Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

princesslinda

How to Become a Joslin Medalist/Posted for Richard157

princesslinda

How To Become A Joslin Medalist

There is a link below containing information about the Joslin Medalist Program. They want proof that you have been a diabetic for at least 50 years. When I saw that form a few years ago I thought I could not join because my parents were deceased, my doctor from my diagnosis year was deceased and the hospital where I was admitted keeps records for only the past 10 years. I had no proof I had diabetes for at least 50 years. Then I found that I could have my sister and cousin write letters telling about their memories of what happened in those early years after I was diagnosed . They sent their letters to me and I sent them along with my application form to the Joslin Diabetes Center in Boston, MA. They were accepted as proof and I received the medal.

If you want the medal, you have had diabetes for at least 50 years, and you have proof then it is easy to apply. If you do not have proof then you can have people who knew you during the year you were diagnosed or the next few years after the diagnosis write letters for you. Two or three letters are requested if there is no other proof you can give them.

Here is the link containing the application form. You have to use a printer and run off a copy of the application form. You can also call Joslin and tell them you are applying and ask questions.

http://www.joslin.org/diabetes-resea...t_program.html

The person you can contact for additional information is given below:

Sarah.Turek@joslin.harvard.edu

Internal Extension: 4345

SCC

Thanks to you both. In January, I will hit 46 years. I think I will ask my mom to write a letter now. I used to have a diary in my 11-year old handwriting, not sure if I still do.

Steal

Thank you for posting this. I have a long way to go to hit 50 years, but find it so inspiring to read/know that there are those out there that are strong and healthy.

Richard157

Steph, there are thousands of Joslin medalists and many more waiting in the wings. I have read recent articles that say that the life expectancy of type 1 diabetics in the US is very close to that of non diabetics. If we take good care of ourselves we can have long, healthy lives.

Richard

Richard157

Very good, Steph! Many people do not realize there is a 25 year certificate. There are also many people who do not realize there are medals offered for 50 and 75 years of type 1. I found out in 2006, and had been T1 for 61 years at that time.

Richard157

Thanks Steph, I have considered submitting my story, but haven't done so. After I wrote my book that is being sold on amazon.com, I have not been inspired to write my story again, and again,.... Lol!

lgvincent

I might have to try that . . . provided I live another six years. (Thanks for the information!)

jnapadow

This is very cool.  I'm normally not one for awards but this is an exception.  Going on 37 years Type 1. :D

briargate

Thanks Richard, It will be 50 years in August for me,  I was wondering how I could prove this. I will get my siblings to start writing, their letters for me to send. 

ramon

Wish they had a gold, silver and bronze. This is real nice of them to do something like this. Very inspiring for all of us.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.