Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

inkvisitor

Lisinopril side effects

inkvisitor

Has anyone taken lisinopril and experienced anything unusual? I recently started taking 10mg/day and more recently i'll get pounding heartbeats on occasion. I don't feel funny, and I don't have a home blood pressure monitor. Does anyone know what specifically causes the pounding?

I have an appointment next week, but until then I'm thinking of not taking it after I saw it listed as one of the "see your doctor immediately" type side effects.

paramountz

I take the same dose and get the pounding when I stand up quickly I always thought it was low blood pressure. My Dr told me to take the lisinopril to protect my kidneys not because I have high blood pressure I'm not really sure how it protects my kidneys sorry I could not help more.

Granny Shanny

I wasn't on it very long, and I don't remember symptoms like that. I was on the lookout more for the cough, since that's what doc warned me about, and I did indeed develop the cough, so he switched me to atenolol.

barbarac
I wasn't on it very long, and I don't remember symptoms like that. I was on the lookout more for the cough, since that's what doc warned me about, and I did indeed develop the cough, so he switched me to atenolol.

They are 2 different classes. Lisinopril is a ace inhibitor and Atenolol is a beta blocker. They do different things.

I also got the cough from lisinopril, so they switched me to Diovan. Wanted to take atenolol instead of Toprol, but they said no and I have no idea why. Almost everyone I know takes it and seems to have success.

They drive me crazy with these meds and the side effects.

inkvisitor

Oops - I didn't clarify. I'm on the lisinopril for the ACE inhibitor-kidney reason, not for high blood pressure.

I'm going to give it up until I go to the doctor..

Granny Shanny

My post was unclear as well . . . I AM on it for hypertension. And I know untreated hypertension kills kidneys.

foxl

I am on ramipril (its older cousin) for renal and cardiac protection and mild hypertension .... just started night before last ... I already had the occasional heart pounding so am not sure it is a side effect. Looking at the drug info, not sure if it is a typical side effect.

Can you split the dose?

MCS

I was on Lis for HB, the pounding I got was Atrial Fibrillation. While taking it I couldn't seem to keep hydrated, constant cramps in my arms and legs. I would have to drink upwards of 3 liters of water a day to keep the heart pounding at bay.

inkvisitor

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I'll ask about lowering or splitting the dose, but I remember that my NP said that if I experienced the dry cough and it bothered me, there was an alternative I could take (of course I don't remember its name). I have also been feeling slightly more dehydrated than normal, too.

My concern is the cause of the pounding and that it will still occur with a different medication. So...I guess that brings up the question of what exactly causes the pounding from the lisinopril. Yes, I googled that for me (:T) but wasn't able to find anything conclusive.

foxl

Usually if ACE inhibitors do not work, you get put on an ARB. They are very effective, too. In the US they are more expensive and many insurance cos. will not cover them. (they consider a cough trivial ... just ask my professional vocalist BIL how trivial it is!).

LeslieH

Hi there,

Lisinopril's effects will drop a person's blood pressure (BP), even if they are only taking it for kidney preservation. This is due to the nature of the medication's action. The drug belongs to a class of medications called ACE Inhibitors. The main action of this drug class is to block the production of an enzyme in the kidney that leads to the making of a potent substance that constricts vessels. These drugs were first introduced as hypertension medications, but research found that they had a kidney-preservation effect by keeping proteins from damaging the small filtering nephrons of the kidneys. So, doctors began to prescribe this to patients with diabetes to help the fight against kidney damage.

So, anyone who takes any drug from this medication class for their kidneys are likely to experience some lowering of their blood pressure. It could be reasoned that the episodes of heart pounding are related to the lowered blood pressure. When the BP drops, the body compensates by raising the heart rate and causing the heart to beat harder (pounding). These episodes may occur or become more dramatic when a person isn't fully hydrated or when a person suddenly changes positions (lying in bed or sitting to standing, for instance). In these cases, the blood pressure doesn't rise as quickly (because the ACE inhibitor is keeping the vessels open), so the heart makes up for this by beating faster and harder.

Make sure that you are drinking enough water. This may decrease the symptoms somewhat.

I took this medication for a while and had similar symptoms as Paramountz described. I talked with my doctor about this and he switched me to Benicar, which is a drug that is a cousin of the ACE inhibitor family. It still lowers my BP, but the symptoms didn't seem to be as dramatic.

jkane13

You should not be on a dose that actually lowers your blood pressure if you do not have high pressure. Mine went down a couple points, but not much at all. I have too many other things going on in my life right now to say if I get heart pounding from it. But when I started it, I spent a month with it being the only change I made. And I did not notice any of those side effects.

