Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mg_2204

People don't test enough...

mg_2204

... I always make sure I never run out of test strips. I went to the pharmacy today to get more supplies and unfortunately I will have to go back later today as they don't have what I need in store at the moment. The pharmacist found me quite eager to get my supplies. And he made this comment, which surprised me :

'People hardly test. Many have run out of supplies weeks, and sometimes months ago. If I don't have what they need they often don't come back before a week or two. They renew their pills but most do without testing' ...........

I find I have better control when I test. I couldn't do without it. And if the pharmacy doesn't have what I need by the end of the afternoon, you can bet anything I'll go somewhere else. I can imagine doing weeks and months without testing...

KrisinNM

That is probably much more true of T2s than T1s. I can see myself putting off testing if there is not going to be an immediate consequence. I was at a T2 friend's home one evening without my testing kit and asked to borrow his....he couldn't find it. :eek:

duck

I test upwards of 8 times a day lately. I once forgot my testing kit at home when I went to work about two years ago...Man did I feel lost. I broke down and went to the local Target and bought a meter (needed a backup anyway).

I now have at least six testing kits--one at work, one I carry in my brief case, one for my bedroom, one for my home office, one for the basement, one for each of my cars...I am considering giving my parents a kit to hold onto.

You're right, though about not testing enough. As much as I'd like to be insulin free, if I had to chose, I'd take an easier, constant blood glucose monitor over an implantable pump...Testing is just a pain all around.

mg_2204

... Duck, you just made me realise something : I only have ONE meter. I think it's a great idea to have at least two.

dixiepixie64

Yep, I use two meters too but keeping up with the different test strip refill status for the Accuchek and the MM BD Logic is confusing. My insurance will only refill one type or the other every thirty days....

I know what you mean Duck about feeling lost without a meter. Ran out of the house last weekend in a hurry to catch a movie and I forgot mine. I was scared to eat anything and was so relieved to get home and discover it was at 124. *whew* The whole time I was out I was obsessively checking my site connection & imagining ketones.... :eek:

dixiepixie64

That is one of the reasons I like my Accuchek, it uses an AAA I think. One of those easy ones to find. The one in my BD logic, one of those circular thingies, is a BEAST to find. I went to CVS, Walmart, Kmart and finally a light bulb went on and I went to a local store we have here called "Batteries Plus" ~ all they sell is batteries... Anyway I showed it to the salesguy and he immediately said "oh, for a glucose meter" and had one. He says people come in all the time panicky because they can't find the round batteries for glucose meters. :mad:

rzrbks

What you're all talking about is exactly why I like having my InDuo.

I can't go anywhere without it. The blood meter and the insulin injecter are part of the same unit.

But then I am prejudiced, admittedly. :nerd: :whistling

am1977

It surprises me, too, that some people don't test that much! To me, it's the only true way of knowing where you stand in managing the disease. I test about 5 times a day, sometimes more, sometimes less (maybe 4 times). I just have the need to know and I feel more comfortable knowing where my blood sugar level is. If it's too high or low...I can treat.

I understand that some are scared of what they see. They almost take it a s a passing or failing grade, but how do some expect to manage the disease if they just let things go? I know it might be part of living in denial, but in the end not testing is, IMO, just going to lead to problems.

I, personally, have no problem testing. In fact, I'd like to test even more than I do (if insur. would cover :rolleyes: ). It was hard and it hurt at first, but now testing is just a miniscule thing that only takes a second, but is so essential to managing my diabetes.

Mario

The best way to worsen a problem is to ignore it. Even if your BG are high, you'll know the fact and be able to do something. If you don't know how high you are, how would you correct it ?

lgvincent

I don't check my blood sugar as often as I like, but I keep a few strips on hand. I have this fear of running out of insulin, especially, as well as glucose strips. It probably comes from my childhood. Even though I had no way to the drug store and had no money to buy insulin, my parents only had one vial of insulin on hand, the one I was using at the time, and I would get scolded whenever it ran out. I think it has had an impact on my feeling of never having enough insulin or strips on hand.

mark-TN

I agree that some poeple do not take testing seriously enough. I used to be one of them (up until about 2 years ago), but I now test a minimum of 7x per day:

Upon waking

2-3 hrs pp Breakfast

Before Lunch Bolus

2-3 hrs pp Lunch

Before Dinner Bolus

2-3 hrs pp Dinner

Bedtime (which is at least 5 hrs after Dinner Bolus).

