Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KourtneyHamilto

10 weeks pregnant still have lows

KourtneyHamilto

I am now 10 weeks pregnant and I am still having lows in the middle of the night. I've read that this will happen, but for how long?? Has anyone else had this? Even eating high protein snacks before bed and lowering my basal rate in 1/2 has not cut them out completely.

sarahspins

My experience, you're in for sudden lows for the duration, honestly.. the first trimester and early into the second is the worst part, because in addition to the lows your insulin needs also drop a bit. After 24-28 weeks the IR kicks in.

sjacob

My endocrinologist said I will not see an increase in my sugars until week 14, and not a big one until week 20. I am still having lows, too and it worries me...but I know that it is normal. My last A1c was 4.9...so my doc wants me to try to get it up a little.

camillenesler

I had lows all the way up until I got into the 2nd trimester, with all of my pregnancies, and I have been on insulin since i was 8. I am 38 now. It always seemed to happen in the middle of the night too, sometimes registering as low as 22!

I lowered my insulin dosage down to almost nothing and it still happened. The only thing I could do was to set my alarm clock for 2am every night, and get up and drink a glass of milk. Then by the time I got up at 6 am, it was at least around 80....

How early did your lows start? We started trying to conceive again last month, and I can't do a pregnancy test until next week, but for the last week I have been having the same symptoms again, crazy lows in the middle of the night for no reason, and also all through the day....

notti426

I am actually a labor and delivery nurse who is diabetic and has been for 28 years. :tongue: I am now 15+5 weeks pregnant and I also have been having terrible lows with my problems mostly during the night as well. Unfortunately for us, it's going to continue until probably in the mid 2nd trimester, around 24 weeks. That is what my doc are able to tell me anyway, but with as with everything it all comes down to each person is different and it can be different for each person.

I can tell you have a pump because you were talking about your basal rates-do you have the continuous glucose sensors as well? I just got them about a week ago and so far I like them, although they can be annoying with how often they alarm. That may be something for you to look into.

Do you see an endocrinologist? If so, maybe what you need to do is on a weekly basis, fax in your blood sugars and have your doc go over your results. He/she can then make adjustments for you so that it isn't so bad. That's what I have been doing, although I still seem to have problems getting totally in control of everything. I am feeling a bit frustrated because I think I am gaining more weight because I have to constantly be eating snacks to make sure my sugar is staying normal. :mad: I just wish that I could be having a normal carefree pregnancy!!!!! Good luck to you!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.