Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rak1978

appetizer and dessert "girls night"..need suggestions..

rak1978

Hello.

I'm hosting a "girls night" at my house tomorrow night with about 9 of my friends. Everyone is going to bring either an appetizer or dessert. My experience with these two things is that they are generally high carb. I was planning on making something low in carbs but still really tasty (oh, plus I'm going to make some nice fudgy brownies that I will NOT be eating:)). I have brain fog right now and need some suggestions.

Thanks!

Moonglo

I posted a recipe for a low sugar strawberry pie a few days ago... I think the thread was called "I'm 'Bout to" or something like that in the recipes section. FYI, the pie came out okay, but a friend of mine says she detected a slight after taste from the splenda... so maybe use a different sweetener? And you could use other fruits/flavors of jello... that's just the way I did it.

e||ement

oooh i love appetizers. on the rare occassion that dh and i get to go out for dinner, we always order a mish-mash of appys and share. we do this at home too.

these are some good low carb ones:

1. small tomatoes, cut in half, scoop out the flesh, add in fresh chopped garlic, splash of lemon juice and whatever cheese you like (boursin cheese is great for this), roast in oven until cheese is melted

2. scallops wrapped in bacon

3. get big mushroom and stuff the caps with garlic, cheese, whatever herbs you like and roast 'em

4. tomato slices with proscuitto and fresh mozzarella

5. small chicken satay with peanut sauce for dipping or small pork kebabs with tzaziki for dipping

6. jumbo shrimp baked in butter and garlic...mmmm

7. not personally a fan, but deviled eggs would be low carb

8. ham, tomato and pineapple skewers

9. use sliced cucumber in place of crackers for canapes

how's that??

dessert you could do parfaits with yogurt, nut butter and a square of dark chocolate

mmm, now i'm hungry :drool:

foxl

Hummus stuffed into tomato and cucumber cups. And or celery.

Olives and cheese!

There are deviled eggs, and deviled eggs. I make mine with: dill, onion, and capers, a bit of mayo. salt and pepper. Not classic American, but go with anything like a little black dress!

princesslinda

You could always get some sliced turkey or ham and make rollups. Spread with the whipped cream cheese and chives and roll it up, put it in the freezer until it's firm, then slice it into rounds.

For dessert, make s/f cheesecake pudding, layer it wine glasses with a layer of pudding, a layer of strawberries/blueberries and a layer of whipped cream.

Chocolate pudding is also good layered the blueberries or strawberries and whipped cream, with nuts sprinkled on top.

Or cut up your strawberries in a bowl with a little splenda and drizzle with Grand Mariner or Triple Sec, serve with whipped cream.

e||ement
Olives and cheese!

OMG...this was practically all i ate when i was pregnant. big green olives and sharp cheddar. sooooooo good!!

Dis-N-Dat

Ellement I'm with you!

Also Water chestnuts (marinated in soy overnight) rolled in sugar & wrapped in bacon. Broil (sorry not for diabetics but your friends will love it.

How about a blast from the past and have an appetizer of cheese fondue & veggies.

rak1978

Woah. I'm hungry now.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. Yum! I didn't reply sooner, because I was scared that would slow the momentum! Keem em coming!

:)

For the record: Olives and cheese are my favorite thing ever. (especially when pregnant! :)) Hmmm...maybe I'll make a nice appetizer platter.

foxl

Nuts or pumpkin seeds, sauteed in curry powder, garlic and butter ... they do get a bit messy, but yummy! Supposed to be finger foods, anyhow!

mzteacher

i have made the one minute almond meal chocolate cakes...tossed in a few walnuts and a few semi sweet chips and served with splenda sweetened whip cream....you could get away w/o making brownies! and enjoy some your self....the little frozen cream puffs are pretty low carb....

have fun!!

susan

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.