Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

oana

Anybody had retinopathy before getting pregnant?

oana

Hello,

I have D from 13 years and this week I was at my eye doctor and he told me that I have eye retinopathy:( .

I want to have a baby but I'm wandering if I can now I have this retinopathy.

My last HbA1c was 7,5 and I'm trying now to lower it.

All the best,

Oana

belyro

Yes. I did.

The pregnancy did worsen my retinopathy. It was fine until the 3rd trimester and then the growth hormones in my body from the pregnancy caused further growth of proliferative vessels in my left eye. At about 36 weeks, I ended up with a pretty major bleed in that eye. 5 months later I still have some of the blood floating around in that eye, and I have had another few less major bleeds, but it is SLOWLY clearing up.

Was it worth it, for my beautiful baby girl? You bet!

Will I risk it again for a second child? The jury's still out on that one.

Good luck!

Belle'sMama

I found out that I had DR in April, had surgery on one eye since the other eye had it, but not enough to warrant laser yet. I got pregnant 2 mos later in June and had my 3 mo recheck and found that the other eye now had enough to have surgery done on it and so I had the other eye surgery done actually when I was in the 1st trimester, probably around 6 or 8 wks along and it was ok, had no probs whatsoever. I fortunately had no increasse of DR during my pregnancy or afterward. My DD is now almost 3 yrs old and I just had my eyes checked last month and it is still stable. So, hopefully yours will not increase when you are pregnant. I told my opthalmologist last month that I am ttc #2 and he said that there are a lot of women who have no changes in DR and others do. HTH

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.