Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CarlyesHope

New Onset Diabetes at the age of 12

gettingby

Kelly,

As much as we would like to, we can't stop lows. We can try our best to prevent them but we can't completely stop them!!!!!!! We can only do our best.

CarlyesHope

Well then, this is going to seem like a stupid question, how do you get low if you are careful? I know mistakes happen, life happens etc. is there other things that can cause lows? I really want to prevent the lows like you guys have had.

Dewey

There are a myraid of factors that could cause an unexplained low, but as with everything else, they vary for each of us. For me, I've experienced lows (and sometimes highs) when in stressful situations (i.e. when my father died, my blood went low that morning, but I was so upset, I didn't want to eat). Some people's sugar becomes elevated because adrenalin is released, while others seem to remain unaffected by stress. It's really hard to say. One thing I can say is that constant testing is the key to tighter control. While it may not keep a low from happening (and, we can't protect loved ones forever from possible occurences), it will help you to spot any possible trends in sugars and make you more aware of when to keep an eye out for a drop. Other than that, it's almost like trying to protect one from a car accident. You can do everything in your power, but sometimes, it's an outside force that you cannot control. You just have to try your best, as Cin said.

CarlyesHope

I guess they don't want to tell you that when first diagnosed. might scare you off? Carlye was really good at "feeling" when her second 63 was coming on, for that I was happy. I have released carlye from her bubble and i have no intentions of letting her back in, so if we "crash", we crash, i was just under the wrong impression and really wondering if its time to doctor shop or if i should be doing more research - becuase of course i have all the time to do more!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.