Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chef Barrae

Agave

Chef Barrae

I just wanted to know if anyone has had any experience in cooking or baking with Agave syrup/nector, and what they found. If so, which kind did you use, light, medium or dark?Thanks.

mzteacher

i have only used it in ice cream...and it was wonderful!!! splenda tends to over freeze a but....bit i will still use it...but the agave gave perfect results....it was the light i think...

let us know of your results....

susan

HealthierMe

Hi. I have some light agave nectar in my kitchen right now, but haven't used it since dx. I used to like the taste esp in stir fry in place of honey. It's very mild tasting. And on the expensive side. As I recall you have to add alot to get a sweet taste in hot tea. I don't think I ever baked with it. Mostly stir fry or over toast bread. Can't really tell you if it raises bg.

Evermont

I use agave, mostly in plain yogurt with fresh or frozen blueberries. I use raw agave and don't cook with it to preserve the antioxidants which cooking (or pasteurizing) would destroy. I'm going to try home made ice cream soon.

I'm not totally against cooking with it though, I've got some almond flour and I'll try some kind of cookie at some point too.

tealas
I just wanted to know if anyone has had any experience in cooking or baking with Agave syrup/nector, and what they found. If so, which kind did you use, light, medium or dark?Thanks.

Since I'm interested in eating about 75% raw foods, I use the raw dark agave syrup. I make treats with it, like raw nut & cacao nib "truffle" balls and raw dark chocolate :D I can eat a serving that has about 15 grams of carb but doesn't raise my blood sugar above 110 mg/dl 1-2 hours later.

jenb

I substitute organic blue agave nectar for sugar in many recipes. Since it's so sweet I usually reduce the amount of sweetener by about half (sometimes as much as 2/3). I'm especially happy with the flavor it gives to bread [i KNOW, I KNOW! But I'm addicted to baking bread...I promise that I give it away.] In fact I currently have several loaves of sourdough proofing - the recipe calls for 2 T sugar; instead I use 1 T agave and reduce the amount of liquid a little.

Jen

Ti-Jae

I use light agave nectar to sweeten hot teas. I haven't done much baking in the last several months, but I'm interested in trying it for that when the baking bug bites again, too.

Chef Barrae

Thanks for the great info folks!!!! I appreciate it. I think I heard what I needed to hear from you all but still welcome more responses. I am going to do some experimenting soon and I am thinking sweet treats. I want to use agave for sweetner, mix almond flour with the ap, and maybe even use unsweetened applesauce to reduce some fat. I will definitely try to make my own chocolate with agave and cocoa powder. If that works then the world is our oyster!!! Or, the sky is the limit! We'll see. Now, I've got to find where it's sold near me. I'll try Whole Foods Market first. Thanks again!!!!!

Chef Barrae

Just wanted to mention I found Agave in my local grocer in the Health Foods aisle. I purchased both the light and dark syrup. Very pricey but I think it will go a very long way.

So, immediately I had to try and make chocolate! I admit it, I am a chocohalic. I blended equal parts unsweetened cocoa powder, light agave, a dash of vanilla, a dash of milk and melted butter. No real measurements to give out just yet as I am still testing. Anyway, it make a nice tasting chocolate somewhere between milk chocolate and semi-sweet chocolate in taste. Although agave has carbs that must be counted, from what I read about studies that have been done, it usually does not spike bg and is very low on the glycemic index. Of course, YMMV.

I will be experimenting and let you all know what I figure out. Thanks again for all your help.

tealas

So, immediately I had to try and make chocolate! I admit it, I am a chocohalic. I blended equal parts unsweetened cocoa powder, light agave, a dash of vanilla, a dash of milk and melted butter. No real measurements to give out just yet as I am still testing. Anyway, it make a nice tasting chocolate somewhere between milk chocolate and semi-sweet chocolate in taste. Although agave has carbs that must be counted, from what I read about studies that have been done, it usually does not spike bg and is very low on the glycemic index. Of course, YMMV.

I make a raw dark chocolate based on a recipe I got off the Choc Chick web site, called "Simple Raw Choc Recipe". This is the version I make, yum! :T (fyi - raw cacao butter can be hard to find, I get mine from nutsonline)

3-4 oz raw cacao butter

4 tbs raw cacao powder

2-3 tbs dark raw agave syrup

1 tsp vanilla

1/2 tsp ground cardamom

Melt cacao butter in a "bain-marie" but not over 110'. Whisk in the cacao powder, and then the agave, vanilla and cardamom. Remove from the heat, keep whisked as you spoon into moulds or ice cube trays. Cool in freezer for 20-30 minutes. Enjoy! :)

SCAPER

I just found out about Agave Syrup for the first time this weekend. This stuff is delicious! And didn't seem to raise by BG really very much after I had a tsp. or 2 of it.

By the way, for all of you who are saying it's pricey - go to COSTCO - if you have one. They sell 2 good sized bottles for about $8-$9!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.