat and don't show how worried I am about having a baby, let alone twins. He always talks about the birth and how amazing it was with his first daughter. Either way he said if I don't or can't get prego we will figure a way and it's god's choice in the end. Any suggestions or help anyone can offer? He has even talked about getting someone to carry our baby for us so he is determinded, but honestly I want to go through the whole ordeal, being pregnant and child birth.....Help me please.

Care

ccryder19

Hi there, I responded to you on the other post under living with diabetes. I just read this and would like to add: Firstly, I would honestly recommend getting your A1c down a bit before getting pregnant since high blood sugar causes a lot of problems to the you and the baby. Pregnancy stresses the body out and if you already have neuropathy you want to take extra care of yourself. A twin pregnancy is even tougher on the body and I would not try for it on purpose. I got pregnant with twins naturally and it has been the hardest time of my life in terms of dealing with the diabetes. The first 4 months I had super bad morning sickness. (It's hard to take care of blood sugars when throwing up all the time.) Then by the time I was 5 months I was huge and already dealing with a lot of pain in my legs and feet from all the extra pressure and circulation going on in the body and I don't even have neuropathy. I had my eyes checked a month before I got pregnant and everything look fine. Now at 33 weeks pregnant I have some diabetic retinopathy beginning in my eyes. I use 4 times the amount of insulin than I did before getting pregnant because the two placentas are absorbing a lot of the insulin. This also makes it much harder to control blood sugars. Not to mention I'm hungry all the time and am therefore giving insulin shots left and right and checking glucose about 12 times a day. You owe it to yourself and your future baby to first take care of your health and get the diabetes well under control. Pregnancy added to diabetes under good control is very challenging and I don't want to imagine how hard it would be under not so good control. How come you say getting the diabetes under control is seemingly impossible? Just curious. Remember, first things first, you healthy, then a healthy baby. I'll be praying for you :) Let us know if you have any other questions.

margamac

Hi there!

I empathize what you are feeling and going through! I have had type 1 diabetes for 22 years and I just got married to my husband in June of last year. I have had a hard time controlling my diabetes my whole life! Every little thing effects my blood sugars making them go high and low. It takes a lot for me to keep my blood sugars on target! My husband and I are wanting to start a family as well. It is so important to get yourself in control before you get pregnant! Not only your blood sugars, but since you have had some complications already, make sure your eyes are stable before you get pregnant as well. Your husband had said something along the lines of it being in God's hands...that is true...take what he gives to you and let it happen the way it happens...if you are meant to have twins, God will give them to you naturally. Take care of yourself and good luck!!!:)

mmora

Hello, it is very difficult to be pregnant and diabetic, I've been diabetic for 24 yrs (since age 10) and it took me 5 yrs to become pregnant. I was put on the insulin pump b4 to regulate my bloodsugars and it helped tremendously! My bloodsugars were always high and the pump has changed everything for the best. I was put on bedrest at 6 months because I had highblood pressure, gained 70 lbs, and was enduced 6 wks early because of it, I had a c-section (which is also a reason to b in good control so u can heal quicker) and delivered a healthy 5lb 13 oz boy...You need to be in better control before you get pregnant though because it wont be just your health but also the health of your baby...think about it and good luck, keep us posted.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.