Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lisragdoll

8 weeks pregnant

lisragdoll

I just found out that I am 8 weeks pregnant. This pregnancy was not planned. I am 26 yrs of age and have only had diabetes for 3 yrs. My A1C is 9%. I really want to keep this baby, but i am scared that my blood sugar control is too out of control. Do i have time to get quick control of it? Any advice from anyone??? I also hear such scarry things about being pregnant with diabetes... Is it all true? Any words:confused:

Jojokittie

OMG we are in the same boat. They only difference is that you are 2 years older than me. I'm so excited there is someone like me out there!!! If you want someone to talk to please dont hesitate. I bet we have alot of the same fears. My latest post is "Doomed Pregnancy?"

sarahspins

I was diagnosed shortly into my first pregnancy... your child is at a higher risk for congenital problems when your BG is uncontrolled during conception and early pregnancy, but really don't let that scare you too much - odds really are still good that everything will be fine, but it's important to get prenatal care ASAP and to get your blood sugars under control as quickly as possible.

Pregnancy as a T1 is challenging, but it's by no means impossible. None of my pregnancies were planned and my babies were all fine...

Keezheekoni

Do not stress about your A1c being high now... :) Several of us went through pregnancies in the 80s and earlier when there weren't insulins like we have now that allow for greater control.

The biggest thing that you want to be aware of is that your higher sugars can cause the baby to have thicker heart walls, so definitely ask your OB/perinatologist to run fetal echocardiograms at 20 weeks and again at 32 weeks to check on the walls. It's something that can be fixed with medication during the pregnancy. :)

During the final month of pregnancy you'll also want to be in good control so that the baby doesn't have any sugar issues after birth. If they go too low and you plan on breastfeeding, the hospital is going to want to give the baby formula to bring their sugar level back up...try to get them to not feed formula if at all possible, but it's made for a reason. :T

Be aware also that it can take a diabetic mom extra time for her milk to come in, so don't think that you're not making any after a few days. Trust me, it'll come in!

Congrats to both of you! I'm NAK (nursing at the keyboard) right now...my two-week old is perfectly healthy!

jusrelaxin

Im in the same boat as both of you also and am only 22!

I have been doing my best to keep my blood sugar between 4-7 through the day and 7-9 before i go to bed..my insulin needs have dropped a bit..but not too much..I go for my first ultrasound in a couple weeks or so...

This might sound stupid...but how critical is it to get prenatal care (as a diabetic) asap? what is it they are really going to do? Ive started my vitamins and gotten some blood work done..but havent dealt with the diabetes side yet...

any help/advice is much appreciated!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.