Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jasmine4355

H1N1 flu vaccine?

jasmine4355

Thank you to everyone who responded to my last thread. This forum has offered a great deal of comfort! I was wondering what many of you thought about the swine flu vaccine? Have any of you gotten it yet? I know I'm prime canidate being pregnant and diabetic, but I've also heard horror stories. Any thoughts?

imac

According to the information that I have here, you are in the high risk group on both counts, I had the vaccine about three weeks ago and had no bad effects from it at all.

Katrina Stovold

I also had the shot a few weeks ago, no side effects what so ever, I am a pregnant type 1 diabetic who works as a health care work, so also was a perfect candidate. Easy, do it, its free and good for peace of mind!

barbarac

Would get it if I could find it. No one has it--not drug stores, not Health department, not hospital or Dr.'s offices. Got the regular flu shot, but can't even find that now for my grandkids. Grandkids will get the Swine flu (H1N1) in late December at school they say now--we will see. I have had no such luck. Kind of makes you wonder--if the government can mess up on vaccines for something they knew was coming, what will they do with harder medical things. Scares me!! They didn't seem to do such an efficient job on this.

Scratch
Would get it if I could find it. No one has it--not drug stores, not Health department, not hospital or Dr.'s offices. Got the regular flu shot, but can't even find that now for my grandkids. Grandkids will get the Swine flu (H1N1) in late December at school they say now--we will see. I have had no such luck. Kind of makes you wonder--if the government can mess up on vaccines for something they knew was coming, what will they do with harder medical things. Scares me!! They didn't seem to do such an efficient job on this.

You realize that it's private companies that manufacture the vaccine, the government is simply purchasing what the private companies are able to produce?

barbarac

There is vaccine, the government is in charge of distributing it and doing a poor job of it. Some states aren't getting any hardly and others are having big mass clinics. The county I live in has received only a little, like at my Dr.'s only enough for staff and a few kids. I have a special needs grandchild who can't get it yet--his school may be giving it right before Christmas vacation. Why aren't elementary school teachers in the group getting it now. If my son catches it, he will drag it home to his kids and spread it around--you know there are only so many sick days.

My point is, I do not feel the government has done a good job getting ready for this or distributing it. I don't think I would really want them handling other medical things.

davef

I had the vaccine just under two weeks ago, the only discomfort I had was a sore arm which kicked in about 2 days after getting the vaccine. It lasted about 2 days. Aside from that, no issues, no problems and no impact on my BG levels.

Next week my Daughter (12) is getting the vaccine, she has asthma (mild) but qualifies to get the first round of vaccination as she is in the "at risk" category.

e||ement

while i'm typically anti-vaccination, and believe we should let our bodies be exposed to viruses...i have decided to get this shot. (after tremendous agonizing!) i have never had a flu shot before. and with my toddler son, i even delayed his "required" vaccinations like MMR as long as i could.

i haven't yet received the shot because we are waiting for the arrival of the non-adjuvant vaccine, which is reportedly safer for pregnant women.

i am pregnant. i am type 1. i am asthmatic. i have a 2.5 year old in daycare who is constantly bringing home one virus or another and likes to share them with me.

i haven't heard any horror stories...in fact, i believe that (and correct me if i'm wrong...) australia administered this exact vaccine roughly 6 months ago and so far there have been no reports of side effects (other than those to be expected with any vaccination).

the vaccine itself is no less safe than any other vaccine (which DO contain toxins like mercury, for example).

i think you have to weight the benefits against the risks in your own particular case, and then feel comfortable with your decision.

whatever decision you make is the right one for you.

morrisma

Have had both seasonal and H1N1 this fall. Neither with even a sore arm. I had to keep calling the doc's office to get it though. The vaccine is safe and complications are rare. The flu is killing people. Get the vaccine.

Mike

Simon

Got a letter from my doctor here in the UK last week asking me to make an appointment for it. Phoned up today and they've run out! Next batch will be in December. I shall be grilling them for why they didn't order enough in the first place!

MacDogg

I work at a childrens Hostpital in Austin, TX and we just recieved notification that we are getting the shots starting Monday as long as we show up to get it. I'm in.

Meghann0409

I had H1N1. It BITES. I was seriously knocked my my @$$, which I partly blame on my asthma, but MAN... Inhalor wouldn't always help, had to have a nebulizer treatment, 2 bags of fluids for dehydration, nearly hospitalized because the prednisone I was put on to help me kick the last of it shot my sugars up to nearly 200 routinely...

