Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kosmo29

Meter Vs. lab test

Kosmo29

Something else that concerns me is my last two lab tests almost 2 years ago showed a fasting of 104 and 106. When I did the meter a few weeks ago it was 92 on day and 89 on another then it went up to the 158 one hour post meal. My concern is the meter I have is way off or ???? I know lab tests are more accurate so could my 158 have been even higher? Any advice? Sorry I am paranoid, I have two type 2 diabetic parents.

genie86333

Meters can be off by 20% and still be accurate - so yes, that 158 could have been up to 30 points higher...or lower! And the 92 & 89 can both conceivably be 18 - 20 points off too.

However, also remember your levels won't be the same from day to day - perhaps when you had the labs done you were sick, or stressed, or had been visited by aliens the night before ;) perhaps even just the bit of "exercise" from getting out of bed, getting ready for the day & driving to the lab had an effect - many many things can affect the readings. One suggestion to tell if your meter is way off - next time you have labs done take your blood sugar with the meter right then & there & compare with the lab's results when you get them.

As for the 158, what did you eat? Did you test again at 2 hours? (You should check at 2 hours as well because that's the point at which your blood sugar should have returned to normal levels.)

When it comes to diabetes a bit of paranoia is good - make it work for you - make changes in your life now. :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.