Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CarlyesHope

New Onset Diabetes at the age of 12

CarlyesHope

Okay so now i've gone into all the pump sights.....

Which one is the right one???? UGH!! and UGH!!! some more!!!!

nantomsuethom

I did cry for days!! The day before he came back to school we met with his teachers, not only did I cry I had his teachers crying (we have known them for a few years). Everytime I would talk about it I cried.

Thomas uses the Animas pump (explained in pm). They all have their pros and cons. There is a website that lists them, I think it is diabetesmall.

Good luck.

archimeech

I was 13 when I was diagnosed, so I understand what your daughter is going through. Her life HAS changed, no doubt about it. You have to help her realize there is no use in worrying too much about the fact that it has happened. There is nothing she could have done to prevent it, and nothing she did to make it happen. It's just one of life's horrible little realities. I sobered up and matured way too soon at 13. I stopped enjoying as much in life and have had my fair share of depression. I am now turning 34 this June, have had diabetes for 20 years, and it's still a challenge. The one thing I would impress on her, is to accept it and begin taking care of herself as much as possible. I didn't start, truly, taking care of myself until my own daughter was born 7 years ago. it's hard (very hard) to be a teenager and have to deal with being different. The medicines and technology out there is far better now than it was 20 years ago and hopefully in my lifetime, if not in hers, they will figure out a realistic treatmant for this horrible affliction. Until then, my suggestion it to educate your whole family on diabetes and to stick with the message board. I've found invaluable information and comradery here, both of wich help imensely. It pains me, every time I hear of another child having diabetes. Just remember, it's not the end of her world, it's just that her world has been changed a little.

p.s. feel free to write me, I'll help if I can, as will others. Post often to the board. There are some other children and parents of children here, so she's safe speaking about her diabetes here. We're all 1 large extended family. Even if she just wants to vent her frustrations and work through her emotions, tell her to come by and type away. good luck,

Meech

p.p.s I personaly like the Animas IR1250. but it's up to what your insurance will help pay for and your personal preferences. I strongly suggest you make your daughter an active participant in all decisions regarding her health, from which pump to get, to what doctors she likes, to what to eat and how to prepare it. The faster she takes ownership of it, the better off she will be and the better her health will be in the long run.

archimeech

I don't like to dwell on it much, but I think it's time all of you know a little more about me. It may help wake up a few of the rest of you on the board to the power of depression and also the struggle that MarkMunday is going through with his daughter. don't take Teen anxiety/angst/depression lightly. It's a serious, serious problem that is amplified by all the homrones racing through an adolescent's body. I was diagnosed when I was 13 and I tried to kill myself shortly after my diagnoses. Take the time to listen, love, and accept your kids in general. Those of you with diabetic kids, please pay attention to any of the signs without going overboard and driving your kids away...

CarlyesHope

No offense guys .... but what a bunch of insensitive, well you know!

My husband, Carlyes stepdad, can't seem to understand what the problem was with school today? should have been like any other day?

Please tell me your first days back were not a piece of cake!! Mom/Ladies Please help!!

Kelly

nantomsuethom

Kelly,

Thomas' first day back was not too bad. Both of his 4th grade teachers had (have) someone in their family with diabetes. It also helped to meet with them the day before he went back to school.

I was a wreck though. I called the school several times and had him call me when he was going to lunch.

I think Carlye had a very normal reaction to going back to school. It is very scary. There is a really good book that would be good for Carlye to read, "Sugar Isn't Everything". I read it and Thomas is getting ready to read it. I will look, when I get home, to see who writes it and will let you know.

PepsiLvr

Basically, the only thing the dr said about the pump is that she still has to give herself a shot (though only once every three days) and that the sight of injection tends to get infected very often.

First, let me say WELCOME!!

Second, once your daughter gets under control a pump would be a GREAT idea. Don't listen to doctors who are trying to tell you otherwise. The pump will be a great benefit especially since she is still in school... she won't have to inject in school at all. I have a pump and 99% of people don't even know it's there. It makes life MUCH easier.

As far as the infection stuff, I have had a pump for over 1 year now and have NEVER had an infection. Just make sure you use IV prep or alchol before inserting the infusion set.

Diabetes is hard to deal with, especially for the first few months but it does eventually become second nature. Hang in there!!

mg_2204

Kelly, my heart goes out to you. My children don't have diabetes (I do) but, as a mother, I know what you must be going through at the moment. I am no great expert and many people here will be better at giving you precious advice and info... but I thought it was important to welcome you and also to tell you you have found the best place for support and understanding.

Please, don't stay alone in this. And whatever problems you and your daughter may encounter, here you will always find understanding, support, and advice to get you through.

A great big hug to you. Take good care!

