Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

terbear2008

levemir and pregnancy?

terbear2008

I am a type 2 diabetic who has raised sugars in the am. I have been put on levemir and it's done wonders for me! I use to wake up to 11-13 sugars every morning no matter what I did/ate the night before and now I wake up with 6-7's. I have just turned 42 and wanting to do IVF in November but have been told by my endocrinologist that levemir has not been tested so I will have to go on N and R again. I am also on gluconorm and metformin. In the past, my body has disagreed with the two insulins causing bloating, wait gain and many low sugars. Does anyone else currently use levemir and pregnant or planning to get pregnant?

e||ement

i'm planning a pregnancy and am on N. same thing here...my endo so far won't prescribe levemir or lantus because of that. i'm going to press and press though and see what happens.

i am using humalog though, not regular, for bolus.

terbear2008

ellement- you're doing great with your AIC's - good job!

It's funny she told me there hasn't been enough research on the levemir, yet she prescribed Junuvia without a blink of an eye and all I hear about that med is negative stuff relating to cancer! :confused:

mazea

I'm on Levemir for pregnancy. I had to fight my endocrinologist to stay on it when I became pregnant though lol :) . Actually my endocrinologist wouldn't give me a Lev prescription so I went to see another doctor who i didn't tell I was planning to get pregnant that I wanted to try Levemir. He only found out afterwards and said it was fine that there was no evidence saying Levemir was bad for pregnancy.

I am glad that I have been on Levemir for the pregnancy as my endocrinologist has informed me that a few women on Levemir have given birth to healthy babies with no problems at the hospital.

My last ultrasound at 26 weeks showed a bub was healthy and had good functioning organs, excellent blood flow through aorta, slightly low average weight(my husband and i are small though), head size ect right in the middle of the field. I haven't had any problems with Levemir at all.

Good luck with your insulin choices.

e||ement
ellement- you're doing great with your AIC's - good job!

It's funny she told me there hasn't been enough research on the levemir, yet she prescribed Junuvia without a blink of an eye and all I hear about that med is negative stuff relating to cancer! :confused:

thanks...it's not been easy to get there on NPH...but i must if i want to go for kiddo #2.

i know, it's ridiculous. on another thread discussing this issue someone from the UK said it's opposite there, that endos won'd prescribe NPH if you are pregnant!

crazy world!

terbear2008

Yes, it's amazing what levemir has done for me to get those morning sugars down. It also helps throughout the day as well. I'm hoping my endo changes her mind on not letting me use it thru pregnancy because I could never get my sugars below 11 without it in the past 15 years even with rapid and long lasting insulins, pills etc. Why would they be good with one but not another??? I used the Junuvia for about a week till I read about the cancer....and it to kept my "day" sugars down.....but that "C" thing scared me off. I haven't heard much about levemir.:confused:

Keezheekoni

I've had two children while being on Lantus. Most OBs in the US now know that Lantus and Levemir give much better control for the mom, and are safe for the growing fetus. NPH and R don't give the control you need and will cause an unnecessarily large baby. Fight for your right to choose the better insulin. :)

mell1682

I was on Lantus during one of my pregnancies and have a perfectly healthy (and obnoxious! :laugh:) 5 yr old. My 2nd pregnancy was on NPH cuz I switched docs and they didn't want to risk it. I was very VERY unhappy with NPH....I was up and down, up and down and it was just a bad rollercoaster. That said, my 2nd daughter came out perfectly fine too. If I ever have any more babies, I definitely want Lantus because I have awesome control with it, even during those crazy pregnancy-related blood sugar issues :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.