Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tsukia

Support on an Unplanned pregnancy

Tsukia

(didn't see the pregnancy section so double posted in type 1.5)

Christmas day, started new relationship

End of January found out I was about a month pregnant; Unplanned, unexpected and honestly I didn't know how my new guy would take it.

He took it well mainly he said "It takes two" which helped. It made me feel like I wasn't alone in it. March we officially moved in together (By the time I found out I had did the gf migration of stuff; February his roomies all but kicked me out

Despite everything my A1C's have been right on target, best since diagnosis actually. My mother joked I should stay pregnant lol.

Now sitting at 29 weeks I am finding myself with more often then not emotional lows and self doubt. I feel weak and pathetic because of the limitations that this pregnancy is causing. I am lucky if I can stand long enough to do the dishes or shower. Reaching almost anything seems to be becoming a chore and the constant adjustments and appointments are making me feel like I have no control.

Issues sleeping due to baby's position, bathroom breaks, heat (I live in a semi-desert and it is summer) as well as nights when I just can't clear my head enough to sleep. If I nap more then two hours I wake up somewhere in the range of 2 for a blood sugar.

I feel so lost and even with people trying to help i can't help feeling fat, I have gained 40+ pounds since I found out and that was after loosing 15. On top of that every one else I see that is pregnant seems to be smiling and having a good time of it. It makes me feel like there is something wrong with me.

If anyone has any advice or can tell me of their experiences of being a pregnant diabetic (not gestational) I would welcome it, as I feel so alone and lost.

Laty

I think You have thoughts that every pregnant woman has, diabetic or not. I've been pregnant three times and at sometimes You are fed up being pregnant, especially in the summer! It is also a gradual way to accept that Your body will never be the same it was before being pregnant. You might be angry to have to change in new ways. I had big babies - partly genetical partly due my "sweet tooth" at the time.

But Your body will be able to recover to a new You.

I'm happy for You that the father of the baby to be took things as he did, and that You have Your mother to discuss with You.

You dont' "have to be happy". You are producing new life, which takes a lot of energy. Be good to Yourself, eat nutrient food, do some exercise You like and rest.

Don't worry - things have a tendency to clear out well. All the best for You !

Tsukia

Thank you for the optimism, sometimes it is hard to see from this side of things even though I know it is all for a good cause. I have been working on sticking to the healthy snacks which in many ways are better then the chips and cheesies. Due to the heat I find myself driven to my parents pool which helps with the exercise as well as cooling off. I always loved the pool but it helps me relax and makes exercise a little easier with the extra weight.

The baby seems to be sitting low so my hips and lower extremities tend to ache, another of those wonderful joys lol. I am also experiencing some cramp-like discomfort but no blood so I am sure it is just "growing pains".

I am also seeing someone because my team thinks I might be getting a bit of or at high risk to get post partum. She is nice and it is always good to get an unbias, third party point of view on the situation.

cynthiazinn

Hi. I am 24 type 1. I have had 2 pregnancies. I know what you are feeling. I know this sounds nuts but try to make a bit of a game out of it. I used to wear my measuring cups on a chain around my neck and I carried this huge black binder with my logs in it and put colorful stickers all over it. My husband and I used to make up great stories about it when we would get strange looks in public. I loved to involve him. He would help me read lables and count the carbs abd record them in my log. He even gave me my injections sometimes! It seems really bad now but you will look back on this time with fond memories!

Much Love

Cynthia

Tsukia

That is some ingenius thinking. I think with me it is more the growing belly, (I have never been thin and my waist has always been where I held the weight) and the fact of how new the relationship is, and last but not least the financial issues.

I love your ideas and the fact that the main reason i am on the forums has not let me down. I have always found it is easier to deal with things when you know you aren't alone. So far the pregnancy hasn't been that bad this past week has been the most uncomfortable but I think that goes with third trimester,

lol

Thank you for the support

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.