Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jojokittie

Doomed pregnancy?

Cloudedbrains

I have had several miscarriages all at various stages but all happened before I was even diagnosed with diabetes (but I had other serious health problems).

Every miscarriage brings heartbreak but every new life brings joy too.

Enjoy being pregnant hun and you can only do your best :)

Candace

I am 19 yrs old, i've been type 1 diabetic for 3 years, i do not have children nor am i pregnant. I just wanted to find somewhere to talk to diabetics who have had or are having babies. I have so many questions and i need a little reassuring. I get very discouraged thinking i will never have a healthy baby or even be able to get pregnant, because i've never been told different, no one in my family is diabetic! My worries are basically im afraid if my sugars arent perfect my baby will be born unhealthy or i will lost him/her. Im also worried about my baby becoming diabetic early or later in life. I have been told by my doctor its hard for diabetics to get pregnant even if there BG is under controll..is that true?? I know this is long, but i reall really need some positive things about being diabetic and pregnant, and just what to kinda expect. When i was first diagnosed the doctor told me i would never have kids and that broke my heart. Im not planning on having kids for a few years, but i need to prepare myself, please give me all the info anyone has!! =) thank you!!

Morris "Type 1"

@Candace

I can't say a lot but I know that I have seen posts here by diabetic women who have had children, it would seem to me that there is no logical reason for it to cripple your chances at motherhood.

I think part of the problem is a lot of people don't take care of themselves, especially as diabetics, so maybe there are complications that arise similarly along the lines of the blindness, amputations, etc that we are threatened with down the line if we aren't careful. So maybe the doctor has seen people who are in the worse kinds of states and just assumes that one size fits all.. I don't know.

One of the things I do is hypnosis, the subject of hypnosis and doctors come up from time to time, basically a doctor is a hypnotist by virtue of their position and the level of trust people give them. For many people what happens is the part of the brain that says, "NO WAY!", to anything undesirable becomes suspended or switched off and somehow whatever the doctor says appears to be the gospel truth. So much so that the patient ends up taking on that information as a belief, it becomes a part of them. You have seen how much fear the doctor has instilled into you, this is the problem, generally speaking most so called professionals are not experts. If we have no one else to turn to, we accept what they say, give in and just proceed according to their plan. Often times this can be bad..

People make judgement mistakes regularly, it just so happens in their case it ruins lives.

As far as I can tell you will have minimal intrusion from the diabetes.

Candace

Thanks so much for your advice! Im just so confused, because when i was first diagnosed the doctor told me i'd never have children, pretty much killed every dream i ever had about having a family. Than i got transfered to another hospital and they told me basically that doctor was a liar because it wasnt true. Its just hard to believe doctors when they arent diabetic or diabetic and pregnant. Thats why i came here because most everyone is diabetic and is either currently pregnant or has been. I just needed to be reassured that it can be done with no complications. One thing they did tell me was it's likly that i will be on lots of bed rest, and working very little when i am pregnant. I need to get all my facts straight lol.

RedRD

I've been a diabetic for 23+ years, have 2 healthy children 6 1/2, 4 years - and the pregnancies were stressful, but ended w/no problems. My BG levels were a tad high the first trimester, and I'd freak out on occasion. I tested about 50 times a day, it seemed like. I think it made it worse...obsessing. But, I did have 2 healthy babies!!

Hang in there - sounds like you are doing well!

cynthiazinn

Hi. I am 24 type 1 as well. I have been pregnant 2x since age 19 and I can assure you that both of my pregnancies went very well. I have a wonderful healthy son and a beautiful little girl. I think that being pregnant gave me even more motivation to take care of myself, it's like you are doing it for someone else. I would say don't be so strict on your diet. Eat what you like during this short time. Just make sure that you are extremely accurate about counting your carbs and injecting the proper amount of insulin. This is really the key to keeping those sugars down and having a healthy baby. If you are a bit high, like you say 130's, try drinking a full glass of water and taking a stroll around the block, worked for me every time. The worst problem I had was after the birth my children both had blood sugar crashes. I would love to chat with you more! Besides being a diabetic mom I am also a nurse. Hope I can help.

Candace

You did. I LOVE to hear about diabetic women having healthy babies because it gives me more confidence that i'll be ok. I absolutley love sweets, i try to limit myself as much as possible, which is probably one candy bar a week, or something. Im not sure what type of diet to have when im pregnant, i definitely dont want to eat sweets, because im afraid something will happen if im too high. But i also know that healthy carbs is something i'll have to have. I think my main problem is that i've been told nothing but negative things about being diabetic for 3 years. All the bad stuff that can happen if you dont take care of it, and i understand thats something we all need to know. But the Doctor that diagnosed me said i would never eat candy again, never have children and i would have to quit the dance team i'd been on for 3 years. NONE of that stuff turned out to be true.

Keezheekoni

I've been a T1 for 20 years now and have six, count 'em SIX, lovely, healthy children! :)

My oldest is 19 and my youngest is 3 weeks. All but the last pregnancy I delivered vaginally, with no pain meds. The last one was tangled severely in his cord and there was no moving him down, so I opted for the almost-emergency c-section. He's healthy and breastfeeds great!

