Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

xaela20287

a little advice?

xaela20287

Well , lets see I'm not even sure where to start with this! I Have been T1 diabetic since I was 3 and became pregnant in dec. of 08 and had first u/s at 6 wks and saw the heartbeat. At 8 weeks we went for another and there was no heartbeat at all. So the next day I had my D&C and so on. I was heartbroken and made a rash decision to just get an IUD put in and not try again! But ends up the IUD was not for me.. I was in alot of pain from it ! So I had it taken out in early May and just feel like I want to try again soon.. but I am not sure if my body is ready(the diabetes) how tightly controled did you have your diabetes and for how long before you came pregnant? My diabetes has been WAY out of control for awhile..will this effect my getting pregnant again ? and I also found out that I have a retroverted uterus ? Im assuming it has always been that way and doesn't effect getting preg. but maybe it effected the m/c? sorry for all the questions..just looking for some answers!

cinharding

I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

When I got pregnant at 30 (10 years after being diagnosed) my diabetes was terrible. However I did see my endocrynologist EVERY week throughout the pregnancy. I gained a lot of weight, due to being up to 100 units per day of insulin. Erica, my daughter, was born 5.5 weeks early at 7.7lbs.

It won't be easy but you'll need to follow your doctors instructions, to the letter.

Good luck.

xaela20287

Thank you! I am very insulin resistant as it is! I am on the insulin pump and have been for a year and my numbers have gotten alot better! I think that was my problem with getting pregnant before, it was just to out of whack as it was when I got pregnant.

Tsukia

I only got pregnant this December/January area and am currently at about 30 weeks. I didn't have the best control but wouldn't say I was out of control with my diabetes (The pregnancy was NOT planned) My average bg was around 10-12 ish after becoming pregnant my A1C's have been right on. But that is just me.

Best to stay in contact with your diabetic team. I have been diabetic for about 8-9 years. So far I have not had a healthy pregnancy. As cinharding said the weight gain can be hard on your body I have gained about 50 pds in the 7.5 months of my pregnancy.

support is here if you need it best of luck and keep us posted.

smsakai

I was just a bit curious about your IUD experience. I know that you said that you had a lot of pain with it, but did you have any diabetic issues with it? My doctor would like me to consider getting one, and I am a little nervous about it. The pill has never really worked well for me (it throws my periods and blood sugars really out of whack).

As far as your situation, have you talked to your doctors about getting pregnant again? They should be able to give you a good idea of what control they would like to see before...

ccryder19

I never got pregnant until my A1c improved from where it was for many years (around a 7 and 8). I finally lowered it to a 5.5 and then a 4.6 and suddenly I conceived-twins! I was so worried about this pregnancy. I checked my blood sugar a lot (like up to 15 times per day) including at night and I ate low carbs in order to minimize the amount of insulin I gave each day-meaning less over or under dosing. I delivered my twin boy and girl a month ago at 35 weeks 6 days and they were healthy and didn't need any help. I had good control for a year before conceiving and i'm sure this including good control throughout the entire pregnancy is what caused this outcome. It was VERY difficult but give yourself time to take care of yourself and get under control and THEN let nature do its thing. Chances are your body just needs a better A1c and then you'll be fine. The body does a great job of healing itself and forgiving us for our past highs. (I've been diabetic for 15 years and for the first 12 years had A1c readings of 10 and 11! so I promise you it can be done! :)

xaela20287

Thanks to everyone for the replies! Its encouraging to hear all of your stories :). As for the IUD .. I had cramps, bleeding, and back pain from it. It didn't cause any problems with the diabetes though! They said it is different for everyone that not all people have those problems so I would give it a shot!

& congrats on the twins !! Good luck :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.