Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sicksage

Pumps vs. Injections

sicksage

I recently went back onto shots after an unsuccessful attempt at using a pump (Minimed 508). I had the assumption that the pump would do all the work for me... I was wrong. My hBa1c is currently in the low 10's and I;m trying very hard to get it down. I think that once I'm in better control I might try the pump again.

I think it would be cool to have a discussion about the pros and cons of both shots and pumps, and little tangents are ok. :)

Also, I will give any advice I can... although I didn't do well on the pump I know quite a bit about it. Also, I'm on Lantus and Novolin and on a strict carb counting plan.

Let's get this going! :)

Tony

Welcome to the fourms!

So you was on the pump? Why did you go back to the shots? What didn't you like about the pump?

Well I'm on the pump(508). And I will never go back to shots, I can't do it. Can never go back. Unless the dr. takes it back then I would have no choice. My a1c in march was a 10. I'm due for that test any day now.

I like the pump better than

4 to 6 shots a day

all the poking

eating out is not easy with shots.

sicksage

When I switched back to shots, I was actually the one who decided to do it. I remember towards the end the only insulin I got was from my programmed basal. I don't know why, but I just didn't bolus, maybe I thought I didn't need to. Anyway, I was in and out of the hospital and felt terrible, so I switched to shots.

Taking injections again is hard, but there is something satisfying about writing an in-range number in my log book (another thing I never used to use). It's strangely empowering being able to make the choice to be in better health, ya know?

How long have you been on the pump and why did you decide to try it?

Tony

That's interesting. No one told you how to use the pump, or to bolus? Do you still have the pump?

I will be on the pump 3 years this August.

I decided on the pump, I thought I would have great control with no problem. Have more freedom than I did with shots. I like those type of toys. It's a toy for Diabetics.Ha..

I have the one touch ultra smart, trying to use all of its features.

It's strangely empowering being able to make the choice to be in better health, ya know?
But it is hard to keep up on.

Gina

i have a LOVE/HATE relationship with my pump....

there are days that i really really want to throw the damn thing out the window but then there are days that im like i dont think i can live without this thing....

honestly at least once a week i want to go back on shots because i am sick of being connected to it and sometimes i feel that it makes me eat more things then i should be eating, which led to gaining weight and now i am going crazy because im getting fat, but thats another issue,

the pump definatly is for people that have excellent self control and know how to carbohydrate count, i went on the pump very fast ....i was diagnosed with diabetes in november 2000 then in november 2001 to the day of diagnosis i started pump therapy...i wanted to go on the pump so bad, but the bad thing for me was i dont think that i was ready for the pump when i first started because i was so new to being diabetic.....i still am having problems getting this thing to be perfect....this gets me back to the love/hate thing

when i was on shots i had perfect control my a1c was never over 6.5 now my last a1c was 9 my highest since ive been diagnosed, when this happens i just want to go back on shots because i was doing so much better and never ever cheated, i never stuck a bad thing in my mouth ever no beer, candy nothing....

you will love your pump and hate it just like i do, nothing is easy in life but the pump does make it a little bit easier

my recommendation is to make sure you are totally ready mentally before going on the pump !!

Tony

:confused: Gee I never got that personal with my pump.

I never hated my pump. I just hated the soft sets I used to use.

If you hate your pump that much I will take it.

For a minute there I thought Gina was going:topic: . And that wouldn't of been good.

sicksage

i had a love/hate relationship when i was on it, too. what i'm considering now is whether its preferable to what i deal with now. (and im a she, by the way) :)

Tony
Originally posted by sicksage

i had a love/hate relationship when i was on it, too. what i'm considering now is whether its preferable to what i deal with now. (and im a she, by the way) :)

I was going to let Gina have it but, you beat me to it. Gina I think you made her mad. Don't make that mistake again.

Tony
Originally posted by Gina

i didnt think i was going off topic.....he asked about the pump vs injections helllooooooooooooo

i am going crazy because im getting fat, but thats another issue,
sounds like you was to me.:whistling :whistling

MacnReef

Tony, thanx for throwing this thread completely :topic: ! I think Gina was just giving her opinion and staying true to the thread. Anyway, Gina, why did you go off of shots if you kept perfect control and weight was ideal? I thought the pump was for people, like me, that had bad control their their bs.

Anyways, to give you an idea of how the pump can affect people. My a1c was 12 and up when I was first diagnosed and when I was on shots. My first a1c with the pump was 5.something and now it is 6.5. I eat everything, but when I was on shots I was constantly watching what I ate. At one time I switched from my pump to shots, after about a year of being on the pump. The first night, I was up three times going to the restroom. Which was weird because I had forgotten what that felt like. When I am on the pump, I hardly ever go to the restroom at night, unless I drink a gallon of water or something before I go to bed.

Anyways, I must say the pump has changed my life for the better but I do agree that I have thought about go back to shots a hundred times.

Tony
Originally posted by MacnReef

Tony, thanx for throwing this thread completely :topic: ! I think Gina was just giving her opinion and staying true to the thread.

Sorry:( I will start a new thread if I go off topic again.

MacnReef

Don't say sorry! You are the big dog around here, I am just a little pup and not only that I was kidding, just forgot to put lol....lol:whistling

Gina

Mac,

I went on the pump because my endo said that i would have even better control with it....and since i was so "disciplined" at the time....he thought it was a good idea to try it...

Everytime i come to this thread i miss being on shots for some reason lol

Tony

Don't say sorry! You are the big dog around here, I am just a little pup and not only that I was kidding, just forgot to put lol....lol:whistling

No, I know when I'm wrong, I will admit to it.

Now back on to the topic.

I prefer the pump myself. But it all depends on how many shots you are doing a day, where and when.

If you have to have a shot every time you eat then pump is the answer. Or taking more than 4 shots a day. Three or less I would say Injections.

And then how well is your treament with shots. This would be all things to conisder

statdeac

4-6 Shots a day works for me. A1C has been under 6 for more than 2 years.

Endo suggested a pump would make things easier, but I haven't made the switch.

MacnReef

Gina, why did you go off of shots if you kept perfect control and weight was ideal? I thought the pump was for people, like me, that had bad control their their bs.

Gina, are you going to answer me? ;)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.