Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jenny

Actos

Jenny

Does anyone here use Actos? My doc prescribed some for me and I was wodnering if it is a bad med?

Jenny:confused:

Jenny

Harold:

I have been tkaing it for about a month......

then I heard it could cause liver probs...so I am thinking of stopping it for awhile and just trying exercise and diet....

Harold

No need to quit taking it, just make sure your doctor checks your liver enzymes when you go back in and have blood taken for lab test. Ask for a copy of your labs and check the ALT and AST levels to see that they are in or near the normal levels for that lab.. I take Avandia which is also in the same drug group and that's what I do . So far no problems with it even though I do have a liver desease, my other terminal desease. It also takes about a month to notice the affect on your blood sugars. You should also be having these blood test run every three or four months while on this drug.

claire125

I am a new member and this is my first post. I have just started taking Actos (on my third week) to see how I do on it. I have a question about alcohol. Is is harmful to have one or two drinks a week or some wine with meals now and then? I will check it out with my doctor when I go in for a blood test at the end of the month. Thanks for any information you might have.

Harold

Depends on if your type 1 or 2. Taking insulin or not, or what meds your taking, some meds should not be mixed with alcohol. What kind of alcohol your drinking as to the effect. After those issues have been resolved as a general rule yes. Do your homework first and you should be okay, get your Doctor's opinion but keep in mind he has a lot of patients and gets them mixed up sometimes. Happens to all Doc's sometime or another so do your homework.

claire125

Thanks for your post, Harold. I have type 2 diabetes, am not on insulin, and I was running on a glucose average of 145 fasting, so the doc thought I should try out actos for a month or so. I am getting lower readings already. I can certainly live without alcohol, but I do enjoy a drink now and then to be sociable.

I think I can trust the doc's opinion. I've been going to him for about 20 years and he knows all my different ailments, surgeries and meds.

Harold

Since your not taking insulin you have a little more latitude. Beer make bg's go up, lot's of carbs in beer. Other drinks lowers bg's, but remember this is a general rule and you will need to monitor to find out how it affects you. What I mean my doing your home work is look things up for yourself. Here's an easy site, just type in your drug in the search box and hit go. You might notice it mentions liver diease and alcohol acts on the liver. Your choice.

http://www.fda.gov/cder/drug/default.htm

claire125

Thanks a lot for your message. I will see my doctor in about another week and will check with him. I haven't had any alcohol since I started a couple of weeks ago. My daily glucose readings

(fasting) are now in the 120s and 30s, so it is having an effect. He did a liver checkup before he started me on actos and it was okay. I'll let you know what he says about alcohol consumption if you are interested.

Thanks again.

claire125

Hello Harold,

Just got back from the doctor's office. He says that having an occasional drink is okay providing it doesn't have sugar in it.

That lets out margaritas and lets in bloody mary's and dry wine.

I guess this issue is settled now.

Harold

Hi Claire,

Just went to the Doc today myself. Make sure you get copies of your lab reports and look for AST (SGOT) and ALT (SGPT), those are the liver enzymes and give an indication of liver function. My Doc hands me the Lab request to take to the Lab and I always for SMACK+ to be circled. That's the AST/ALT and lipids, and lipids are what makes up cholesterol. I had to give up margaritas about a decade ago because it caused my enzyme count to go over 200, below 40 is normal. Now I stick to Canadian whiskey and usuall stay around 50.

georgi*

picture a large closed circle and in the middle of that circle is a smaller round circle. you want to put a dot in the middle of the small circle but you cannot reach the smaller circle because all the lines are cosed.

what actos does, is it makes the outer circle weak so that the eraser and pencil can get to the smaller circle and put a small dot in the middle of the small circle. maybe i didn't say it to well. it helps the medicine to get to the problem so that it can start to work better. no side affects with actos. some times it needs to be increased or decreased depending on your blood sugars.

georgi*

:P hi jenny. glad i could be of help. not often does that happen! i see things in my mind and not sure i get it on paper the way i am seeing it.

so how are you doing? you don't have to reply if you don't want.

i find this board very difficult to use. so i don't go on it that much. i post a lot on one that just says diabetes. lots of interesting things found out. easy to use and fast.:D

i best go have to call the plumber. talk at you later.

georgi*

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.