Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rob43

HOPE in treating my Diabetes.

morrisma

Fun short term, bad long term unless you like carrots and celery Rob. Sound like moderation rather than abandonment might be a better course.

Mike

Rob43

Why should I treat diabetes when I cann't get answers from two diabetic doctors and the people on here? Why should even try? Been the ER four times this year without any help. Been on blood thinner for seven years to find out it was a waste of money and time one doctor has told me. In the eyes of doctors we are lifetime patients that make them money.

Rob

e||ement

rob...no one here WANTS to be doing this.

and, most people here have issues with doctors.

asking for advice on the forum is a good resource, but everyone's diabetes and treatment/management is individual.

if you've truly resolved to "quit" then so be it. that's your choice, although a truly unfortunate one.

to your question of "why should i even try?"...that's not something anyone here can answer. YOU have to want to live a long, healthy life. no one here can make you want that. the only other answer i can come up with is "because you CAN."

think about people who have diseases that can't be managed...they would swap with you in a heartbeat, i would guess.

otherwise, you know the risks of uncontrolled diabetes. they are your risks to take.

i hope you change your mind.

Rddoms

If your doctors aren't helping you, then get a new doc! Doctors don't make anymore money if you are sick rather than healthy, you just need to find the right doc. I am currently in medical school, and I can assure you that doctors would rather have healthy diabetic patients. I went to four different doctors until I found the right one, and yes it pissed me off.

You say that you have been to the ER 4 times w/o help, and thus should ignore your disease? That is BS! What do you think will happen if you forget about it? You will die a slow and painful death, period.

I'm sorry that I'm being a bit aggressive, but I spent a few years ignoring my illness. Will there be any side effects due to my inattention? Who knows. My life got so much better when I started taking care of myself, and I hate seeing people going down the same path as I was a few years ago. You need to start by finding the right doctor for you, and then things will start falling into place. Please don't stop treating your disease!!!

jillybean
Why should I treat diabetes when I cann't get answers from two diabetic doctors and the people on here? Why should even try? Been the ER four times this year without any help. Been on blood thinner for seven years to find out it was a waste of money and time one doctor has told me. In the eyes of doctors we are lifetime patients that make them money.

Rob

#1 - Find a doctor who will listen.

#2 - If #1 does not work, do your own research for answers.

#3 - What questions have gone unanswered here? I recommend posting on the Type 2 section, not here - this general area tends to get fewer responses, likely due to less traffic.

foxl
If your doctors aren't helping you, then get a new doc! Doctors don't make anymore money if you are sick rather than healthy, you just need to find the right doc. I am currently in medical school, and I can assure you that doctors would rather have healthy diabetic patients. I went to four different doctors until I found the right one, and yes it pissed me off.

You say that you have been to the ER 4 times w/o help, and thus should ignore your disease? That is BS! What do you think will happen if you forget about it? You will die a slow and painful death, period.

I'm sorry that I'm being a bit aggressive, but I spent a few years ignoring my illness. Will there be any side effects due to my inattention? Who knows. My life got so much better when I started taking care of myself, and I hate seeing people going down the same path as I was a few years ago. You need to start by finding the right doctor for you, and then things will start falling into place. Please don't stop treating your disease!!!

I agree to both -- get a new physician whom you TRUST, and yet ... it is STILL up to you. Ignore them all at only your own peril. I understand the frustration and attitude -- already went thru it with lipids. You truly have only yourself to handle this. We will help, the support here is tremendous. No matter what any MD tells you, it must come from YOU.

dbaratta
I'm going to go back and eating anything I want.

Everybody feels this way from time to time. Don't do that to yourself.......this feeling will pass and if it doesn't talk to your doc and have him help you.

I get frustrated all the time. I don't have super great numbers like some people in this forum. I am not going to eat myself to death though, I am going to adjust and keep on adjusting until I get it right. I have a doc appt in December and if I don't get to where I want to be by then I will make him adjust my meds.

Josselyn

Hello, Rob.

You are free to do as you wish, obviously. But if you truly do as you've stated, then over time you are feeding into that mentality by making yourself a lifetime patient who will eventually become very physically dependent on these same doctors.

We determine the extent of our health care involvements, personally and professionally. Please don't let your frustrations with the medical community you're involved with negatively affect the way you treat yourself. I mean, really, who are you hurting with that choice? :confused:

Which questions were you asking on the Forums that you didn't receive assistance with?

I'm somewhat surprised by that.

