Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tox662

Carb free snacks

fgummett

Me loves the Pork rinds/scratchings as well but can't seem to find them here in my part of Canada :(

BTW -- in the same aisle -- not sure if it has been mentioned but pretty much all the commercial jerky I find has added sugars :mad:

joecool

my favorite carb free snack i discovered the other day:

Take a few decent sized chunks of cheese (Cheddar is my favorite for this), microwave it about 30 seconds until it is completely melted. Mix in about 1 tsp of mild salsa + stir in completely. eat w/ a spoon.

Amanda84

I munch on almonds - bloods ok with these. Don't know if they're great though ie fat content but a whole lot better than copious cheese and celery. Eating more vege after dinner doesn't do it for me somehow.

flowerbabe68

I've seen Atkins bars spoken of a lot on this forum.Where do you buy them? Checked out Walmart,couldn't find then.Thanks for any info.:flowers:

Granny Shanny
I've seen Atkins bars spoken of a lot on this forum.Where do you buy them? Checked out Walmart,couldn't find then.Thanks for any info.:flowers:
The Walmart we frequent keeps them in the pharmacy area, along with other energy bars/shakes/etc.

I munch on almonds - bloods ok with these. Don't know if they're great though ie fat content but a whole lot better than copious cheese and celery. Eating more vege after dinner doesn't do it for me somehow.
Raw almonds work really well for me too, and since they take a lot of chewing, it doesn't take very many to squelch the munchies.

foxl

I bought a box of the Atkins Advantage bars at my grocery. They contain maltilol(?) Both times I ate them at night, my morning fasting was quite high, not sure if that is the reason ... but they are tasty!

I am going to try them earlier in the day and test more this weekend.

cyberus
I bought a box of the Atkins Advantage bars at my grocery. They contain maltilol(?) Both times I ate them at night, my morning fasting was quite high, not sure if that is the reason ... but they are tasty!

I am going to try them earlier in the day and test more this weekend.

Manitol, maltitol, sorbitol and their brethren are sugar alcohols and while they claim to be zero carb your body doesn't read labels, some peoples systems (like mine) treat these sugar alcohols like any other carb (and lets not forget the laxative effect for those who it affects). You have to try and test each one to find out which ones work for you and which don't. The big three I mentioned above are bad for me personally.

Another point to look at is that you need to look at the USDA nutrition data PANEL on those bars not the splash on the front for real carb data. Since Atkins lost control of his company they have moved from "carbs is carbs" to a voodoo glycemic index math system where they get net carbs based on how something supposedly affects glucose levels 2 hours after eating .... while masking the effect some of these things may have 3-4 or more hours later.

Hey .. they may work for you, just go in with your eyes wide open OK?

Granny Shanny

The Atkins Endulge bars are another thing I put on the nightstand sometimes. I've been able to use the peanut caramel cluster ones without a spike. Have never tried the Advantage bars.

foxl
The Atkins Endulge bars are another thing I put on the nightstand sometimes. I've been able to use the peanut caramel cluster ones without a spike. Have never tried the Advantage bars.

Hmmm .. .do the Endulges have maltilol? (I keep thinking of lolcats when I type that!).

Oh, and Cyberus ... I DO read the sidebar and call them 11 g carb, NOT the advertised 3! Great advice and I wholeheartedly agree.

Granny Shanny

Yep, I think they do. I've tried only three kinds - caramel peanut cluster, peanut butter cup & the chocolate coconut bar. The coconut one has less maltilol than the other two (but it's more addicting! :D :D :D at least for me).

ramon

Crystal Light Popsicles are really delicious and beef jerky, both available at walmart. I bet you cant just eat one.:)

jillybean

Spray a microwave-safe plate with Pam and put a pile of shredded cheese in the center (this doesn't work as well with mozzarella - I like colby jack or cheddar). Microwave for about 1 minute 15 seconds or until it reaches your desired level of crispness. Some people like it crispy, but Ilike mine a little chewy kind of like a cheese jerky :)

And the usuals - protein shakes, egg salad, sandwich meat and cheese, nuts...

foxl
Spray a microwave-safe plate with Pam and put a pile of shredded cheese in the center (this doesn't work as well with mozzarella - I like colby jack or cheddar). Microwave for about 1 minute 15 seconds or until it reaches your desired level of crispness. Some people like it crispy, but Ilike mine a little chewy kind of like a cheese jerky :)

Works better for me if I do this in a skillet -- try a mound of any finely-shredded cheese and fry slowly till crunchy and brown -- NUMMY NUMS!

musique913

The Atkins Endulge bars spiked me, even the peanut caramel one which I was looking forward to.:(

The chocolate peanut butter/peanut advantage bar worked great for me, and it's seriously yummy..can't do without that every once and a while.

I also love self roasted pumpkin seeds..mmm.

Pork rinds? ewwww:eek:

musique913

Oh my gosh..that sounds YUMMY!

I'm getting so darned skinny from eating like this, and I can't even believe it..lolol

jillybean
Works better for me if I do this in a skillet -- try a mound of any finely-shredded cheese and fry slowly till crunchy and brown -- NUMMY NUMS!

heh, for those who are lazy like me, the microwave also works :P I also find it easier to keep it from getting crunchy and brown since that tastes burnt to me. Regardless of method, cheese crisps = YUM!

weard o2
I make my extra special Black Forest Cherry Creamcheese Cheesecake Muffins -- not NO carb, but only 1g per muffin and they're yummy :)

i normally eat slim jims they have 4 carbs but my doctor says i can eat them :D try asking ur doctor.

dbaratta
A chunk of pepper jack cheese, a turkey/provolone roll-up, a hard-boiled egg, an Atkins shake, an Atkins bar, a cucumber, a small handful of nuts are some of my nightime grabbits. Not all at once, of course!

YUM love cheese!

Joeprep4820

I don't like Atkins; something about his "food" being in the drug aisle weirds me out not to mention I like my food to be food, not chemicals.

I never eat at night unless necessary, but on occasion I enjoy some mozarella marinated in olive oil, olives (Whole Foods has a great olive bar), cucumber with cottage cheese and a sprinkle of Old Bay, prosciutto di Parma, and more.

eclipse
Here ya go :) The recipe came with some kind of chocolate garnish, but it doesn't need it.

Ingredients

1 cup cola beverage (I used Coke Cherry Zero to compliment the cherry Jell-O)

1 small pkg sugar-free cherry Jell-O

16 ounces cream cheese, cubed and softened

1 teaspoon almond flavoring

1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted

Method

Pour cola in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Pour over Jell-O in medium mixing bowl. Stir until Jell-o is disolved. Add cream cheese to dissolved Jell-O. Add melted chocolate and almond flavoring. Beat well with electric mixer for 2 minutes on medium speed. Spoon into 12 muffin cups that have been lined with cupcake liners. Chill for 2-3 hours or until firm.

Makes 12 muffins, 2 carbs each (without garnish)!

When you say 2carbs each do you mean carb servings or grams?

Seagal

I don't think Geisha is here anymore (this is an older thread). But I would think it is 2 grams carbs each. Isn't a carb serving 15 grams? I don't know anyone that uses the carb servings method, so I have forgotten all about it...haven't heard about it since meeting with the dietician 9 years ago.

TooSweetForMe
I make my extra special Black Forest Cherry Creamcheese Cheesecake Muffins -- not NO carb, but only 1g per muffin and they're yummy :)

Do you have the link for the recipe readily available? I'm sitting here reading this and drooling into my keyboard.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.