Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mazea

Were you able to go to 40 weeks without induction?

mazea

I was wondering how many diabetics(Type 1) were allowed by their ob to go through to 40 weeks full term for their pregnancies and how many had to have an induction at 38 weeks? I had my pre-admission at the anenatal clinic at the hospital on Friday and the midwife told me was inductions were usually done at 38 weeks just because you are diabetic. I don't want to have an induction until 40 weeks if everything with bub is ok and my HBAC1 is low.

sarahspins

40 weeks is fine if you're monitored closely (I'd want a BPP including an NST twice a week past 38 weeks).

I went into labor on my own with my last (baby #3) at 39w1d.. had a scary short 2 hour labor with him.. almost didn't make it to the hospital and arrived at 9cm :)

Not that it's reassuring at all, but I don't personally rate my natural labor (I had no drugs at all with him - not an option that late in the game) as any better/worse than my previous two inductions by AROM with some supplemental pitocin (only for the first half or so of my labors.. once my body took off, they stopped it). If anything, my spontaneous was scarier since it went so quickly... and my inductions were all of 4 and 5 hours, so they weren't exactly lengthy either.

I had no problems delivering any of mine, in fact my last, who was the biggest at 9lbs 5oz was the easiest of the 3 - but that may just have been because he was my third :) He was over a pound bigger than my first two though.

My inductions were at 39w wit my first (didn't know any better to ask to go longer, I was SO ready to be done at that point) and then 38w5d with my second. She was actually scheduled for the week after but moved up because my BPP's showed some signs she wasn't doing so great. She was born with TWO knots in her cord, so I'm glad she got out when she did (and did so safely - some cord knots can tighten during labor/delivery, but we didn't know they were there until after she was out), even though I realized the "issues" we had been seeing were more likely related to that than me being diabetic.. no regrets with her :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.