JLSau

I was reading your posts and became very interested because I am feeling the same way you are right now. I, too, was pregnant and lost the baby (however, my loss was at 18 weeks). I am now 11 weeks and extremely nervous.

I just wanted to let you know that there are people who feel confused and concerned just like you do. I too can have the best meal and have a crazy sugar reading and other times I can eat something a nutritionist would snatch away, but my levels be amazing. But, I worry, too that the same thing that happened to me during my first pregnancy will happen this time. Maybe we can both keep each other focused on the positive side of being pregnant :)

knorris

I lost a baby pre-diabetes and many years ago. I can say that I was aprehensive and frightened until the amount of time had passed on my 3rd pregnancy. So the fear and worry can come from having lost a baby previously. Then add diabetes and the uncertaintys there too. I will be praying for you both

Karen

krysnsho

Ok, I have a lil girl, 6yrs old. When I got pregnant with her I wasn't in the best control, a1c was around 8. She was born 5 weeks early and weighed 8lbs, she had jaudice but other than that she's been healthy. In june I found out I am preg again, two days after finding out I got the results to may's a1c (12.4)! I had the first trimester scan done at 11 weeks, the results were fine. I am now 18 weeks and still hanging in there. I just got my newest a1c it is now 6.1 (I've been workin hard). Anyhow my advice is that there is a plan for everything, do the best you can and that is all u can do. You will regret it if you spend the whole preg just worrying. I need to follow that advice myself to be honest. While the numbers are very important, they don't define the pregnancy. Keep your head up and try to focus on the positive. You will be fine

Mich

Hi Jojo,

Relax. Breathe deeply and think good thoughts. Move forward. Just believe that things will be ok. I started out just like you both times and I have two healthy daughters. One was born before we had meters. We were doing our best, but just guessing. The second was born a year after I got my first meter.

Both were big babies. The one who is petite now was the bigger baby, the one who was a post basketball player weighted less than her sister. Both were C sections and delivered early because the doctors preferred it then.

I ate healthy stuff, tended toward low carb but did not limit fats because they help the baby's brain grow. I remained calm whenever possible, avoided coffee and chemicals like nail polish remover and such. I took vitamins including folic acid. Ask your Doctor and then check out his advice on the internet.

Enjoy your pregnancy, sing to your baby (and have daddy do it too) and trust that it will all work out.

Congratulations,

Mich

mma2charlie

i am 27 weeks pregnant and experiencing the same problems—totally inconsistent readings and insulin boluses that don't seem to take any effect! my blood sugars are great til about 2pm, when either my lunches (which i try to limit to low carb and even over-bolus!) or my pregnancy hormones make them skyrocket and stay there. i've never been so frustrated! my a1c is okay according to the charts, but the high blood sugars (200-240) that last for up to 4 hours sometimes really irritate the sh*t out of me. all i can do is bolus again and again, or sometimes take a shot in addition to the pump bolus. miraculously enough it works most of the time, and i don't get a crazy low from the stacked insulin. if you try it, just monitor your sugar levels every 30 min. another tip my endo gave me is no matter what your sugar level is, you should wait at LEAST 30 minutes between bolus and eating. i use Novolog and thought that all i needed was 15 minutes for it to take effect. WRONG. after wearing a continuous glucose monitoring sensor i could see very clearly that my levels didn't significantly start dropping til at least 30 min after bolusing. ALSO, make sure you wait til your blood sugar is below 100 before eating. both of these factors are key in keeping levels in the normal range 1-2 hours after eating. here's why: if you chart out where insulin (Novolog being used as example here) hits its peak, it'll be about 2 hours after bolus. food is pretty much digested (sugar-wise) 1 hour after you eat it...SO, if you eat immediately after your bolus, your food/sugar will peak 1 hour later, but your insulin is still ramping up. The curves/peaks won't match and you'll end up with a high after eating. make sense? it really opened my eyes to better control, and i've had type 1 for over 10 years! so much for product labeling telling you that insulin takes effect in 15 min (again, using novolog as an example). and for context, i am not an overweight person. i exercise, eat healthily and watch my carb/sugar intake. but back to being pregnant...it's def getting harder every day to keep sugars completely normal. i'm just hoping that all my docs approving of my a1c level means something in the end. my little boy is not growing at an abnormal rate (he's in the 45th percentile for fetal development) and all organs have formed correctly (as far as they can see).

ultimately, we're doing what we can!! good luck!

Katrina Stovold

Im telling you! Its hard!! No day is ever perfect sugar readings, some good, some high, some low!Very sad and frustrating and stressful! Im worry alot!!! im only 7 weeks preg and struggle with it ev day!! xx

notti426

Wow, maybe you need to go on a pump? That is so many pokes for you! Tell all of your friends and family that until they live with it, they cannot comment negatively to you! My pregnancy has been with the awful LOWS, not so much the highs. But because our own chemistry is so different, so is our bodies responses to pregnancy. I totally understand your anxiety about this pregnancy. As diabetics we are more susceptible to them. I was afraid as well to get attached to my pregnancy. I am now 15+5 weeks and while I am definitely more attached to it, I am still afraid of losing this baby. I wish you the best and good luck to you!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.