I've had my frustrations, too...and recently.

I hope you're just venting right now, and you soon realize that the only person in charge of your care is you...and if you abdicate that responsibility, then it doesn't matter who your doctor is.

I hope you get back to taking care of yourself, and that you're feeling better soon.

sarahspins

I've been through NINE endocrinologists in just as many years.... sometimes it takes a while to find one you really get along with well. I've left practices for reasons that had very little to do with the doctors as well.

What are the problems you are having? Honestly I looked through all of the threads you've posted recently, and apart from ONE thread on insulin from a few months ago I don't really see where you've actually asked for help from anyone.. I suggested at the time that I suspect you're not taking enough insulin for your needs. I still stand by that statement. From reading some of your posts it sounded like you were still eating "whatever you wanted".

If what you are currently doing is "not working" then you need to figure out why - maybe you need different dosages, maybe you need different meds, maybe you need to seriously reevaluate your diet, but there is NO reason to give up.

Rob43

My two doctor's are endocrinologists. One has over 10,000 patients I've been told. This town has only one endocrinologist for over 100,000 people. My other one is in Nashville. My BG today is 450 with me taking shots which is 40 units. All I drink all day is water with Lemon and don't eat much and still my BG is high. I've never been over 500 in all the years of having diabetes.

Rob

adiantum

Rob I'm not in tune with your 'shots' but it's obviously not doing the job so time to change type. It's time to change doctors as well. There are some really good GP's so you dont necessarily need an endo. I cant recall your questions here so I either missed them or didn't have an answer.

Are you getting exercise? Even the wheelchair bound must exercise.

We have a better health care system here but even with that I still dont want to make such claims.It's easier to fight the battle with D then to eat up & take the consequences.

You are a valued member of our community so please let us try to keep you with us.

fgummett
My BG today is 450 with me taking shots which is 40 units. All I drink all day is water with Lemon and don't eat much and still my BG is high.
Ok Rob.. you've been here on DF enough to know that if you are asking for advice we need a lot more specific detail than that...

When was that BG of 450mg/dl taken?

How long since you ate?

What did you eat?

What type of insulin(s) are in your 40 units and when do you take it/them?

How fresh is the insulin... any chance the bottle is out of date, became too hot at some time or in other ways is "bad"?

What do you eat in a typical day? How many grams of carbohydrate?

How active are you?

Answer these question -- in detail -- and I suspect you will get a flood of advice.

---

Your profile has you as Type 2, aged 49 and taking "2000 mgs of Metformin a day and on insulin Novolog Mix 70/30 flexpens. Use pen three times a day." is this information still correct..?

dbaratta
My two doctor's are endocrinologists. One has over 10,000 patients I've been told. This town has only one endocrinologist for over 100,000 people. My other one is in Nashville. My BG today is 450 with me taking shots which is 40 units. All I drink all day is water with Lemon and don't eat much and still my BG is high. I've never been over 500 in all the years of having diabetes.

Rob

Lemon? what kind of lemon, natural? I ask because lemon in water for me would give me some high BG readings, plus not eating gives me high BG due to liver dump......

it is frustraging I know.....

Gary_W

Hello Rob,

I agree with Frank's post above - give more details about what is going on and ask some specific questions. You'll get advice.

One of the worst things about having diabetes (for me anyway) is that feeling of 'what now???' which comes where the ****ed thing is giving you grief and you really cannot figure out why. For me, as long as I know WHY something is happening and can come up with a plan then I'll be OK. It's when I just 'don't get it' that I start to get feelings similar to yours in terms of 'why bother, as nothing I do works'.

You need to re-frame this. Something will work, it's just you haven't tried the right 'something' yet. And unless you've tried every 'something' at least twice then you can't give up as the one you haven't tried may well be the answer!

lark 27

I thinksome good advice has been given thus far, but one more thought. Have you spent much time with certified diabetes educators. Have them start at square one and educate you like it's all brand new. they tend to have more time than endo's and it's their job to educate (meaning make sure you learn and not just making sure they tell you something.)

good luck and one thing I've learned from this site is that SUCCESS IS POSSIBLE!

Rob43

Ok Rob.. you've been here on DF enough to know that if you are asking for advice we need a lot more specific detail than that...

When was that BG of 450mg/dl taken? 10:00 AM before eating something.

How long since you ate? 6 hours.

What did you eat? Tell you the truth I ate at Taco Bell. Eat very little home cooked meals. Eat out most of the time.

