Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ajoseph

Worried, but trying....

ajoseph

I am 26 tomorrow, type 1.5 on an insulin pump for exactly a year today, and just found out that I am pregnant. My last A1C was 6.8, a little high I know, but i have been working hard to get my pump functioning the way that it should.

I am about 6 weeks pregnant, and dont see the doctor until Monday. My blood sugar numbers have been all over the place for the last few months, and I have been working to get them back in line. I attributed the fluctuations to discontinuing my birth control at first, because I know the hormones can cause some changes. I know now that there is something much larger happening here.

I absolutely want to give my child the best possible start in life, and I feel horrible that I cant get blood sugars in line right now. I am eating limited carbs, bolusing every meal, testing 8 to 10 times per day, and I am still trending high. I just upped my basal rates, as my doctor suggested over the phone, but nothing seems to be working the way that I want. My pre meal numbers have been anywhere from 72 to 120, and my post meals just today have been anywhere from 159 to 235!! Yikes! And that is counting, and bolusing correctly! Its just so hard.

I am scared and worried that I have done harm to my child. I feel so frustrated because I am working so hard. I almost feel like I should just stop eating all together just so that my blood sugars will even out! I know I cant do that, but I am stressing over it. I just want to give 100% to this baby. I have so much information in front of me already, but I just need some support and encouragement. I am so worried, and want the best for this pregnancy, and for myself.

Thanks for any advice and well wishes, I appreciate that there is a place to come and voice my fears.

Moonglo

I don't know much about diabetic pregnancy, but I seem to remember reading on here a time or two before that blood sugar will be all over the place and is naturally harder to control while pregnant. As others told me earlier, try to not beat yourself up too much about bg, it will only make it worse. Hopefully others with more knowledge will come along soon.

Congrats on the pregnancy though! :)

Terrbo

I'm just starting my 3rd pregnancy as a type 1, and am currently not on the pump. Generally, with my last 2, somewhere during the 1st trimester, I went on the pump because I got tired of taking 12-15 shots per day. The point is, as long as you continue testing and adjusting, it will get better, especially during the 2nd trimester! Just remember, your body needs more insulin during pregnancy, don't be afraid to use it :) Good Luck!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.