I do get a cough about 1-2 hours after taking my daily meds. Could be any of them. But, I have nasal issues even before the meds started, so I think it is more from that. I take a cough drop if the cough gets bad. It passes in about 10-15 minutes of about 2 minutes with the cough drop. It only happens every now and then, not every day.

Dis-N-Dat

I too take it with no side effects. My only caution would be to talk to the percriber before stopping....just in case.

Are you confuming more coffee or other stimulants than usual? If this is the case it could be "Ectopic focus". It's not usually harmful unless there is a serious underlying heart condition.

inkvisitor

Yes, I regularly consume caffeine and know that it could be a culprit.

I stopped taking it several days ago anyhow since I don't "need" it.

I have an appointment the day after tomorrow and I'll see if I am on the lowest effective dosage and if so, I'll see about taking something else.

Dis-N-Dat

I don't know, I think it would only be the culprit if you consumed more than usual. If not, probably not the issue.

NewdestinyX

When you all say -- 'pounding heart' do you mean that it feels like it's pounding 'harder' or more REPS -- faster..

I'm supposed to be on Lisinopril too but I haven't started because I wanted to stabilize on the MET first and make sure I knew what drug causes what side effects.

I've had PVC's -- the sense of 'feeling' your heartbeating and 'skipped beats' for a long time.. They are harmless. MANY things cause them.. even nutrasweet and too much caffeine. They do not harm the heart at all per my doc.. If you mean 'FASTER' heart rate... I've had that more recently -- but it seems to be tied to how much glucose is in my blood. Like after a more carby meal the heart rate goes up and stays up until the sugar comes down.. But I also have the feeling that my heart is working harder..

So did the Lisinopril -- make the beats HARDER or MORE FREQUENT?

inkvisitor

Not an increased rate, just harder. Literally pounding in my chest and neck. My DG could feel it and was worried, too..

yannah

Lauren, ya had enough of the lipsinopril thread yet? ohhh juat read soe of that thread.....I am on quinipril. about the same thing. I used to have a vhb but now its gone, I think that is cuz of the verapimil.

NewdestinyX
Not an increased rate, just harder. Literally pounding in my chest and neck. My DG could feel it and was worried, too..
What's a DG? Has anything at all NEW been added to your diet? I've found that even too much b vitamins can cause heavy thumping heart beat. When my BG number is high I can feel it more too.

Hope you find your answer..

inkvisitor

So I started taking 5mg and still experienced the pounding. I stopped again. Just got a call from my doctor's office about latest lab results and I have no microalbumin, etc and she told me to stop taking it for now.

Guess I'll be switching to something new in the near future.

Oh, and DG, DH, DW = Dear such and such :)

mkudsy

How high was your blood pressure?

For almost 7 years now, my BP have been around 130/80, but recently after I change the diet to the high fat it changed to 145/95. Last week (10/9) it was 130/95. My doc told me to try herbs consisting of

1 dried-Indonesian bay-leaf (Syzygium polyanthum), crumbled by hand (find it in Indonesian/Thai food store)

1 large clove garlic, finely sliced

1/2 finger size ginger root, finely sliced

1 sachet green-tea

Put in a cup and pour hot boiled water and cover. Drink after cooled, preferably in the morning while your stomach is empty. Good luck.

After 4 days my BP drop to 130/80. and it is great for me. Good luck.

inkvisitor

It is normally in the 120/80 range.

I had the same worries since switching to a lower carb but higher fat diet but it hasn't seem to changed anything.

I did notice, however, that when I started eating lower amounts of carbohydrates but kept with my normal lower fat diet I was losing weight (not dramatically but in the direction I wanted to go). Now that I've let go on the fat restrictions more, I am gaining a little. I wouldn't be surprised if that did a turn on my blood pressure too eventually, so I'm going to aim at lessening the fat intake a little.

mkudsy
It is normally in the 120/80 range.

I had the same worries since switching to a lower carb but higher fat diet but it hasn't seem to changed anything.

I did notice, however, that when I started eating lower amounts of carbohydrates but kept with my normal lower fat diet I was losing weight (not dramatically but in the direction I wanted to go). Now that I've let go on the fat restrictions more, I am gaining a little. I wouldn't be surprised if that did a turn on my blood pressure too eventually, so I'm going to aim at lessening the fat intake a little.

Almost similar thing, I also reduced fat since last week, especially animal fat (from cow, lamb), but I increase fat from fish and plant (olive oil, peanuts, avocado, lentils). And it looks fine and works for me in the mean time.

Gozelle

I have taken 15 mg for 8 years with no problem. However, it took a while to find the right med for me. The first type took my blood pressure way too low as well as my heartbeat, and I could feel my heart skipping beats. Go back soon. There is the right med for you; your doctor and you have lots of choices.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.