Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

notme

Low Carb Daily Diet.....

notme

Today I am having lunch at a friends house. I offered to make a salad, just in case there are a lot of carbs served and nothing to eat! :eek: I didn't want to start making statements to her like. Oh, I am vegetarian ( I did say that) and oh by the way, I don't eat carbs either. :stupid:

Some days this diet is tough.......

foxl
Today I am having lunch at a friends house. I offered to make a salad, just in case there are a lot of carbs served and nothing to eat! :eek: I didn't want to start making statements to her like. Oh, I am vegetarian ( I did say that) and oh by the way, I don't eat carbs either. :stupid:

Some days this diet is tough.......

TOO TRUE! I am very frank and usually end up either bringing my own food or making a potluck dish that will cover ALL my meal needs, just in case ...

kgm0612

Nancy............quick question............

When I come out to visit for the wedding in Aug/Sept....... am I gonna have to eat vegetarian? Will Marty be grilling his famous Tri-tip that I love so much? Or will Tim be taking me to In & Out burger for dinner? LOL

((HUG))

notme
Nancy............quick question............

When I come out to visit for the wedding in Aug/Sept....... am I gonna have to eat vegetarian? Will Marty be grilling his famous Tri-tip that I love so much? Or will Tim be taking me to In & Out burger for dinner? LOL

((HUG))

I will give you and Tim the keys to the car.... ;) :T

Oh, you know I will cook it for you. Just won't eat the poor little thing.

foxl

Oh, you know I will cook it for you. Just won't eat the poor little thing.

You do that, too? I amde a birthday dinner for my Dad, once, a morrocan Tagine with beef.

I also make "carcass soup" if DH roasts a chicken or other bird! Without tasting! He swears by those soups.

notme
You do that, too? I amde a birthday dinner for my Dad, once, a morrocan Tagine with beef.

I also make "carcass soup" if DH roasts a chicken or other bird! Without tasting! He swears by those soups.

Hehehehe......yes Linda,

If they want to rip the flesh from a poor dead cow with their teeth, I will supply it for them (reluctantly). :rofl:

Karen doesn't eat fish and Tim eats anything. I think I will be loaning my car out often!

cyberus

Guess I'll get off the pot and post.

These presume normal blood glucose test numbers, if I happen to be high or low I adjust more/less.

*Breakfast: 3 eggs cooked w/lard and 1 slice low carb (6g) toast with Land o Lakes spreadable butter

*Work days: I nosh on whatever meat and cheese comes to hand at the restaurant, turkey, bacon, sausage, roast beast most commonly with the side nibble of leaf lettuce and broccoli as I feel the need.

*After work: Feed the meter, if I need a snack (RARE) I usually just have some cottage cheese.

*Off work days: Depends on what my meter says and if I feel like cooking anything. Burger patty with cheese and some cottage cheese or maybe some fried cabbage and spam. Or maybe I'll just open a can of turnip greens, or a can of tuna. Off work days food=fuel

Bedtime snack: Feed the meter, SF jello, cottage cheese, peanut butter ("natural" style no added stuff) on 1/2 low carb pita are common.

kgm0612

I do too eat fish! I like baked or broiled fish with a little bit of bread crumbs on top! I also like shrimp!

I will have to cook for you!

Karen

Da Dog

If they want to rip the flesh from a poor dead cow with their teeth".. I resemble that!.. steak knife please!.. besides!.. if God hadn't meant for us to eat meat, why'd he make "Steak Knives"?

Jan B
I do too eat fish! I like baked or broiled fish with a little bit of bread crumbs on top! I also like shrimp!

I will have to cook for you!

Karen

Try some blackened red snapper (or other fish) cooked in a big iron skillet (olive or lemon oil) on the outdoor grill. Wrap some sliced summer vegetables (red peppers, mushrooms, onions, asparagus, squash) in foil w/butter, spices, and toss on grill.

Fresh strawberries and cold cream for dessert.

princesslinda

Fresh strawberries and cold cream for dessert.

Ms. Jan, I prefer my strawberries w/o the cold cream!;) :T

notme
Ms. Jan, I prefer my strawberries w/o the cold cream!;) :T

LOL me too!!!!!! Now why go and ruin a perfectly good strawberry like that Jan! :D

Ok. I am frustrated. Ate my same breakfast and 181 today. What the heck?? :confused:

foxl
LOL me too!!!!!! Now why go and ruin a perfectly good strawberry like that Jan! :D

Ok. I am frustrated. Ate my same breakfast and 181 today. What the heck?? :confused:

Still the yogurt and splenda? WEIRD!