What type of insulin(s) are in your 40 units and when do you take it/them? Take two shots a day, Novolog Mix 70/30

How fresh is the insulin... any chance the bottle is out of date, became too hot at some time or in other ways is "bad"? On my last two days before running out on this pen.

What do you eat in a typical day? How many grams of carbohydrate? Fast food, Burger King, Hardies, Taco Bell. Instead of drinking pop I Drink water with real lemons,

How active are you? Walk every other day and it's about 2 miles.

Answer these question -- in detail -- and I suspect you will get a flood of advice.

---

Your profile has you as Type 2, aged 49 and taking "2000 mgs of Metformin a day and on insulin Novolog Mix 70/30 flexpens. Use pen Three times a day." is this information still correct..? No, Take shot's only twice a day. One before eating in the morning and one before dinner. Each shot is 16 units and more if BG is high in 400's.

Thanks, Rob

jenb

Rob - I looked through some of your earlier postings and found that you are using 70/30 insulin. I do not see how anyone can control blood sugar with a mix. Ask your Dr. to switch you to separate basal and bolus insulin like Levemir and Novolog. The doctor will set your initial basal rate and probably give you a sliding scale for the rapid-acting insulin. Then get either "Think Like a Pancreas" by Gary Scheiner or "Using Insulin" by John Walsh and follow the instructions for basal testing and setting. Either book can also assist you in understanding your insulin to carb ratio and will discuss carb counting.

Perhaps you just need to find the right tools, including modifying your diet and including exercise in addition to the correct medication. Your frustration is understandable, but there are solutions if you are open to them.

Don't let your diabetes go untreated. The downside is too great.

Jen

Granny Shanny

Since your original post stated you wish to go back to eating anything you want, may I safely assume that all this fast food is NOT what you want? What kinds of meals will you be going with, if you go ahead and eat anything you want?

soso

Hi Rob

I think if you get on a good fast acting insulin, you will do much better even eating at fast food eateries(if that's what you want or have to do) I think all fast food places post their nutritional info online and you could just print it out and keep it handy. A combination of rapid insulin and carb counting will probably dramatically improve your numbers and your outlook....

Don't lose heart...

davef
Tell you the truth I ate at Taco Bell. Eat very little home cooked meals. Eat out most of the time.

What do you eat in a typical day? How many grams of carbohydrate? Fast food, Burger King, Hardies, Taco Bell. Instead of drinking pop I Drink water with real lemons,

Rob,

I'm not using Insulin so I don't have much advice to offer there, however if you are only taking a basal insulin, and eating fast food I would think you will not be able to control your diabetes. I would think you NEED a fast acting insulin.

You say you are going back to eating what you want, if you mostly eat fast food, does this mean the only change you have made is to drink water with lemon juice?

As has been said, part of you problem could be the lemon juice, I'm not sure how I would react to lemon juice but suspect it would send me high. Especially if I was to drink alot of it.

Are your Doctors aware of what you are eating? Frank hit the nail on the head by asking you what you eat, as without that information we would have been left thinking that you are being careful about what you eat and that you have made changes, to be honest it really does not look like you have made many changes at all. If you don't want to make changes (and that's your choice) then you NEED to talk to your doctor and talk about a rapid insulin to try and cope with what you are eating.

fgummett

OK so we have a bit more detail Rob, but what exactly are you eating at those fast food places? Not drinking pop is a good start but how about skipping the burger-bun and the fries as well? What sauces do you use? Do they have salads or low-carb options? How many grams of carbs are you eating at each meal... each day..?

You say you had a BG of 450mg/dl after a 6 hour fast? What was it before the fast? How often do you test?

I can't imagine trying to manage with a mix insulin... unless you have a rigid schedule where you eat at the same time and amount every day, sleep set hours, and are equally active every day -- I had a Type 1 D friend at school (many years ago) and his day was pretty much regimented around his D -- somehow I get the impression your day is not quite that organised?

Can you talk to your Doctor about MDI with a sliding scale of fast acting insulin and a slow acting basal? Of course that may require more work and discipline on your part -- at least initially -- and simply "covering" carbohydrates with insulin is a recipe for weight gain and increased Insulin Resistance... but it could at least gain you some improved BG control.

There is no simple quick fix that I am aware of... control is going to require you stepping up and taking it yourself... with the help of your Health Care Providers including your Doctor... and DF is always open for suggestions and support.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.