Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jenny

Anti-depressants/Anti-anxiety meds

Jenny

I have had depression since I was a kid. The best med that worked for me was Luvox. It stopped working for me about a year ago after 3.5 years of working perfect! I am going through this stage of finding a new one. Does depression/anxiety have anything to do with diabetes? Or can it make meds stop working for you?

:topic:

Gina

I think that Depression and Diabetes can go hand in hand...DEFINATLY....

I dont think it would make the meds stop working, maybe your just becoming immune to the meds and need something else...like any medicine when you take it enough it will stop working because your body will become acustomed to it....

But i dont think being diabetic has anything to do with your meds not working on u

Harold

Don't believe anyone would say depression causes diabetes, but diabetes usually causes depression in most people. With the highs and the lows, the swings inbetween, and the fact everything that bothers you has been elevated it's understandable. Like Gina said your body became acustomed to the drug which it will eventually do with any and all drugs. Maybe in several years when you get use to the new one you will be able to go back to the Luvox.

Jenny

Gina

Yes, I am ok...not that depressed....just having a hard time finding the right med....she knows about the depression and I have several really good friends I can talk to when I need it....

Jenny
Originally posted by Gina

oh ok im just being concerned :)

((((((gina))))) <----those are cyber hugs.........

Thanks for caring....it helps even when I don't even know you.......but thanks for being there.......

:)

snydermom

Jenny - You say you're having trouble "finding the right med". What else have you taken and how did it affect you?

Jenny

I have tried Effexor xr....made anxiety worse........tries Paxil cr......didn't help any....and I also have tried zoloft.......all of these in the last year or about that and none have worked.......I think I will ask her if I can try the Luvox again....maybe my body just needed a break for awhile from it....:confused:

Linus0014

I have taken alot of different Medications similar to the ones you have tried. I've probably tried 20 different ones until I was finally happy with the ones I take now. (4 of them, plus being a type 1). Let me know if you have any questions.

zookeeper671

Hiya Jenny~

Silly question, I'm sure, but did your doc try adjusting the dose of Luvox (maxing out the dose)?

I've been on psych meds for over 17 years. Have at one point or another tried exactly 31 different meds in that period of time (including the ones you've taken). Like you, I've found that they sometimes stop working out of the blue, especially the antidepressants. The only thing that's worked for me is to switch after maxing out the dose has failed. When I've tried going back to the meds that quit previously, they've never worked quite as well... usually ended up having to switch yet again.

It's a shame you're having to go through this. Switching meds is such a pain in the tushy.

Meds I'm currently taking; Eskalith (lithium), Effexor XR, Lamictal (antiepileptic used as a mood stabilizer), Xanax (used rarely), Ambien, Synthroid, Rhinocort, Allegra, Lantus and Humalog.

Ten pills a day, plus shots. Feel like a walking pharmacy. lol :rolleyes:

Please feel free to PM me if you wish. Always willing to lend an ear.

Collette

Jenny, i would go back to your GP and together im sure you can find meds that work.

I have been on Citalopram and Efexor xr, neither have worked for me, im now trying Mirtazapine 30mg overlapped with the Exefor xr 150mg.

Unfortunately it can take time to get the right meds for you, circumstance changes and so does the level of depression.

Good luck!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.