On days that I workout (3-5days per week) I test at least before and after, and sometimes during.

On days that I change infusion sets (every 3 days) adds 1 or 2 additional reads.

On days when things are not going right (ie, illness, site problems, gremlins, etc) can add any number of more reads.

So I test any where from 7 to 10 or more times per day.

Mark

jeggeman31

Before I became insulin dependent I never checked my sugar. My very first Dr who told me I was diabetic back in 1990 told me that unless you take insulin, you don't need to test your sugar. So until I started taking insulin I never checked it once. Now however I check it 4 times a day, and some days more.

Harold

I agree about most people don't test enough. Knowing I have to check keeps me from taking that little bite when it's tempting. So it keeps me honest and even helps on the days I don't check.

:topic:

For those that are missing the post they made here earlier. I split the thread and split out all of the ones that mentioned batteries. Would have liked to have left copies of some of them here, but I did not have that option. You may want to do what I did and copy the part of your post that pertained to this thread and repost it here. Thanks Harold :D

gettingby

I test between 5-7X per day, depending on how I feel. Sometimes more but never less. Frequent testing has always been stressed by every doctor I have seen. :D

Dewey

At the moment, I test anywhere from 8 to 10 times per day. If I'm short on cash, I may go a little less, but absolutely try not to. This way, should any lows/highs try to come on, I can react more readily.

buzzborne
I only have ONE meter. I think it's a great idea to have at least two.

I now have 2 working ones thanks to LG :D

Funnygrl

At first I didn't test enough because it hurt like crazy for me. Then my CDE gave me a meter that takes less blood, an adjustable lancing device, finer lancets, and taught me how to use alternative sites. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!

Brent44a

I think of my meter like I do about pens and sunglasses. If I have bunch of them I tend to leave them everywhere but when I need one I can't seem to find it. I have one meter (Freestyle Flash) and one older backup. I keep the "Flash" with my bag in which I carry my emergency supplies (along with several other items), and it goes everywhere I do. Last night, I tested in the movie theater to lessen the impact of the tons of pocorn I like to eat :eek:

I record every test in a PDA and upload it to a software program I keep on my PC. I test between 5 and 7 times daily. I test that much because I remember how bad I felt before I got my bg levels under control. Since I'm stuck with this disease I'll live the best I can to overcome the daily and long-term complications. Testing helps do that :thumbsup:

duck

I have said here at least a million times that when I was in college in the early 90's I went at least a whole semester without testing...not once!

When I think about why, though, it was because I had to use my fingers back then...If you tested a lot, your fingers took a beating! And they looked like poop. Also, I am such a germ-a-phobe, it worried me to have this small, open wound on the surface of most exposed, most interactive parts of my body.

Anyway, Freestyle made my life a lot better. I feel like B.B. King now, without the ability to play guitar. ;)

MegaGirl42

I am suppose to test atleast 4 times a day(depending how I feel). But...to be honest I get busy and time flys by and I sometime I miss a test or two....... a day. I feel fine and my numbers are pretty regular after meals. The only problem is my morning fasting numbers(their too high). Someone here suggested I may suffer from Dawn Phenomenom, but I dont know.

Also I feel I cant test myself as much as I should because my incurance does not cover enough strips. And that REALLY sucks!!! They barley cover enough strips for 4x a day and they dont think about the errors and extras you need in case your not feeling right.

So I agree...People dont test enough.......but for multiple reasons. Some dont care, some forget, some cant because of their inc. and some cant because they dont have the money.

:mad:

duck
I am suppose to test atleast 4 times a day(depending how I feel). But...to be honest I get busy and time flys by and I sometime I miss a test or two....... a day. I feel fine and my numbers are pretty regular after meals. The only problem is my morning fasting numbers(their too high). Someone here suggested I may suffer from Dawn Phenomenom, but I dont know.

Also I feel I cant test myself as much as I should because my incurance does not cover enough strips. And that REALLY sucks!!! They barley cover enough strips for 4x a day and they dont think about the errors and extras you need in case your not feeling right.

So I agree...People dont test enough.......but for multiple reasons. Some dont care, some forget, some cant because of their inc. and some cant because they dont have the money.

:mad:

If your doctor makes a case for medical necessity for testing more often, your insurance company should cover more strips--if you want to test more often.

jeggeman31
If your doctor makes a case for medical necessity for testing more often, your insurance company should cover more strips--if you want to test more often.

I have tried this also, and my insurance company says NO. Strips, Lancits, Meters are not covered.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.