CarlyesHope

Diabetes. I thought it was the end of the world, but I found out life could be much more worse. Here is my story. Hi my name is Carlye. I was diagnosed with diabetes on Tuesday March 8, 2005. I was having a regular month except my mom was concerned about my aches, dry skin and rapid weight loss. She took me to the doctor and he said these were all positive signs of being diabetic. I was in tears. I couldn’t believe it. I thought that my life was over. I had to go to the emergency room right after my appointment. From 4:30 that day till 2:00 on Friday March 11, I was in the hospital. I was constantly crying my eyes out. My whole family came to see me. My Grandma Kathy, Grandpa Bob, cousin Corinne, sister Tiffany, Uncle Greg, Uncle Steve, Aunt Lisa, Grandpa, and my dad. I even had my best friend Brian come and see me along with my mom’s friend Jim. I got lots of attention. I got tons of balloons and stuffed animals. Everybody I saw all reassured me that I would be able to live a normal life. My Grandpa told me he had. I felt a little better. Doctors and my parents were always saying that I can still be an active girl and eat what ever I want, but I had to always know to have my insulin. The one thing I knew I would not do is give myself a shot or make myself bleed. I was always saying that is not what a normal kid does, but soon I was already doing it myself. My parents say I am a brave girl, I believe them now. Having diabetes doesn’t mean that I am any different than I was, now I am just a little more organized. If there is one thing I have to say about diabetes it’s that it makes you special because now you are unique, you have a personality, a new form of life. Even though I have type one diabetes, I still pig out, eat what I want and hang with my friends.

Moms words: This was after talking with a friend, after not finishing school today, after hating her life this morning... is this a good sign??

Belinda

It seems to me that she is slowly coming to terms with it....that is great. I didn't cry when I found out but my mom did and my dad basically ran....(didn't come to the hospital while there for 2 wks but he called 2 's a day, never watched me give myself a shot etc...) Everyone is different and processes information at a variety of rates. Just don't make everything about diabetes right now....she was use to doing things without it before...so go to a movie (don't get food just diet coke), go to the mall shopping, record store etc....what ever she likes to do and try not to mention diabetes during that time (unless you decide to eat or need to check bs) this will hopefully help her see that everything does not revolve around the fact she has diabetes. There is an olympic swimmer that is diabetic, Halle Berry is diabetic and they still go on. As she comes to terms with it all will be a blurr of how terrible it was at first...

;)

gettingby

To Carlye: WAY TO GO GIRL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I had faith that you would be ok. It's a tough road but we are here for you. :D

To Mom : See, I knew she would finally come around. Diagnosis seems to be the toughest time. As you and she learn more, things will become like second nature. It will get a little easier day by day. Remember that not only are we here for Carlye, but we are here for you and the rest of the family. If I can help in any way, please don't hesitate to send me a PM or email. :D

CarlyesHope

I don't think we're there yet, yesterday was a bad day, this morining was worse. After talking to friends, she feels better, but who knows what tomorrow will bring when she has to go back to school again....

did you guys get headaches when you first went on the insulin?

nantomsuethom

It was great hearing (reading) from Carlye. :thumbsup: Carlye it is tough going right now but you will get the hang of it and it will soon be 2nd nature.

Thomas did get headaches at first and still does occassionally.

Is Carlye in middle school? Hopefully tomorrow will be a lot easier for her. Like Cin said everyday does get a little easier. :)

CarlyesHope

Carlye is in Middle School, 7th Grade.

I worry about the headaches, i suffer from migranes and it is something i don't want to add to her list of woes.

I am leary of this sudden up-turn, i am expecting a big fall....

koblenz

Carlye: I don't know you, but I am proud of you. It takes guts, an open mind and a tough soul; all of which you seem to have. It will take some time to get used to the new you, but you will be just FINE.

Mom: DITTO!

On starting insulin:

I had headache's for just a few days, but they were not bad. Have not had any since (except when the wife gets mad and whacks me over the head)!

One thing to watch out for is possible blurry vision for some period of time. When I started on insulin, my eyes got so blurry for about 3 weeks I could not see to watch TV. They have since gone back to normal and I am no worse for wear. I am told that this is a fairly common side affect of starting insulin after being diagnosed. FYI... of course no one told me that at first and I FREAKED OUT! Looking back, it was actually kinda funny...

gettingby

Carlye's Mom,

As you have probably noticed by now, we use humor quite often on here. Helps to make the tough situations a little easier. :D

nantomsuethom

I have a daughter in 7th grade.

It's probably hard to get in with each teacher this time of year. I already have a letter typed up for each of Thomas' teachers for next year. When we go to open house (the day before school starts) I am going to give each teacher the letter and a copy of his 504 plan. Hopefully that will make it a little easier. Knowing that there is no nurse at the middle school makes me a little nervous but my school (if I get to stay here) is only a mile away.

