Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sarah3982

T2 Previously Uncontrolled & Preg. Help!!!

sarah3982

Hello All:

Brand new to this site. My name is Sarah.

I am a type 2 diabetic, have been since I was 15, am now 27 I just found out about 5 weeks ago that I am expecting a baby in May. I am currently 9.5 weeks pregnant and am completely terrified of a pregnancy that is not viable or an inevitable miscarriage. Which would surely break my heart.

Over the last four weeks, I have strayed away from caffeine, alcohol, and watched foods that are high in sugar, and have even coverted from no insulin/control, to taking Novalin R and Novalin N. Although I am trying now, I am certain my A1C will be somewhere between 11-14% once tested at a doctor's office.

Which seems to be another concern. Every OB GYN I call and try to make an initial appointment to get in and get prental care doesnt seem to have any sense of urgancy o get me in quickly (at 9, almost 10 weeks) to get proper prenatal care, get me on a specific, diet, or make sure by glucose levels and BC are in check. Also, when I inquire about testing being done in the next few weeks ( a CVS Sampling or an AFP, to test for early detection of any defect or organs not properly forming.) They tell me..."oh probably not, and if so, not after 15 weeks."

I am not sure if this is standard, or off.

Also, all I read whether, its in a medical book, pregnancy information brochure from a doctor's office, or the internet..is that my baby is probably doomed to have birth defects, be born to large, spontaneously abort in the first or second trimerster, or even worse, become a still birth. The nurse practioner, and endrocronologist I spoke with a nutrition/pregnancy center told me It's probably not viable because of my A1C levels and uncontrolled sugar pre pregnancy.

Someone please help me. Any encouragement, or stories of women in a similar situation as mewould be great to read. At this point I am trying to be happy, but also feel hopeless.

genie86333

My mom was diabetic when she was pregnant with me & even though that was in a time when there was no home blood monitoring, I was perfectly fine, although large. And my mom had poor (by today's standards) control - the only tool for measuring glucose levels was testing to see how much sugar was in her urine & it wasn't a case of *if* but *how much* which meant her blood sugar was always quite high.

When I was pregnant with my older daughter, I didn't get medical care until I was about 5 months along...even after I went to the doctor & was diagnosed w/ gestational diabetes (although I believe it was probably undiagnosed type 2 even then) they did nothing to control it - just told me to watch sugar intake. My daughter was very big when she was born but totally healthy! My other daughter (born 2 years later) was also totally healthy (she had some complications because she swallowed & inhaled blood during the c-section, but nothing from me having diabetes).

The biggest thing, I'm told, that you have to worry about is breakdown of the placenta, which can happen late in pregnancy, especially if you go overdue...most doctors will induce before that becomes an issue and will do more monitoring (stress tests & ultrasounds) in the last month or so of pregnancy.

italianmama
Hello All:

Brand new to this site. My name is Sarah.

I am a type 2 diabetic, have been since I was 15, am now 27 I just found out about 5 weeks ago that I am expecting a baby in May. I am currently 9.5 weeks pregnant and am completely terrified of a pregnancy that is not viable or an inevitable miscarriage. Which would surely break my heart.

Over the last four weeks, I have strayed away from caffeine, alcohol, and watched foods that are high in sugar, and have even coverted from no insulin/control, to taking Novalin R and Novalin N. Although I am trying now, I am certain my A1C will be somewhere between 11-14% once tested at a doctor's office.

Which seems to be another concern. Every OB GYN I call and try to make an initial appointment to get in and get prental care doesnt seem to have any sense of urgancy o get me in quickly (at 9, almost 10 weeks) to get proper prenatal care, get me on a specific, diet, or make sure by glucose levels and BC are in check. Also, when I inquire about testing being done in the next few weeks ( a CVS Sampling or an AFP, to test for early detection of any defect or organs not properly forming.) They tell me..."oh probably not, and if so, not after 15 weeks."

I am not sure if this is standard, or off.

Also, all I read whether, its in a medical book, pregnancy information brochure from a doctor's office, or the internet..is that my baby is probably doomed to have birth defects, be born to large, spontaneously abort in the first or second trimerster, or even worse, become a still birth. The nurse practioner, and endrocronologist I spoke with a nutrition/pregnancy center told me It's probably not viable because of my A1C levels and uncontrolled sugar pre pregnancy.

Someone please help me. Any encouragement, or stories of women in a similar situation as mewould be great to read. At this point I am trying to be happy, but also feel hopeless.

hello, i just posted pretty much th same thing as you did, lol without knowning . but i also need help i'm scared i'm on N and R and can't lower my blood sugar

what do you think, i don't think, i've been his scared before or nurves and i don't know anyone with anyhing like this before so i don't know anyone that i can turn too. thank yoou

ciseinc
Hidden
hello, i just posted pretty much th same thing as you did, lol without knowning . but i also need help i'm scared i'm on N and R and can't lower my blood sugar

what do you think, i don't think, i've been his scared before or nurves and i don't know anyone with anyhing like this before so i don't know anyone that i can turn too. thank yoou

That's a very interesting topic. But this field is still new to me. It will be grateful if you give me some

more information about it. Thanks in advance.

Faire simulation pret personnel en ligne | Faire calcul taux pret personnel en ligne | Demander un financement simulation credit personnel

sugarsmacks

Kind of late in the game, response-wise, but I hope that all is well with your pregnancy. It's scary enough when you are pregnant and have a condition that is a factor for a high-risk pregnancy, let alone the angst and self-blame you may go through at the thought of your condition harming the fetus in any way. I've been pregnant 3 times, the last two I've had to wear an insulin pump which is a dual sword in my book since insulin makes me blow up like a balloon and then I need MORE insulin because I'm getting bigger..darn vicious circle but I digress.

You having Type 2 does NOT mean the baby will be come out of you instantly Diabetic. The baby WILL have a drop in blood sugar but it is caught and treated in a timely manner. If you choose to breastfeed, demand an artificial feeding system when that happens so that your baby gets your breast still and will not lead to breastfeeding difficulties later.

As for the care you receive during your pregnancy, most OB's will ship you to the perinatology department for monthly growth scans of your baby, fetal echocardiograms and such, to monitor and manage your Diabetes as well.

I was always worried about Hypoglycemia and the pump. I used to get alot of lows when I first started pumping but the assurance was there that it doesn't affect the baby unless it goes over a period of 24 hours AND, the baby will always take sugar first before you get it. So the jittery shakes and sweats that you treat, take comfort that the baby is doing okay.

If they (perinatology) put you on a diet plan (and they will, rest assured), try to follow it as best you can. If you have to use insulin (I'm also using Metformin for this pregancy), they will help you with your basal rates. DO NOT be afraid to address any concerns or questions with either the Perinatology department or your OB. Whether it's a twinge, cramping or fetal movement, you're paying them to take care of you and get you and your baby through this process. Sometimes it does seem like things can be overwhelming but you need to relax, things will be okay.

Again, I hope you are doing well with your pregnancy as this thread hasn't had activity in it for some time.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.