If you can get it, get vaccinated. I got mine about 2w ago (2w after getting sick) with NO side efffects.

Outsulin

Interesting no one has commented on the Mercury in the vaccine. I have had the shot, but my wife who is 7 months pregnant has not. I have no problem dealing with the poison as an adult (I have a beer or three from time to time), but I would be concerned about the effects on my unborn.

CarrieOakey

Didn't have time to get the vaccine. I was sick with H1N1. Never been this sick in my whole life. Developped a chest infection and sinus infection right after.

Scratch
Interesting no one has commented on the Mercury in the vaccine. I have had the shot, but my wife who is 7 months pregnant has not. I have no problem dealing with the poison as an adult (I have a beer or three from time to time), but I would be concerned about the effects on my unborn.

How's this? There's more mercury in a can of tuna than there is in a vaccination shot.

Since you mention poison which implies toxicity, all things in sufficient quantities or concentration are toxic. Water can be toxic.

The amount of mercury in a vaccination is well below the toxic level.

Outsulin
How's this? There's more mercury in a can of tuna than there is in a vaccination shot.

Since you mention poison which implies toxicity, all things in sufficient quantities or concentration are toxic. Water can be toxic.

The amount of mercury in a vaccination is well below the toxic level.

But there is mercury in it right?

I'm agnostic on the whole subject. However, when I google "mercury, swine flu, pregnancy" there are lots of opinions out there. And I see Washington state changed its laws on what they considered a safe level of mercury allowed so they could distribute it. Where are the long term studies on the effects of this for unborn children? There arent any are there.

Given we are two months away. I have yet to see or hear enough evidence to leave me with full confidence that my wife should have it. You have to counter harmful effects vs likelihood of swine flu / death. The rate is low imo. That is why I put the point to the board.

Moreover, I asked my doctor if she would have it if she was pregnant, given that there is an element of mercury in it, and she said probably not...

All opinions are valid. Are you pregnant, what research did you do to get to the comfort level that any amount of mercury injected into you wouldnt be damaging to your unborn child? It's a weighty question, deserves a weighty answer.

Would be especially interesting to hear from medical/qualified practicioners who are pregnant... then you know there is an alignment of interests.

Joeprep4820

I received the shot a while back (got it through work) and experienced no nasty side effects besides a small red mark on my arm that went away in 24 hours, and the constant need to engorge myself on human brains.

morrisma
But there is mercury in it right?

I'm agnostic on the whole subject. However, when I google "mercury, swine flu, pregnancy" there are lots of opinions out there. And I see Washington state changed its laws on what they considered a safe level of mercury allowed so they could distribute it. Where are the long term studies on the effects of this for unborn children? There arent any are there.

Given we are two months away. I have yet to see or hear enough evidence to leave me with full confidence that my wife should have it. You have to counter harmful effects vs likelihood of swine flu / death. The rate is low imo. That is why I put the point to the board.

Moreover, I asked my doctor if she would have it if she was pregnant, given that there is an element of mercury in it, and she said probably not...

All opinions are valid. Are you pregnant, what research did you do to get to the comfort level that any amount of mercury injected into you wouldnt be damaging to your unborn child? It's a weighty question, deserves a weighty answer.

Would be especially interesting to hear from medical/qualified practicioners who are pregnant... then you know there is an alignment of interests.

All opinions are NOT valid. All supported opinions are valid. The consensus of scientists overwhelmingly supports getting the vaccine, especially for pregnant women. The mercury in the vaccine is ethel mercury, a type that quickly is flushed from the system and does not build up like methyl mercury did years ago. In any case, there is a single dose version that is mercury free for the unalterably squeemish. There are many studies of all the ingredients in vaccines and their effects. Most are available online.

Vaccine preventable diseases (including H1N1) are horrible and thanks to the stupidity of Jenny McCarthy and those who think like her, those preventable diseases are once again on the rise. Get the shot!

Mike

Cluck

I've had the vaccine with no ill effects. In fact, the shot for normal seasonal flu caused more side effects than the H1N1 vaccine.

I'm also pretty sure that I've had H1N1 anyway. I was sick for 3 days with a moderate fever, followed by chest and sinus infection. This was finally cleared up by a course of antibiotics.

morrisma

Cluck, antibiotics do not work on viruses. In fact, they are counterproductive as they help build antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria. Antibiotics are for infection. Not sure what you have but if it was H1N1, it wasn't the antibiotics that fixed it, you did!

Mike

Granny Shanny

Got our H1N1 vaccine this morning & so far no ill effects - can't even find the injection site when I know where it is! :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.