It mightn't be your test strips?

notme
Nano!.. I think my posts make you go high.. am I high carb?

No Dear......that is high maintenance.

No Splenda today Linda. Just berries and yogurt. I am perplexed.

soso

Nancy,

I ate a particular type of bread which is fairly low carb for about a year.. usually had it at lunchtime..always weighed it to count the carbs..no problems and then about 3 weeks ago, it just started spiking me big time.. a few experiments proved it was the bread. It is always possible that they change the recipes on foods, but very upsetting when we have to give up yet one more thing...

I often make my own yogurt, then I know what's in it.

notme

How do you make your own yogurt?

This is just a plain Mediterranean style yogurt. Nothing in it but Grade A Pasteurized Milk, Live Active Yogurt Cultures (L. Bulgaricus, S. Thermophilus).

I add six blackberries and about six blueberries.

soso

Well I have a yogurt maker called the Yogourmet (google it lots on ebay)

it is actually made in Quebec...

It is fantastic.... it is a 2 L container that sits inside another plug in bit that has a bit of water in... So

You bring your milk product to the boil ( I use half whipping and half light cream, but you can use any type of milk) it comes with a special clip on thermometer so it doesn't quite boil, but just has to go over a certain temp... then you let it cool to the specified range.. the thermometer has this area in green so easy to see when it gets there...I place the pan in a few inches of water in the sink...

I put any flavourings like splenda or vanilla right in the milk.. you could use coffee or any sugarfree syrup if you wanted as well.. but I think just a tiny bit of splenda to combat any acidity is best.

When it reaches the right temp, you either mix in a starter powder, or a cup or less of live yogurt and then place the container in the warmer.. the lid seals really tightly so it is easy...

Now, it is done in a few hours..however, I leave mine 12 hours as then most of the Lactose is gobbled up by the wotsits and Voila.. nice low carb delicious yogurt.. so I usually put mine on in the evening and just lift it out and put it in the fridge in the morning.. it needs 8 hrs in the fridge to firm up and I defy anyone to taste a better yogurt!

That's why my Jack Russell is a giant.. I brought her up on it...

Darn sight cheaper as well, once the thing is paid for.. (though not outrageously expensive anyway)

Main prob with store bought is you can't trust that no one thinks to add something.. it seems a bit conspiracy theory but we all seem to have these experiences...

and sorry for the manuscript, but you can make this yog the same way with mason jars, a cheap styrofoam cooler and pack it out with towels.. that works too...just under boiling and down to lukewarm before adding starter

ShottleBop

Lunch at my desk, today: Portuguese sardines in lemon-flavored olive oil, a packet of almonds, a half-square of baker's chocolate, and two glasses of unsweetened vanilla Almond Breeze. Just before lunch, I was at 101; I got busy and didn't test until nearly 4 p.m., when I was 97.

Snack, at 7:19 (BG was 95): a packet of walnuts. An hour and a half later, just before dinner: 99. I stopped at a favorite Mexican food takeout spot for carne asada salad. I threw some chili paste on top of that, and had a couple of slices of Swiss cheese, a half-square of baker's chocolate, and a sugar-free Jello for dessert.

ShottleBop

Took the train up to LA today for a meeting. Breakfast at 5 a.m.: Atkins shake, hard-boiled egg, and (to test) a packet of almonds. Total carbs: 11, 6 of them fiber. FBG was 94, and 75-min. PP was 95. At 7:45, however, nearly 3 hours PP, BG was 120. Almonds are definitely out for breakfast.

For lunch, I went with a couple of friends to the farmer's market on South Figueroa St. I bought a chicken gyros (from which I ate the meat) and a barbecued bratwurst with onions and peppers. I didn't eat the bun. The gyros came with a tiny cucumber and tomato salad; I ate the cukes. Before lunch BG was 109 (still a hangover from the "carby" breakfast); two-hour BG was 117.

At 3:35, I left for my meeting. BG was 104. At the meeting, I had a couple of slices of turkey breast, two pickles, two slices of cheddar, some alfalfa sprouts, and two slices of another cheese.

