Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Larry H.

Applesauce, Soy Cup Cake or Bars.

Larry H.

Hello all:

My experimentation with Soy four has lead me to share this simple an low carb desert. Its a variation from my Moms original recipe. Soy four by its nature doesn't want to raise well, so the effect while less cake like is more of a flat bar, but the taste is still good. Here is how I put it together.

Sift on paper Just under 1 cup of soy flour with;

1 Teaspoon of baking Soda

3/4 Teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 Teaspoon Cloves (crushed)

1/4 Teaspoon salt

1/4 Teaspoon allspice.

Wash and soak in warm water a heaping 1/4 cup of raisins.

Meanwhile, cream together 1 cup splenda,

1/2 cup smart balance

l egg, or a bit more in egg beaters.

Beat with egg beater till smooth.

Add 1/2 cup applesauce

Drain Raisins.

Add flour mixture in thirds to the batter and mix well, then stir in raisins. ( I also added about a 1/4 cup chopped nuts).

Spread in sprayed baking pan. I used a glass dish that was about 7 x 11. (you can also make them in paper cup cake holders).

Bake in 350 oven

Pan method bakes in about 35 minutes, test for done.

Cup Cakes about 20 minutes.

After it cooled I cut it into eight bars. Served with sugar free cool whip spread on top.

It originally called for a maple icing. I wasn't sure how to create that yet, but Mom thought it might be possible to make it from fat free cream cheese and maple flavoring and splenda.

This is a half recipe from the large sheet cake pan recipe. I would try the smaller version till you see if it suits your taste. I plan to try some ideas to increase the lightness of the product, but for now served as a bar its still quite tasty. You might want a bit less cloves or other spice than we used. It was pretty spicy but I liked I liked that way.

If you try it give me some feedback as to the results? It would seem the carbs per serving should be somewhere around 10 taking the ingredients into account divided by 8.

genie86333

Hmmmm...sounds pretty tasty. I'll have to pick up some soy flour next month when I go "to town" to go shopping. I'll let you know what I think when I do.

valc3

Made this tonight. Nice and light. I used a 10in square pan and cut it into 9 servings. The nutritional breakdown I got is : Cal 62, Carb 9.6. This doesn't include any nuts.

Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Larry H.

Smart Balance is a butter substitute that is made from olive and other healthy oils to avoid trans-fats and leans to beneficial ones instead. You may have something similar to it there?

Larry H.
Made this tonight. Nice and light. I used a 10in square pan and cut it into 9 servings. The nutritional breakdown I got is : Cal 62, Carb 9.6. This doesn't include any nuts.

Thanks for sharing the recipe.

If your an experimenter of any kind you may have some thoughts on getting it a bit fluffier than it is. Although once I got used to the flat bar type treat it still worked and I think its better a day or two later as the spices blend. I intend to give a try to a bit less flour and beaten egg whites blended in at the last in order to maybe make it raise some. If that isn't successful I still think its a nice treat for very low carbs. Thanks for your report.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.