Thomas never had headaches before he was diagnosed. He seems to get them when I have to increase his insulin, but not bad ones.

CarlyesHope

Caryle's teachers all know and are all very supportive, thank god! she has made it through today but i now claiming again that her stomach is upset.....here we go again.... :(

okay carlye is making me put this in :stupid:

am1977

Carlye sounds quite grown up and mature for her age. Accepting a dx such as Diabetes isn't easy by any means. I truly believe that we go through stages...you know, anger, denial, until finally acceptance. She will get there- it will take time, but she'll get there.

As for the headaches, it probably goes along with adjusting to her changing blood sugar levels. Right after diagnosis, I felt like crap too. I don't know if it was headaches per se, but I just felt off. Finally, as my numbers started getting more regulated, I felt better. Give it some time, the headaches will pass.

Just like all of us here, Carlye, and probably yourself, will have good and bad days. Some days all of us want to scream, rant and rave, cry, and just throw a big pity party for ourselves, but somehow we manage to get through it. She will probably experience those type of days. Let her feel that way if that's how she feels. It's perfectly normal and she has every right to how she feels. So do you. Of course seeing your child go through something like this is tough. Tough probably even is too weak of a word. I've always thought having the disease is very, very hard. However, I'm not sure if it's as hard as watching a loved one deal with the daily stress of this disease. I hope you know that both you and Carlye can post and express your feelings here anytime. We're certainly here for you and if we can help in any way, I know we will try.

I hope that you feel a little better :) Like others have said, it will get better and easier each day. Take it one day at a time.

Take care :)

HeatherP

That is a GREAT first step Carlye and Kelly!

One day at a time. Don't expect everything is going to be perfect, just keep learning. It sounds like your friends are great and they love you.

Carlye, I'm glad to hear you're feeling better about things. I've had my share of depression, and difficult days (due to Diabetes and other things). Don't let Diabetes hold you back in life. You're going to meet some people who have the attitude that you won't be able to do some things. They are wrong - you can do anything you want. You'll be okay - look at the rest of us! We're okay and you will be too!

*hug*

Take care,

Heather

nantomsuethom

The book I mentioned earlier:

Sugar Isn't Everything by Willo Davis Roberts

I read this before Thomas. I made me cry and smile. ;)

I hope Carlye has a great day, and you to mom.

CarlyesHope

Well, were off and running today. Carlye is at school, no tears (from her) she is happy (on the outside), and is looking forward to seeing her friends. Her principle says all the teachers want to see her today even if she doesn't say in school - - all want to give hugs! Carye didn't want to be late for class so she made me hurry up - usually its the other way around... how funny. guess we'll see how the day goes. I can't see how things can turn around this quickly, i fear that she is just putting on a brave face and keeping everything inside....

daddyo

Carlye hang in their it takes time to get used to this but you will I've had diabetes since I was 20 yrs old my daughter has had it for 15 years kidd'o as I call her got it when she was seven she still has good and bad days we all do but as long as you control it you can live a fairly normal life we both have kidd'o is 22 now and doing well I would like to see her test more often but other than that she's a normal 22 yr old I myself doing good on a pump now which I find much better at control and leading a more regular lifestyle I would recomend it I'm a carpenter and build and remodel homes everyday no problem with the pump and I live in michigan also so hang in there and try and stay warm and mom things will be fine just give it some time it's alot to get used to at a young age

ang

i was diagnosed at age 6 and don't remember not being diabetic. i kind of see that as a sort of blessing. i feel for your daughter, this is a big change in her life. but what i think helped me most to grow up normally was that my parents didn't treat me any differently and didn't baby me. its a fact of life and i never felt held back by my disease at all. its a tough balance though between taking good care and being concerned and "babying". some days i just wish it would all go away but then i think that if i didn't have the disease i wouldn't be the person i am today. i'm 25, graduated from university, have a steady good paying job (even if it is with an evil pharmaceutical company, haha), recently bought a house, have great friends and great family. i'm pretty proud to say that i think between my parents and i we did a pretty good job. okay, enough tooting my own horn. hopefully she'll realize that diabetes doesn't define who she is or what she can't become what she wants to be, its just something she has to deal with. just like shaving her legs (eventually), don't like to do it, but i still deal with it! pretty lame anaolgy i know but i think it gets the point across. good luck. pretty soon you'll both be pros and wonder what all the fuss is about!

Catie and Emily

Hey carlyes mom. You have came to a good site. There are lots of great and wonderful people that help out alot and everything. I am a 15 2/3 yr old girl with type 1. I was diagnosed on my 15th birthday on june 17th, 04. I had gotten used to it before the new school year started. Since then my twin sister Emily was also diagnosed on jan 30th, 05 during the school year. We have had lots going on such as you and your family. I hope all goes well. Yes she sounds like a brave, strong, and mature girl.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.