And two glasses of wine. After the meeting, but before the dinner presentation, I had an ounce of gin on the rocks. At 6:46, before dinner, BG was 82. Dinner was supposed to be fish; they served me chicken by mistake. I scraped off the breading (which took the skin, too), and ate the chicken and steamed veggies. Left the potatoes; didn't eat the roll; ate the salad, but not the candied pears or pecans that came with it. Added a can of smoked herring from the stash of low-carb food I carry with me. Asked them for fresh berries instead of the tart for dessert.

Two-hour PP was 83. Four hours after dinner, BG was 84. That was half an hour ago; I'm on the train home, and should be in bed by 1:30. It's a long day.

kgm0612

Thursday's meals:

Breakfast: Dannon Light & Fit Low Caarb Yogurt (3g) & coffee with light cream & Equal.

127 prior and 68 two hours later.

Mid Morning Snack: 1/2 of a med. pear......very rare for me but at 68 I needed something to hold me over until lunch.

Lunch: Small piece of steak & sweet potatoe left over from dinner the night before. (25g)

74 prior and 91 two hours later

Dinner: Nacho's with cheese, lettuce, olives, sour cream & salsa, along with a handful of sweet potatoe french fries, and an appetizer platter (friend calamari, baked pot. skins, stuffed mushrooms, friend mozzarella sticks). Met my girlfriends for drinks (Jack & diet for me) after work so we all split the above. I counted what I ate as 45g of carbs.

73 prior and 116 two hours later.

Karen

foxl
Took the train up to LA today for a meeting. Breakfast at 5 a.m.: Atkins shake, hard-boiled egg, and (to test) a packet of almonds. Total carbs: 11, 6 of them fiber. FBG was 94, and 75-min. PP was 95. At 7:45, however, nearly 3 hours PP, BG was 120. Almonds are definitely out for breakfast.

QUOTE]

BUMMER -- How many oz of almonds was in the package? I LOVE almonds, they are a new staple food for me! I eat them one oz at a time though ... and plain, or else flavored myself.

Meeting food sounds terribly carby and ignorant. UGH.

ShottleBop

QUOTE]

BUMMER -- How many oz of almonds was in the package? I LOVE almonds, they are a new staple food for me! I eat them one oz at a time though ... and plain, or else flavored myself.

Meeting food sounds terribly carby and ignorant. UGH.

One and a quarter ounces. (Trader Joe's "Just a Handful" of almonds.) And it's a breakfast thing: if I'm hungry at 10 a.m. or 4 p.m., the packet of almonds doesn't spike me at all--and can keep me from going higher if it's been so long since my last meal that I'm getting a liver dump. I keep the almonds and the "Just a Handful" of walnut halves and pieces around generally.

Not all meeting food is bad; the cold cuts, cheeses, and condiments at the board meeting were very good--I just made a wrap using slices of cheese. The dinners vary. We get a choice of fish, chicken or vegetarian--or a fruit plate; I usually order the fish. The veggie plate and fruit plate are too carby, and the fruit plate is seriously deficient in protein. The fish and chicken are exactly alike, except for the protein, which is how I got the chicken by mistake last night--the breading disguised it. But it's not always breaded; often it's just grilled with a sauce that is easily scraped off to avoid any sugar that might be in it.

But, hey, look at my readings all yesterday afternoon and through to this morning:

6:46 p.m. (before dinner, but two hours after my first bite at the board meeting, at which I ate the equivalent of a roast turkey sandwich, except for the bread, and a couple of extra good-sized wedges of cheese): 82

8:39 p.m. (an hour and a half after my first bite at dinner): 83

10:44 p.m.: 84

1:23 a.m. (bedtime): 86

5:50 a.m.: 82

6:58 a.m. (FBG): 84

My best guess for the reason: the two glasses of red wine I had at the board meeting, the gin on the rocks I had at the pre-dinner reception, and the last glass of red wine I had with dinner. Alcohol inhibits production of glucose by the liver (albeit at the expense of higher triglycerides); I'm wondering if I should ask my doctor about trying out metformin, which also inhibits production of glucose by the liver. My PCP is happy with my current A1C (actually, she's happy with anything under 6), and has never suggested it, and reports by others of the side effects they get have kept me from asking--but could metformin help me maintain blood sugars in the mid-80s? Might be worth considering.